Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any .44 Mag reloaders on here?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Derf00, Aug 22, 2004.

1. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

I have recently started reloading again. When purchasing supplies I looked at some new books and found a big discrepincy in the amount of powder used on some loads I used to reload. I found that in the Speer reloading manual I have always used that using Blue Dot, a 240 grain JHP bullet, magnum primers, that the recommended load ranged from 16.2 -17 grains. The new books I was looking at recommended 11.2-12 grains. Anybody have any insight as to what's up?

I went to a local gun shop and didn't get a whole lot of satisfaction about why the big difference in the loads using the same powder. I did change to H110 for my latest batch and it worked very well, and wasn't quite as dirty as the Blue Dot.

2. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Books continually show smaller and smaller amounts of powder for a given cartridge. This is some dumb asses means of avoiding a lawsuit. They will get it down to where you can double charge(with the small quantity) and still be safe. That way if somebody double chages and fires it nothing to fear.

3. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

I need to get back into reloading. Haven't done any in a while. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Still keep looking at Dillon's. Sure would beat my old single stager Herters set up. But the price was right. I wish I could remember what charge i uses on some 300 gr Hornady's. Those were a treat to shoot. Especially in my 3" Magnaport custom /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Some of the differences is because the manufacturers loads are designed to be used with that specific bullet. If you change the bullet the loads can change. Different bullets have different seating depths. The deeper it is seated the less powder you need to acheive a specific pressure.

Some of it is companies trying to cover there own arse.

Bottom line is use the data for the bullet you are using and follow the seating depth they call for. Never start with a max load and work loads up while looking for signs of excessive pressure.

Some of the heavier bullets for the .44 also have 2 different seating channelures. Know which one you need to seat to. This could also be the difference in your powder charge between bullets.

Harley

5. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

I agree with everything you say, but my question was about why the same load for the same bullet using the same power changed several grams over a span of 15 yrs? Either the powder has changed or as someone else suggested, the manufacturers are just CYA in case of litigation.

6. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    They will get it down to where you can double charge(with the small quantity) and still be safe

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. The companies that put out reloading manuals do extensive testing of their loads, and their reccommendations should NEVER be double charged. That is unless you know someone who can pick shrapnel from a blown up firearm out of your face/eyes.

For an answer to your ?? by those who would know for sure go to Accurate Reloading.

Could be speer trying to cover their ass as well. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
    Do you know how to identify signs of excess pressure by looking at the fired case? The Speer manual tells how. I would just work up loads in 1/2 grain increments, and keep an eye out for excess pressure. When you see the signs, back off a grain and consider that your maximum. I use Unique in my 250 gr. plinking loads in my .45 Colt. For the 300 gr. heavy "sledgehammer" loads, I use H110.
    [​IMG]

7. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Powder has gotten better over time. Improvements in technology occur in the powder industry just like every other.

If it is the same bullet from the same manufacturer that is changing loads then there could also be other factors. Bullets change too and COL may have changed. Also the standard for the maximum CUP or PSI may have changed for that particular caliber for some reason. Or it may be them trying to cover there ass. Who knows exactly.

8. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Does anybody have SAAMI specification for this caliber from way back. Compare it to current SAAMI spec and that should shed some light on what is going on. I don't believe they allow powders to change much if any at all. Some poor bastard out there reloading with an old book may be in for a hell of a surpise if they went and messed around with these things. If they figure out a way to make a particular powder better they give it a new name. Release new load data for it.

That's just my take on this stuff. I could be all wrong.