Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any 2002 1500HD owners out there?

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by ntaj*ep, Jul 25, 2002.

1. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Thinking of buying a new tow vehicle, a 1500HD. I drove one the other day with the 3.73 gears, it felt super slow. I'm going to drive a Denali or something similar with the 4.10s to see the difference. I think it may just be that I'm used to my 2000 2wd Silverado, but I don't know. Anyone have one of these trucks? Do you like it, hate it?

2. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

They usually wake up after about 10K, get a lot faster

3. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Ya, my 2000 did get a bit quicker around 5000mi. I drove a 1500HD with the 4.10s today, I liked it alot better than the 3.73 truck. It felt way better on the freeway, had a bit more pep. Plus it won't hurt towing /forums/images/icons/grin.gif . I had them start to locate the model, color I want. If they give me good money on my trade I would love it.

4. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

4:10s really wakes 'em up. For being such a slight difference in gear atio, it's amazeing how much it improves the feel.

Driveing one with some miles on it has just about the same effect.
    I think G.M. has somekind of "soft-burn" program in the PCM, because once they click over 10,000 miles, it's like driveing a entirly different truck. (BTW it seems to me 10K is the sweet-spot too)
    You would think, by 10K the engine is well broken in, rings are seated, bearings, cam, ect.
    Everything should be broken in well before that.
    So why do they suddenly start "standing-tall" after 10K? -I have no idea-

5. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

OK, so no trucks in the colors, package I want! I guess I'll have to order a 2003 or something. Still want to know what some other drivers have to say. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

6. The_Sandman_454

The_Sandman_454 1/2 ton status

What would be interesting to do would be take the computer from the truck that is over 10k and is having ridiculously good performance, and swap it with one from an otherwise similar truck that had under 10k and not performing, and see if their characteristics have switched with the computers... That'd get us an idea if it was the programming of the computer or something else. I assume these things now record mileage electronically inside them, so no worrying about that... Just an idea... /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

7. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

what are you planning on towing? the 1500 is only a half ton, and isn't really a tow vehicle. What engine/transmission combo did it have?

if your looking to tow something rather large, and heavy, get the D/A combo- or the 8.1/A combo. Those 2 are both ready for some serious towing! And they ride pretty darn close to a cadillac.

BTW, I don't have a 1500HD, we have a 2500HD, and LOVE it, just over 30,000 miles, 6 months old, it's a Crew Cab, Short bed, Duramax/Allison Combo- 4.10 gears, all the bells and whistles we need- no leather, and no rear defroster, no onstar, and no heated mirrors. Other than that, the ol girl has everything, full power, am/fm/cass/cd, etc. etc.

love my truck, and would only get rid of it with another of the same make/model/year. No 2003 for me, something about the redesigned body is not to my style....now's the time to get a 2002, call around, there are TONS of these things at dealerships!

Brandy

8. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Good to hear you like your 2500HD. The 1500HD has the 6.0l, and I would like to get the 4.10s. Unfortunatly I waited too long and the 02s with what I want are nowhere to be found. The 1500HD is a 3/4ton and will tow 10,300lbs. The 2wd silverado 1500 I currently have tows 8,400lbs. which is the blazer and trailer just fine. If I wanted a fully loaded 1500HD 2002, I could have one now. But I don't need all the bells and whistles. I would rather spend that money on doing the things I like for the truck. If you've driven a 6.0l truck what were your impressions? You say yours is a crew cab, short bed how do you like driving/parking it everyday?

9. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

What trans? 4L80 I would think? What makes it a H/D? (hate to say it, but I don't know)

If thats the combo, I have driven afew 2500 with the 6.0s/4l80s and have been very impressed.
    That is the combo I would pick, no a doubt about it.
    The power is a slight bit off from the 5.3/4L60s (un-loaded), mostly due to the larger trans and grears, I would think. But, the fuel economy and power (compared to the 5.7L C/Ks) is/would be better.
    The best of both worlds, If thats possible.

Like I said, If I was in the market, anything with the 6.0L, trans to match (4L80s a bit too large, 4L60s a bit too small, IMO), and a 9.5" ring gear would sell me in a hart beat, No problem.

(edited)
    Still not what your looking for, I haven't driven a "true" 1500 H/D yet.

10. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

I haven't driven the 6.0- but a few friends of ours have them. up here, if your going to tow something, your towing with a 2500HD, or a F350- etc.

The turning radius of this truck is a LOT larger than I had hoped, my suburban was easier than easy to parallel park, this thing, well lets just say I dont. Other than that I love driving it. Brother in law has an extended cab (2 fake door) Cummins with 8' bed, and that seems to do parking lot manuvers better. For a comparison.

our Z-71 had plenty of power, though we didn't tow with that. I'm still not sure WHY we have a Duramax, since we don't tow, but the ol' man wanted it so here it is...

seriously though, now's the time to get the 2002 WITH the bells and whistles- your going to pay the same as you would with the 2003 WITHOUT them! 2003's are in production, and some dealers have them already.

Brandy

11. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

OK, so, now I'm thinking 2500HD Serria. I really don't like the frontend on the Chev. 2500HDs. But they don't have a lower model with what I want either. /forums/images/icons/confused.gif Maybe I'm being too pickie. But damn it I want to be! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
    All the dealers are saying they won't get '03s for about 8 weeks or so. I know there lieing, but oh well. I'll just keep my truck and wait some more. Thanks for the input though. I would probibly think of the diesel if it wasn't a $6500.00 option with an auto. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

12. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

diesel automatic- ALLISON--- worth EVERY penny you could pay!

wait 8 weeks, then find a 2002 left over on a lot, and get it for about 8-9K less than the 2003!

Brandy

13. IGOR

IGOR 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Hey - before you get an '03 GMC - check out the hideous gap between the grill & front bumper - GM just filled it with a black plastic filler - looks like crap!

I have an '02 2500HD Sierra Crew with the 8.1/Alli/3:73 - I
    love it!! (although I went from driving a '75 Chevy K20 to this - so I was a little easy to impress!!)

My dad has a '02 Chevy 1500HD with the 6.0/4L80/3:73 - the difference between my truck and his is huge - his truck is gutless compared to my 496! - although he hasn't reached 10K miles yet either - he loves his truck except when it's next to mine!

My wife and I take our truck everywhere - I haven't towed anything with it - but love it as a daily driver - get about 10 mpg - 11 or 12 on the freeways...

Hope this helps..

14. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Well, I think the newer new truck idea is over. However, IGOR you need to PM me since you have a 1st. Gen. and all. When you go wheelin' I would love to tag along. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif