Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

any 2wd have 6lug

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by arq, Mar 22, 2001.

1. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

I have a 72 4x4 that i am considering converting to 2wd. I noticed the the potential 2wd doner has the 5lug pattern. Did any of the first generation 2wd come with the 6lug pattern?? I also i want to maintain the original 4x4 stock height once converted to 2wd. i want keep the rear suspension intact. would i require additional modification to the 2wd once put on to maintain the 4x4 height??

thanks,

ARQ.

2. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

No six lugs on any 2WD that I'm aware of. As far as original height....a 2WD can be as tall as you want....see the shot of mine under the "2wd come on post". You can replace the stock 6 lug rear axle with a 5 lug easy enuff.

Michael[​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm>http://www.jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm</A>

3. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

nice blazer, but i did want to keep the original 6lug. I just got some rims painted the same color as the blazer. Also i put in rear disk brakes. it's a pain to do it all over again.

thanks,

ARQ.

4. HuskerBlazer

HuskerBlazer 1/2 ton status

Well, if I'm not mistaken ALL Chev 1/2 ton trucks up to 71 had a 6 lug pattern. So taking stuff from a 2WD truck from 67-70 should have the same stuff that a Blazer from those years (if more than just a few were actually made) should be no problem.
    As far as height...those 2WD trucks sat up in the air quite a bit but I don't know if they are $x$ height.

5. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

You can check into adapters or have the rotors redrilled for 6 lug.

Michael[​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm>http://www.jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm</A>

6. Crushergmc

Crushergmc 1/2 ton status

Let's see if I can help: I do know that 71 up 1/2 ton 2wd trucks were 5 lug only. I think the last year for 5 lug 1/2 ton 2wd was 66. I do know that the 2wd sat lower than the 4x4. I think the reason the the 2wd was lower was the rear coils were lower or for leafs the spring hangers were lower ( I do know that the leaf hangers are different).

70 Jimmy, 454, 2wd
    56 GMC, Big Window

7. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

2WD trucks earlier than '71 are 6 lug....drum brakes! Not the hot setup.

Michael[​IMG]

8. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

Yes ya'll are right......disk brakes were not placed on chevy trucks until 1971 when the 1/2 ton was equipped with front disks. That is when they changed over to the 5 lug pattern I believe. To the best of my knowlege all drum brake trucks prior to that were 6 lug. My 68 chassis is 6 lug,
    A note on the ride height. If you want 6 lug you may go to 3/4 ton. They rode heigher and had leaf springs in the rear.

BTW hey mike, I like the cage since you got it done.

Dreamin 1st Gen Blazers
    Like em big and topless

9. Crushergmc

Here's a strange on for y'all. My 70 Jimmy 4x4 came with discs. I can't remember if it was on the option sheet. I do know it was stock. It is also a Custom so maybe that's it.

70 Jimmy, 454, 2wd
    56 GMC, Big Window

10. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

Only 2wd K5 I've ever seen was 5 lug.

The new (99+/\) 2wd trucks have 6 lugs. Maybe you could do a swap.

Lift It, Lock It, LIVE IT!!!

11. Big_Ugly_Diesel

Big_Ugly_Diesel Registered Member

I have a rear end out of a 1983 blazer that I will sell you just the axles out of if they will work for you. They are six lug. I have the whole thing drum to drum if you are interested.

12. Crushergmc

I think it's the front end that arq needs as a 6 lug.

"KEEP IT DOWN"
    70 Jimmy, 454, 2wd
    56 GMC, Big Window

13. ImpalaSS

ImpalaSS 1/2 ton status

ok let me shed some light here...... first off if you want it stock height than WHY convert it to a 2wd? dosnt make sense to me.... second off ALL 1/2 2wd had 6 lug drum brake setups up untill 1971 BUT they DO make aftermarket 6 lug rotors for the 71-72 5 lug disk brakes...... www.classicperform.com

14. Crushergmc

I think they call it a Prerunner. good for desert running. Lighter weight.

"KEEP IT DOWN"
    70 Jimmy, 454, 2wd
    56 GMC, Big Window

15. ImpalaSS

ImpalaSS 1/2 ton status

that is what i was guessing but i just was intrested and wanted to know........

68 SWB 4x4 1 of 1,449 made 327, 465 4 speed, rockwell tcase, edelbrock performer intake+carb, MSD pro billet http://communities.msn.com/68K10

16. Cusm

Cusm 1/2 ton status

Or perhaps he is liek me and loves the looks of a nice high K5, but has no need of 4x4 or the added expence. A better question would be why do people that never see a trail need 4x4? I think there are more people driving a 4x4 because they think it is safer and will never see anything more hazardous than some rain on the way to the country club.

Good lord. The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up it's butt.

17. ImpalaSS

ImpalaSS 1/2 ton status

that is very true Cusm..... but me i need 4 wheel drive to get up my driveway! lol

68 SWB 4x4 1 of 1,449 made 327, 465 4 speed, rockwell tcase, edelbrock performer intake+carb, MSD pro billet http://communities.msn.com/68K10

18. Cusm

Cusm 1/2 ton status

That is how it is at my dad's house, me on the other hand have been born and bred city boy. Maybe one day the I may hear the trail calling, then I will have to add another K5 to the family, but till then I will be cruising around in my wanna be trailer queen. [​IMG]

Good lord. The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up it's butt.

19. Alexmart1

Alexmart1 Registered Member

70 2wd blazer came stock with 6 lug i kjnow i had them

20. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

thanks for the info. i had not checked this for a while. to answer some of your questions.

yes, i do like the looks of the 72 and was going for a prerunner setup. i decided not to and am going for an 4x4 8-lug setup. i just like 4wheeling. especially after what happen this past weekend. tore up my rear drive shaft going up a sand dune, well not all sand it bottomed out and hit rock. ouch, i then had a front wheel drive blazer. cool... i drove it about 200 miles home. i am keeping the 4x4 setup.

thanks all,

ARQ.

1-72 4x4 CST Blazer
    2-71 4x4 CST Blazer