Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any 4.3 guru's here?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by conoverbandit, Mar 3, 2005.

1. conoverbandit

conoverbandit 1/2 ton status

Hey Y'all,

I just replaced the 4.3 in our 93 chevy van. It's doing fine except, I can't seem to get the timing right on it to the point where it's happy. I set it by the sticker inunder the hood, (0 degrees) it cranks and runs fine till it get operating temp. if you shut it off and wait a min.or so it'sreal sluggish when trying to start back like the timing is "high" or something. I went back twice this evening and adjusted it but no help..... I set it with a timing gun the first time with adv.unhooked. ran great, but still had the "hot start" problem. so the second time, I set it by pulling #1 to tdc, and checked my rotor button, it was between #1 and #6, so I reposistioned it back to #1 and fired it up, let it run untill it got operating temp. shut it off and let it sit a minute, cranked right back up. Wife takes it about 3 or so miles, calls me and says "it's still doing it" won't crank back till it cools off a bit. This thing's got me bugged, I'm almost starting to think possibly a "sort of weak" starter? maybe engine heat is doing something to it? making it weak? I've set it twice, I had it "set be ear" which it ran good, but had a bad "ping" or lifter rattle to it. like it couldn't get enough octane to run? Thanks for your time,

2. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

Did you unplug the tan/blackstripe wire...Adjust the timing to 0degrees, then plug the wire back in???

Rob

3. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

did you make sure that you used the right line on the blancer. Because there are two marks on the 4.3 blancer. It is a very easy mistake to make i did it my self on my s-10 blazer

4. conoverbandit

Yes I did unplug the tan wire....

And I got the hanes book out and it said to "ignore" the first balancer mark and shoot the 2nd one?????

Why is the forst one on there then?

5. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

i think the first one was on there for checking advance with a magnetic probe. I don not know for sure though

6. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Did you replace the starter when you put in the new engine? Maby old starter, new engine is your problem.

7. thfonz98

thfonz98 1/2 ton status

check wiring connections and especially grounds from battery to starter and block. I was going through a starter a year till i fixed my grounds(on my 87 s10 blazer).

8. conoverbandit

Hey Y'all,

Well it finally "did it" with me today, I did check my ground wire cause it bolts to the lower right front of the block. It sounds to me like the starter it's self is "weak" when it hits the right spot. Meaning if it sits anytime and cools off, it starts fine, but if you turn it off and try to crank it right back it drags like. I'm going to check the batt. cable to starter tomm. and see if that helps.If not then I will replace the starter and see if that cures it. Thanks for the help.

9. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

yeah definitely go over grounds, clean an rebolt them, etc,

10. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Are you talking about a vacuum advance? If so this is your problem as a 1993 should not have a distributor with a vacuum advance or mechanical advance, the ECM controls advance in these engines. The tan striped wire you disconnect to adjust timing allows you to set timing without the ECM controling it until this wire is re-connected.