Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

any acoustic guitarists here?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by thezentree, Jan 20, 2004.

1. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

*raises hand*

i have a decent epiphone acoustic, but i really want to upgrade. anyone have any suggestions for a good acoustic between $300-$500?

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Epiphone makes some decent stuff. I have a really nice Gibson gothic explorer electric and I love it. I prefer Epiphone if a Gibson can't be had.

3. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

I have a Fender acoustic. I got it at Geetar Center during one of their sales for like $350. When I went to go buy it I tried out a few other guitars in the same style (all-black Johnny Cash lookin') I tried Washburn, Takamine, and 3 or 4 others. The fender sounded the best by far. This was about four years ago. I am maybe what you'd call an advanced beginner, but know a few people who are really good, and they have all commented on how good it sounds. I think it's a really sweet deal.

4. civicstomper

civicstomper 1/2 ton status

I know that you can get a nice Epiphone for about $200. If you are looking for something better and have the money for it, try looking at some of the Fenders. I actually just bought a Yamaha 12 string and I think it has one of the best sounds I have ever heard.

Now I know these look a little different, but my friend just got one of these guitars, and I think it's awesome:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They are by Ovation, and they have remarkable feel, action, looks, and sound. The body is made with this special material that gives it a really cool sound. Thats just my opinion though.

Good luck finding the right one, and put a picture of it up here for us too /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

-pete /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

5. thezentree

ive got my eye on a martin DXM. its goin for $499 at musiciansfriend.com. im thinkin probably martin, maybe a taylor.

6. civicstomper

nice! I didn't even think of Martin or Taylor, although both of those are very nice guitars. A friend of mine has a Taylor, and its definitly out of my league as far as $$ goes /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Sounds like a good price on the Martin, they are definitly worth the price they ask, quality is very good. Good luck finding the right one /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    -pete /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif/forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

7. thezentree

yea, im gonna be selling both my acoustic and my strat, and some other RC gear for this thing. but guitar is my other love /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. civicstomper

I understand completely, my guitars and my truck are my life. You mentioned selling your strat, what is it? I mean, is it a squier, American, fat, double fat, etc.?

I can never bring myself to sell any of my guitars, so I've got a small collection of 8 going, and their are still 2 others that I am seriously considering.

Right now, the ones worthy of lsiting are a Yamaha 12 string, Aria 7-string (Ibanez copy), squier strat, and nice classical with a pickup, the rest fit under the category of "K-mart guitar" and arent anything special.

If you end up buying it, let me know how you like it in case I ever get the chance to buy one. Good luck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

-pete /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

p.s. sorry about the long message, but i can go on for hours when it come to guitars /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9. thezentree

its a made in mexico fender. midnight blue. it needs a little set-up work

10. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I love playing acoustic guitar. One of these days I'm gonna get a 12-string... Hard to justify the money, though, I only play for my own pleasure.

I have I think 2 Epiphone's (I know I have at least 1). I love playing it. It's been years since I was really into guitar more than goofing around, so I can barely remember what I have... Plus, I suffer from CRS constantly...

11. civicstomper

Dude, get the 12 string, you wont be able to put it down for weeks! I got my yamaha 12 string for $60 used, about $25 later I fixed it, stringed it, and I take it everywere.

12. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

I love my 1974 Martin D35. . . action is a little off but the fretboard is still good. could use a new pickguard, action set, and a fresh coat of lacquer.

13. civicstomper

does it have a truss rod that you could tighten? That might help.

14. BowtieRed

i'm not touching that guitar other than to string and play it. . .$3500 worth of wood. . . i'll take it to a shop!

15. thezentree

ill take care of it if you want me to /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

16. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I have a Yamaha FG460 12 string bought new in 71...had the action reworked a bit, so it fingers about as easy as my Martin...I Love that old guitar....also have a Yamaha F345S..

I also have The Bomb guitar of all time.....A Genuine Sears double pickup ...the case has the built in Amp/speaker which puts out all of maybe 2 or 3 amps (yeah it's a flamethrower of twang)...it sold New in the 60's for about $50....I got it for $10 at a garage sale about 15 yrs ago...I've turned down $800 for it... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. civicstomper

wow, i would be too scared to touch it for that much $$ /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

18. BowtieRed

[ QUOTE ]
    wow, i would be too scared to touch it for that much $$ /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

well, dad bought it new in 74 for $500. . .