Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any 4X4 clubs in SoCal?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by grumpy, Dec 31, 2001.

1. grumpy

grumpy 1/2 ton status

As my K-5 will be off-road worthy in a couple of weeks, I am looking for a club or group to hhok up with. I am in San Diego BTW.
    David

2. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

Well Hell, just watch the boards, there's a bunch of us in So Cal and we go wheelin about once a month, we're planning for the MDA run the first weekend of feb, and TDS in march. Keep an eye open for any posts in this forum or in the blazin trails forum.

Leland aka RaisedK5

"Of all the things I've lost, I think I miss my mind the most!"
    "Are the voices in my head bothering you?

3. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

Check the Blazin Trails board ocasionally too. I'm on Camp Pendleton, probably not too far from you. That MDA run is at Ocitillo Wells off highway 78.

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/chvyhs>WebShot Pics</a>

4. COYOTE35

COYOTE35 1/2 ton status

check the California 4 wheel drive association board (www.cal4wheel.com), they have links to a ton of affiliated clubs. Thats how I found mine.

Whats wrong with big and wide?

5. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

You can find several clubs on the Cal 4 Wheel list as was stated above, but I will forewarn you - most of them will turn a cold shoulder on your full size K5! Most of them are Jeep only, and they like to keep it that way (which is their prerogative I guess). I have one club that I go out with frequently (Inland Empire 4 Wheelers) and even though they are mostly Jeeps, they are cool with my K5, and are often impressed when I follow them through the trails.

I'm glad you brought this up, because this is something that I have wanted to do for some time now (just can't seem to find the time to organize it all). I want to form a 4x4 club for us Blazer guys here in SoCal! There are a LOT of us here in SoCal, so I would think that we could easily do it if we wanted to! I have talked with the forest manager in San Bernardino, and he has a bunch of trails that are up for "adoption" - he would love for me to sign our club up for an Adopt-A-Trail! We could get a Club sticker, maybe some shirts, etc...and also try to set up some Pizza &amp; beer meetings, where we can swap stories, look at each other's rigs, trade pictures, etc...my Jeep club does this every second Tuesday of the month at a pizza joint in Colton (they call it the Roundup) - they all have pizza/beer/coke and watch a 4x4 video, then go outside, have a contest, try out the Articulation ramp and just BS for a while! It is fun!

What does everyone think about this?? I mean, we already meet pretty much once a month for runs, why not meet in a social place just for fun? Use it to plan runs and stuff. I would also say that although our club would be geared toward K5s, I think we should let in anyone who wants to be there - cause I don't think we should be as snobby as the Jeep clubs, and in my view, wheelers are wheelers, so if they want to hang out with us, that's cool with me. Anyways, anyone else interested in something like this??

6. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

That sounds like an awsome idea, i was kinda thinking the same thing when this question was asked, "Aren't we kind of a club already??", I like the idea, I'm game, We need a catchy name, like the So Cal Big Dogs , Or Blazers R Us, (ok not that one) or something, but i do like the idea of it being open to all, no need to descriminate, If we could get it set up before the runs in Feb or march, we could prob get a mention in a mag too. Hmm, i vote Keith Panza for president. But i'll help, im soon to have tons of free time. (still need a new job people, Hint, hint, help a brother out).
    Anyway, i've never done anything like set up a club, but feed me some info and i'll be more than happy to help.

Leland aka RaisedK5

"Of all the things I've lost, I think I miss my mind the most!"
    "Are the voices in my head bothering you?

7. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Leland, I will only take the presidency if I am supplied with a couple of "interns"!!! [​IMG] ha,ha Yeah, I think it is time for us to actually get a club going, might as well make it official! I will look at my In Gear magazine and check out some of the Club names, maybe get an idea from there...I think it would be cool.

8. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

Let's get it going then. Seeing that I have never been part of any off road club I probably won't be of much help to getting it going, but like Leland said. give me something to do or find and I'll do it. I too nominate KEITH PANZA for prez. And as far as interns, well there's always Suzie Rotencrotch[​IMG]

<font color=blue>It's easier to teach a child than to fix an adult.</font color=blue>

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/geltyone>Webshots Pics.</a>

9. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Well, let's try to pick an upcoming weekend to meet then! I was thinking that as soon as we can decide on a name, we can also come up with ideas for a Club Insignia (for shirts, stickers, vehicle plaques, etc). I have dealt with Jeff at Lyons, so we could get him to produce the stickers once we decided on a design. But maybe I am getting ahead of myself. Let's see who is interested and then we can start deciding on things like designs and stuff.

I also think I might put up another post so that the SoCal people know that we are thinking about here, cause not everyone would look at this post by the title. I have all kinds of ideas from my Jeep club that we could use! [​IMG] I love the "fines" they give out (they have a "Club Sheriff") for things like broken parts on trail, not having the club sticker displayed, not making a certain number of events, etc! It is fun! Of course, one of our big tasks would be to make a Club Website, so we need some computer savvy people (I'm sure my brother could help out there)...man, this could be fun! I always feel like an "outsider" when I go to big events, but with our club we could be "cool"!! ha,ha

So, I think the first thing we need to do is agree on an upcoming pizza/beer meeting where we could hash out ideas and maybe assign people to certain tasks? I would say the sooner the better! What do y'all say?

Keith

PS - we would of course need our own "Club RTI Ramp"!!!!!! [​IMG] This could be fun!! [​IMG]

10. dannyd

dannyd Registered Member

I live in Long Beach and I'm interested. I have a stock k5 w/ 31" AT's. I just like to take it to the desert or mountains for camping or a little light off-roading since it's my daily driver.
    I like the idea of pizza, beer, an BSing about blazers.

11. jhughes

jhughes Registered Member

Count me in for a So. Cal Club as well. I live in Redlands. My Blazer is an 84' with 4" lift and 33s. Let me know the meeting time and place.