Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any advice on installing tranny/tcase

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MJF, Oct 10, 2002.

1. MJF

MJF 1/2 ton status

I need any advice you guys may have on installing a 350/205 into my blazer with a 4" lift. I pulled the tranny from my other truck today and it was a *****. I have no idea how I'm gonna install this in my blazer. The only things I have are: a large jack(2 1/2 ton), engine hoist, & my puny little ass.

So how have you guys done it? Is there a trick to getting it balanced so it will go into place? Judging from the way it came out, I'm guessing it's prety hard to get it back in.

2. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

got any friends that you can sucker into helping?

there is no easy way to manhandle those parts.
    an auto tranny attachment on a floor jack may help if you can get it tall enough.
    I always split them and do each part seperate,
    last time I gutted the TC and reassembled it hanging on the back of the tranny

good luck, and remember it wont seem so bad once it is done

3. MJF

MJF 1/2 ton status

What's involved in splitting them & re-assembling them. I have never done any work on 4WD's until about 8 months ago, & this isn't something I've done before. I know that the tcase by itself weighs somewhere around a couple hundred pounds.

4. or2play

or2play 1/2 ton status

Get yourself some friends to help balance it as it gets raised up. If you can get a second jack, you can put one on each side. That way you can raise or lower either side to help get it in.

5. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I am not the right person to ask for the details on autos,
    there is a seal to avoid nicking on reassembly...

6. MJF

MJF 1/2 ton status

My original plan was to use the engine hoist to lower a strap through the tcase shifter hole to support the front of the tranny, then use the jack to support the rear. The problem I'm running into here is that there is no way to support the engine. I found through my adventures today(by rushing & not planning everything out) that the engine will "fall" backwards if not supported.
    I can think of a few ways to jerry rig it, but an image always pops into my head when I think about doing it: A guy in high school stood a 2X4 on a jack to jack up the tranny while the car was on a lift. The board slipped & cut off his thumb. This always makes me think twice about doing stupid stuff.

7. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

While we are on this topic, how do you disconnect the tcase shifter? Somebody said something about a shoulder bolt, what does that look like?

8. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

to support the engine, lay a piece of 2x4 on top the the leaf springs just underneath the oil pan, and let the pan rest on it

9. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I use flat bar over the rear of the front leafs to support the pan. Then the cherry picker in the door trick to balance the tcase-tranny/crossmember through the shifter floor. Works well with all the lift and balances perfectly with a full torque converer. Once the torque converter is empty, the tranny side is lighter and angles up making installation easier.

Granted this is a th350/np203 , variations may not work as well.

10. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

give me a call, 348-6303. i have a tranny jack you could possibly use and a few tips.

that is if you have not done the install already /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

11. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I just keep my exhaust connected...that's enough to hold the back of the motor up. Depending on the vintage of the truck the tranny tunnel might unbolt. If so the engine hoist would be the cat's a$$. Wrap around the T-case adaptor and it should balance pretty good...

Rene

12. MJF

MJF 1/2 ton status

Zakk, thanks for the offer. I am putting the install on hold for a while. I was replacing the tranny to 1. get rid of the 203 & put a 205 in it, & 2. install what I was told was a TH400. After I looked at it & realized it was a 350, I've decided to hold off.

I have 3 trannys now. A 350/203, a 350/205, & another 2WD tranny stored in the back of the garage that someone said was a 400 but I never looked at it. Since it's going behind a 454, I would like to go with a 400. Either way I go, I want to get the tranny rebuilt & a shift kit put in before I install it
    Maybe I can talk RyanB. into teaching me how to rebuild one. I hear he's becoming an expert on the subject /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

13. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Is the 350/205 still mated together?
    I'd rebulid that Th350/205 and put it in if i were you. your 2wd400 will probally need a new tailshaft which requires a whole teardown of the tranny. and it still won't be the right spline for that 205. you'd have to find a 205 for a th400 and the tailshaft... I think... i could be wrong.
    If you want to try it yourself, i can't promise anything... but i'll help ya rebuild it with a shift kit... I'm no expert. it would be a shame to do all that work get it back in and have something not quite right.. i've been there.
    but it's a cheaper route and you learn a lot.
    You live really close too. IF you got an area that you can lay a hundred parts out in order for a week or two then a tranny rebuild could happen. I'm way busy with school and work but i could help ya sometime.
    When it comes time to install it.. I'd either invest in a tranny jack or borrow zakks. Getting the tranny in is the easy part, the tcase, shifter, and front driveshaft is more of a pain to get back in. Hopefully your doing it on level ground. I've worked on buddy's trucks on a sloped driveway and it is F%#%D!
    By the way, I just get a floor jack and a block under the oil pan to help support the engine from falling back and damaging the distribuitor against the firewall.

14. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

watch yor fingers and dont put it on your chest.

nathan

15. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I also keep the exhaust connected, it will let the engine sag an or so and make it easier for the tranny to slip in.
    I put the th350 in first and then the 205, it's not light but much lighter than the 203 @#$$%$#. I put the 205 in 15 minutes, with the help of my sister raising the jack and me guiding it with my four limbs /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif the 203 used to take me 30 min with a couple of guys helping me /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif.
    I agree go with the 350/205 combo and rebuild it before you put it in.
    It took me 3 day for the first rebuild, but now it takes me less than 2 days: one for disassembling and cleaning, and the second for assembling.

16. jackedjimmy350

jackedjimmy350 1/2 ton status

lmao, excellent advice! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif i used a forlift from my dads shop. im guessing you dont have one handy though, so call al our buddies thta owe you favors. the hardest one we ever did was using a railroad tye (sp?)under the tranny, having 2 people on each side of the truck lifting while the smallest skinniest one was underneath stabbing and bolting up. it wasnt the most efficient way, but we had no other choice. id say cherry picker, or tranny jack. but watch the picker so it doesnt smash your windshield. i've learned that the hard way /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif. good luck! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif