Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any 1911 builders here?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Jagged, Dec 6, 2006.

1. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Apr 25, 2005
    One of the things I've been wanting to try my hand at is building firearms and knives. The knife part is pretty easy to get a grasp for, there's plenty of easy (and difficult) kits available to get an idea what the process is for a custom knife.

Firearms are a different story. I figure something like a kit 1911 or AK would be an easily-available starting point. I'd like to try something I'm at least remotely familiar and try to put together a 1911.

My idea was to find a 1911 frame and parts kit to get a feel for things. Any of y'all builders and have any comments/suggestions?
  2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Feb 24, 2000
    Ooh interesting Mitch...Now I'm curious...
  3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Jul 20, 2000
    Well the first thing to do is get your self a cheap 1911 like a Rock or an other version of Armscor 1911. They are a great base to build from and dont cost a bunch to buy. Why pay for a big name? You can get A Rock Island 1911 new for under 350. Then get the parts you want.
    go here:
    http://www.wilsoncombat.com/index_1911_part_acc.htm Wilson Combat makes great 1911 build stuff

For around 500-700(including the price of the gun and gunsmithing if you dont do it your self) you can build an armscor gun to shoot as good as any high dollar gun.
    I have a High Standard 1911 that people with kimbers, Sigs, built Colts ECT just love to pick up angd shoot. They cant believe It is an Armscor.
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2006

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Mar 4, 2001
    I would look into getting a long gun kit while you still can.
    I have two of these now, a bipod barrel and non bipod barrel version.

This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine.
    7.62X51 baby..

The non bipod barreled one is gonna get shortened down to 16.5" and get a folding stock.
    The bipod one is gonna be left alone except for some nice tiger striped wood furniture, parked and duracoated black.

Kits are fairly cheap depending on which one ya want, recievers can be had from $189 - to $500.
    So far I have $680 into the bipod one and still need to get the required 7 USA made parts to make it 922r compliant.

Ya need a few special tools to put em together but those are not that much $$ and they are easy to build, even for a 1st timer.

After I build these I will start getting more handguns. I have a feeling that in a couple of years getting a milsurp rifle will be a thing of the past.
    Guns & 4x4s.. ;)