Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ants

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 84gmcjimmy, Jul 2, 2005.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I have a bunch of ants down in the coldroom where we store food. How can I get rid of them? There not big, just tiny little ones. I killed 10+ in 2 minutes I was down there.
    Will little traps work? Or what?
    Haven't had an ant problem for many years...

2. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

How big are ya ants?

[​IMG]

3. dontoe

Always heard Boric Acid killed 'em safely, I suppose the local hardware would have it.

4. Grieby54

Grieby54 1/2 ton status

Figure out where they're getting inside from... then sprinkle cinnamon there... they hate this stuff and won't go near it. Just sprinkle generously... like a line of the stuff wherever they enter.

5. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

:eek1: That just struck me as funny. :haha:

6. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

thats a good idea, except I don't know where to find how they get in. It's in the basement so it could be anywhere, a crack in the foundation, a hole in some wood, etc. :crazy:

How do I kill them? Drop some on them?

7. Grieby54

Grieby54 1/2 ton status

So just run a line of it around the bottom of the wall all around your basement... and if there're any cracks elsewhere... poor some there too

8. dontoe

Sorry, mix it with a little sugar or jelly etc....

9. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

alright thanks I will try that guys!

10. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

we are still fighting them too...

Our ant invasion has been a bit worse than usual this year..we always find a few in the house,but this year they are getting to be a real pain..I have used Borax powder ,the "20 Mule team" brand like you add to your laundry to drive them away (they hate it--I dont know if it kills them,but it does repel them!--)..
    . I never knew about Cinnamon,I thought anything sweet would attract even more of them!...the ones bugging us the most are the big black ants..they look like carpenter ants,and that has me worried!--dont want them chewing up the structire of my house...we have some rotted floorboards in the bathroom,and I suspect they are in our coutertop in the kitchen--its that cheesy waferboard crap with veneer glued on it..I'll get them all eventualy!--I just dont want to go spraying ant killer everywhere--I'm afraid our cats will get poisoned before the ants do... :doah: :mad: :(

11. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Yeap, Boric Acid is good stuff. Works very well.

12. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

cannot find that borax stuff around here

just impossible

i dunno what the deal is

small ants are a PITA here

they are everywhere, plus red ones and big carpenter ones and termites and so on and so on, biullions of ants here,

i dont even try to control them,, just cant

impossible,

some good ant killer spray around entire foundation and borax and/or ant traps indoors would be the way, dunoo any other ways really other than maybe outdoor spikes

also i have found that getting mouse glue paper traps work great for indoor insects, spiders, flies and silverfish and such, the paper traps are inexpensive

13. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

You should be able to find Borax

I found the "20 Mule team" Borax at the supermarket,in the laundry detergent aisle...any large store should carry it.."Boraxo" hand soap has Borax in it,maybe you can find that,and use it to wash your hands AND repel the ants!..as a last resort,those "diazonon" (spelled wrong probably) crystals sprinkled around your foundation will kick those ants butts dead in no time!--

I'd use it myself,but I dont want the kittens outside to get into it..dont need any dead cats..I already dig enough graves here for all the moles,birds,and other dead animals they kill and drag home,or skunks and squirrels that get run over in front of my house..

I'm ready to build a flamethrower and burn everything within 5 feet of the house!..ant hills galore all over the place!...I'm hoping they continue to dwindle in numbers..only had 2 or 3 in the kitchen today..better than the 20+ I smashed the other day... :doah: :crazy:

14. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

You mean diazinon? ... I think that stuff is pretty nasty.
    I'd use diatomateous earth, it's a non-toxic crystalline salt. Just sprinkle it around the foundation of the house. You can pick it up at a feed supply store or I think Home Depot carries it too in to pool filter supply section. A very cheap, safe and environmentally friendly solution.

15. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

Diazinon is banned around here. Triazinon is the new improved stuff?

16. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

17. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

how do they get inside to get the poison? Is there a hole I can't see?

Interesting, you always have a lot of good ideas!

Thanks everyone, so far there isn't to many more. Must just be a small colony or something. luckily...

18. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

There is a hole on the round part of the stake that sticks out of the ground. What I usually do is run a little hot water over the hole and then stir it up really good with something pointy (a nail or toothpick or something like that). You place the stake in the middle of their path and pretty soon, they are attracted to the poison. They will carry the poison back to their nest which not only kill them but will kill their friends and family, too. The thing with ant stakes is that you have to be patient and let them run around until they take the bait. Sometimes you are tempted to squish them or spray them with bug spray, but you should let them swarm around the stake. I think these are not good to put where you have pets because puppies and kitties may want to lick them and that would be bad. I have always had really good results using them tho.

Good luck!