Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any 305 people?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stockk5, Nov 22, 2004.

1. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have a question for you people who like me are stuck w/ a 305 engine in there K5. I just put my 33" pro comp mud terrain tires on it. My truck didnt exactly have get up and go before, its not much different now on city streets but on the highway if there is a slight uphill it struggles to stay at 55. Any of you run the same set up as me? Any way to make it a lil easier to go faster or do i just have to deal w/ it till i can get a 350. By the way i have a 700r4 w/ 0D tranny in it. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

u could regear it or swap in 3/4 ton axles, my old truck had a 305 in it, i had 35" thornbirds on it with 3.08 gears, it was a dog, swapped in a set of 3/4 ton axles with 4.10 in them, with a set of 38.5 tsl's, i could spin those tires all day long /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Just forget about using overdrive unless you are on flat freeway over 65 mph . Sounds exactly like you have 3.08 gears . Probably works great off road though thanks to the auto . Sooner or later you will want lower gears for your truck . I "only" went to 3.73's recently as I have a second truck to get them from ( and I can regear the project later ) , and the difference is night and day . It will still kick to 3rd on some steep grades , but it doesn't hunt anymore , and it doesn't need to go to 2nd as often either . If you are stuck for now leave it in 3rd , or drive for later truck indicators /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

oh hmmm i may have to be getting some new gears then. 3.73 and 4.10's what would be the difference in both as in how my truck performs. Wont 4.10's make my engine run real high rmps at anything above 50? Im still learning all this stuff so thanks for bearing w/ me. Also could someone point me in a directions where you can buy some new gears?

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

4.10's would be nice with 33's. Your RPM's would be around 2K in OD at 65mph, about perfect. Remember, stock 3/4/1 tons came with 4.10's and 31's. 4.56's would give you a little extra get up and go but would slightly hurt economy on the highway, not much though. You could get gears from a lot of different places including Randy's Ring & Pinion but installing them should be left to a qualified mechanic or very good amateur that knows what he is doing.

6. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I went 3.73 because I had them . I would go 4.10's with 33's if I had to buy new gears and get them installed . At 65 mph with 3.73's I read 1800 rpm , 4.10's will be like 2000 rpm as mentioned in the post above . You won't over rev it , as a matter of fact if I drop it to 3rd , it only goes up to 2500 rpm . Way safe . you could go 85 mph and still NEVER see 3000 rpm at cruise /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

7. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Not with overdrive. It will put your motor alot closer to its power curve in OD and be nicer to the tranny.

I ran 4.56's and 32's and LOVED it. I now have 4.56's and 35's and wish I had 4.88's.

With the OD tranny the lower gears are better.

Harley

8. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

Put it in third and step on it! If it that fails, put it in second! Mine will do 60 in second on just about any grade in cali. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9. 84blazin

84blazin 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]
    mine with 35s and a 305.. hehe It gets up and goes. Could be the Vortec heads that might help it along. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

10. scrappyk5

scrappyk5 1/2 ton status

two options that are easy and somewhat cheap enough.
    since you only have 33's , you can either add some goodies to the engine in the way of intake and exhaust.
    or as they said above , change your gearing to atleast
    4:10's /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Also, a good aftermarket intake (Edelbrock Performer) helps it breathe some too.

John