Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any AC tech's here

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by NoSmog73, Aug 26, 2003.

1. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Any AC tech\'s here

What does it mean when the fin's on the compressor or fan outside on the AC unit have a BLUE/GREEN tint on them ...(the color of the portapotty chemical color..Blue)
    I was told that meant the compressor was shot or leaking...Is that about right....
    The repair guy keeps trying to tell me it just needs a recharge when it does work the air speed at which the air comes out the vents is not good at all...(less speed then your car on low setting)......Is this right...
    One line on the outside that goes to the unit gets frozen and then I have to shut it off...
    The dam thing runs almost all dam day......
    And the filter is new ... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. scrappy88

scrappy88 1/2 ton status

Re: Any AC tech\'s here

Sounds like something is plugged up somewhere which is causing it to freeze up. Check the return air grille and if possible open up the unit and have a look at the blower. The blower motor could be going bad and not running at full speed either, which would also cause it to freeze up. As for the bluish green tint, that sounds like regular corrosion from being out in the weather.

3. SCJimmy

SCJimmy 1/2 ton status

Re: Any AC tech\'s here

Sounds like the freon charge may be low. Inside evaporator is probably frozen over.

The evaporator (inside) coil may need to be cleaned too. If you don't stay on top of changing the filter, dirt and lint can build up in the coil and trap condensation on the coil.

Dirt on the coil + lower air flow + condensation trapped in the dirt + sub freezing refrigerant = frozen evaporator coil and little to no air flow. We clean the evap. and condenser coils at work when we perform seasonal service.

Just my .02

Byron