Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any 73 K5's out there with the Edelbrock Tubular Exhaust System?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mofugly13, Apr 9, 2003.

1. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

Any 73 K5\'s out there with the Edelbrock Tubular Exhaust System?

I've decided that I wanna run the Edelbrock TES on my Blazer, but the only applications it has listed are for 83-86 with air injection. Have any of you all fit these to your 73? Why would they NOT fit? I have a th350 and a 203. I am going to cap off the AIR fittings as my 73 is smog exempt. Anyone have any comments? /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Re: Any 73 K5\'s out there with Edelbrock TES?

The Edl TES is mainly designed for computer controlled late model cars and trucks with cat convertors.. It was not designed for and may not fit your 73 without modifications. 400 bucks /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif is a lot of money to spend for a set of headers that may not fit right.
    If you want a good quality set of headers. You might want to look into a set of Doug Thorley Try Y headers. They make them for your year of truck. They are an excellent header for trucks. come with a non rusting nickle chrome finish for around $325 you will also get more power/torque out of a set of full length headers like the Thorleys.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I am with him on the tri Ys. My buddy put them on his truck it was a huge torque increase, the coating turned all sorts of pretty colors, now his rig has purple and blue under the hood /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif. Looks a lot better than rust though. His had holes for air injection and o2 sensor.

4. mofugly13

Thanks for the replies fellas. I like the look of shorty's and I like the fact that you could get these with a pre-fabbed crosover. I was wondering if anyone had installed the TES on their 73-whatever year things changed, K5. I do like the Thorley tri Y's though, and If I got a full length header that's probably what I'd get.

5. CrazyCoot

CrazyCoot Registered Member

Thorley makes a prefab cross over pipe too.

I would go for the Thorley headers and dual pipes. Just installed mine. Excelent build quality.

6. BlazinRojo

BlazinRojo 1/2 ton status

Re: Any 73 K5\'s out there with the Edelbrock Tubular Exhaust System?

I installed TES headers/crossover on my 83, and I can't say enough about their quality. They fit like a glove, which is why i'm a little dubious about them bolting up to your '73. I'd especially watch out for the crossover when it goes under the front driveshaft....at full suspension droop (w/ no lift) the driveshaft clears the pipe by about half an inch /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Also, the TES headers don't have heat resistant paint on them, so you either need to bolt em up to make sure they fit, then take em off again and paint em, or paint em from the get go and lose any chance of returning them. If you had an 83-86, I'd say go ahead and paint em, but on a 73 it might be risky....

7. mofugly13

[ QUOTE ]
    Thorley makes a prefab cross over pipe too.

[/ QUOTE ]

You know where I can find one? I can't find it on their website. Part#? /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

8. BayouBlazer88

BayouBlazer88 1/2 ton status

Re: Any 73 K5\'s out there with the Edelbrock Tubular Exhaust System?

I installed the TES headers w/ crossover pipe this past january on my 88. I bought them used for 200 bucks which wasnt a bad deal but they had the AIR tubes on them and I was pulling out the whole AIR system so I just cut off the 4 small pipes and welded up the holes. Don't expect much of a hp gain with these shorties. The only thing that I have definitely noticed is that the engine compartment stays a lot cooler now. and I curse myself for not just buying the full-length Thorleys or Headman Elites. But if you really want to go the TES route, they should just bolt right on. The only problem you'll probably run into is the O2 sensor port. Other than that and the crossover pipe clearance with the front driveshaft, they should bolt right on.

9. CrazyCoot

CrazyCoot Registered Member

Thorley Headers 364Y1 or 364Y2

Just get the headers and dual it out!

10. mofugly13

Thanks, I found the headers themseles, but I want the PN for the prefabbed crossover. I already decided that I just want a single 3" going to a 50 series Flowmaster. I'f I did duals I'd have to buy a second muffler, and I ain't made of gold. I'f I can get some quality headers with a pre-fabbed crosover, then I can probably do the rest myself, If I have to have some one bend one up for me, then I'll have to take it to a shop. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif I'f I was sure the Edelbrock TES would work, I'd get that, but if Thorley had a crossover I coud get with their headers, I think I'd go that way.