Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any '44 Will Do?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 79Guy, Jul 13, 2000.

1. 79Guy

79Guy 1/2 ton status

Any \'44 Will Do?

Hey All,

Thanks much to the more experienced guys who must have heard some of these questions 5000 times, yet always seem willing to give an answer. Thanks. That really makes this a great place.

I've got a stock 79 with the 10bolt in front. Thinking of looking for a '44.

I assume I can look check at a local salvage yard. Do I just ask for a '44. Will any '44 fit? Are there different ones? Does year matter? What all will come w/ it (like steering nuckles and stuff?).

79 Guy

7 Chiln - 1 Blazer

2. ggallin13

ggallin13 1/2 ton status

Re: Any \'44 Will Do?

There are different widths of Dana 44s, depending on the application--I think. Heep guys usually upgrade to those, but they are still 1/2 ton axles. No big deal in a dinky Heep, but not strong enough for a full-size Blazer. I think Heeps come with Dana 30s, which tells you what they are designed for (mall parking lots).

Still, since it's the front a 10-bolt will probably do just fine if you don't have a locker. If you have a locker, you'l snap stuff for sure. I don't think the small strength gain you may get from a Dana 44 will be worth the money.

3. 79Guy

79Guy 1/2 ton status

Re: Any \'44 (66) Will Do?

Same questions then, but will any '60 do?

7 Chiln - 1 Blazer

4. ggallin13

ggallin13 1/2 ton status

Here is where I personally am a little hazy, but I think Dana 60s are Dodge truck axles. They seem to be the preferred front axle for trucks designed to handle 4+ trails. I will be getting one next year probably, and I have never heard of any width issues. They don't bolt up because of the steering components and the spring perches, but they are pretty tough to break from what I gather, but not impossible. They are also spendy. However, they are way tougher then a stock axles or a Dana 44 by a long way. I am sure you can run up to 38s with a Dana 60, if that counts for anything.

5. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

The Dana 44 is really closely matched to the 10 bolt. I say a 44 is a little better, but not worth the trouble to do the swap. Save up money and get a 60. Chevy, Ford and Dodge put the 60 in the front of their 1 ton trucks.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

6. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

GM produced trucks with the Dana 60 in their 1 tons (single rear wheel and dually). The years can be found from 76-87. These will bolt right in since the spring perch width is the same. The blazers stock steering will also bolt up with no problems. I've been told that Dodges are the same but after measuring the spring perches on one dodge, there was 1/2" of difference. The only problem is all front Dana 60's have a 8 lug pattern so you would have to change the rear (unless you order the 60 from Dynatrac$$$). Ford Dana 60's have the pumpkin on the wrong side. Between the 44 and 10 bolt, I'd just keep the 10 bolt since there's not much of a difference between the 2. If you go with a 60, stay away from the dually version.

Shawn
    87 K5
    79 1 ton Dana 60 front
    80 14 bolt rear

7. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I dont know about your salvage yards but here they are all computerized...so when I call I have to play their game. If I want to see if they have any D60 I have to tell them I have a 80 chevrolet K30. Or a D44 I have to say I have a 85 chevrolet K20 (they year doesnt matter late 70's early and mid 80's). I tried explaining my modifications and what I was trying to do and they were idiots. And what ever you do dont pull it your self unless you have 5-6 guys to help.
    Good Luck