Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any advantages of changing the front springs to run like a jeep setup?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by LKJR, Dec 27, 2002.

1. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

If I remember right the jeep's run the front springs with the shakle in the front and a solid mount on the rear of the front springs. Would there be any advantage of running this setup? Problematic due to the large weight difference in the setup? Thought crossed my mind thinking about running second gen springs on a first gen..

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> It's quite common for Jeepers to change the front shackle setup for one with the shackle in the rear. It's called a Shackle Reversal. Never heard of anyone swapping the shackle TO the front though.

The only benefit that I see from swapping the springs to the front would be that it would be easier to run longer springs and maintain the axle in the stock location. I think that the drawbacks would outweigh the benefits though.</font color>

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

They make a shackle reversal kit so the Jeepers can mount their shackles like us. There's a reason that the front mounted shackle sucks. Every time you hit an obstacle with that setup, the tire moves forwards, towards it. Think about what that can do and what that feels like inside the passenger compartment at speed. Remember, when positively arched leaf springs compress, they get longer. That is trying to move the axle forward and it pushes against whatever you just hit.

The only advantage of that setup is that longer shackles will make your pinion angle better instead of worse. But then we get into the caster discussion which is a long one on this board.

The old F350s had the front mounted shackles....a bunch of companies make a shackle reversal kit that people are willing to spend money to get something on their trucks that ours come with from the factory with.

Trust me, our setup is better.

4. Flexy K20

Flexy K20 1/2 ton status

Also, another big drawback with the shackle in the front is that, with a longer shackle you hit them on a lot more things. Later
    -fLeXy

5. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

The only advantage would be the tire not hitting the firewall when flexing; unless your running 44's and no lift. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

6. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

My old FJ40 has the same problems. They say that the Shackle revers kit is also supposed to make it handle better. I never did it. I bought a Blazer. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Well what 84 was saying makes sense, but then again it may be nice to have the axle pushing the tire on the object and maybe add traction.

But the main reason for Jeepers to do a shackle reversal ot a set-up like ours is for highway travel. WIth the stock set-up on the jeeps, they get some very weird handling on the highway. Cant remember exactly waht, but I remember reading about it. Sorry.

Stick with the stock style mounting....

8. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

thanks guys. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

10. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

Come on now, you know you've dealt with goofier ideas than this working with slim. Get goofy ideas like this when you have no money, too much time, and too much sleep.

11. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

If you decide to try this be sure you have a decent knowledge of alignment so you get your caster back correct.

12. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

O.k. here is some more info on this.

Steve, the guy with the big Gen 1 K5 (well use to be, now its all hacked up) and the Rockwells, has his front axle with the shackels in the front.

If you have either very little arch front springs, or flat springs, the shackle in the front would be better. Look at your leaf springs and think about it. Once they droop, with the shackle in the front the axle moves rearward, same goes for compression, after the spring is flat, or its negative arched, the tire/axle would move back towards the firewall. On the setup you have now, the axle moves forward after it flatens out or goes into negative arch. It also moves forward drooping. The shackle in the rear gives you a good highway ride because the spring is usually right above being flat and the shackle is moving backwards during most normal street driving.

Depdog

13. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

I'll put my .02 in this
    I once had a FJ-40 whenI got it it was stock and the damn thing was all over the road. it would follow the ruts in the road really bad. I went to the Shackel reversal man it was like night and day. The reason most Cruiser owners went that way is when you would turn the wheel you could see the shackels move side to side and if your bushings were old it would really move a lot.

Eric

14. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Do not put the shackle in the front if you do not have cross-over steering!

15. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

Dep, you are right on here. Steve Sharp ran his Rockwell front axle with the stock (shackle in the rear) configuration for quite some time. He experienced severe wheel hop. He reworked his front setup to the Jeep style (shackle in the front) and found that it was a much better setup. Now remember, this is a trail-only rig on 44s with full hydro steering...not a DD! He has since stripped all the leaf spring setup off the front and went to a coil spring suspension...

16. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

OK, it didn't take much to change my mind on this one, this was merely a casting for opinions on the idea, and engineering of it, so thanks guys for the input.