Ants: 0 Me: 15

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 73k5blazer, Jun 4, 2006.

1. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Dec 28, 2001
    I've successfully "taken care of" 15 ant colonys in the yard!
    They've been getting out of hand recently, and I needed to do something about it. Two of them were right by a nice tree and were destroying it. I'm on 2 acres, and was hitting a friggen ant pile every 2-3 passes with the mower, and decided it was time to do something about it.
    Some of the ant hills out in the 300acres behind me (all field/forests) are chest high, those buggers no how to build!
    I decided against chemicals because of the 5 year old and our pet. What I found to be extremely effective though was, get this: water.
    Fill a 5 gallon bucket, pour it on the colony. Repeat 2-3 times a/day for 3-4 days. Colony gone. Some were destroyed the first day. But I just wanted to make sure. I tried the hose on 1 first, it's too slow, I found too many ants were able to esacpe and the male winged ants would be able to come up and get away, and the female workers would be bringing up all the larvea and stashing them out of the target zone. 5gallons at once though, and they've got no chance.
    A quick reconnaissance mission today, 3 days after I last "treated", no activity at any of the 15 treated colonys, just a small "ground zero" depresison where the earth had sunk back down.
  2. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Mar 17, 2001
    if the regular hose wouldn't work, why do the fire hydrants look tempting.......

3. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Jun 23, 2000
    I waged war on the ants infront of my shop the other day. They had a big hill to the side in the gravel, and were trecking across my shop pad, and if I was working on a truck, me!

So, I decided I would pull a Hussien, and fight dirty with a weapon of mass destruction. I poured half a gallon of diesel down on top of their hill, and along the path that they took in my shop (deep crack they crawled through) then grabbed a cup of gasoline, tossed it on top, and lit her up!

Burned for almost an hour, and I haven't seen a single ant since. I made sure the fire didn't get into the crack in my foundation, but the diesel poured into there left dead ant bodies all over the place. I almost felt bad for them, but then I realized that I don't like it when red ants bite me, and didn't feel so bad anymore :P
  4. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Oct 24, 2005