Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any advice on interviewing for Union Pacific?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by y5mgisi, Aug 24, 2006.

1. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

So i got an interview for Train Service in Hermiston, Oregon. Anyone have any advice on things to say/ not say. Keep in mind that i am only 19 and need to come off somthing more like 30, expereinced, not a punk, e.t.c. Any tips/ good lucks are welcome.:bow: (fingers crossed)

2. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

take some time, and write down some questions pertaining to the opportunity.. take them with you to the interview, and start the interview with them..most people suck at interviewing, and you don't want their inability to ask a good question to cost you an opportunity..if you are proactive, they'll know you want the position..

If you have a job description from their website, or newspaper, use that to form your questions and statements..

You could lead off by saying something like " I appreciate you taking the time to meet with me.. I've studied the job description a lot, and I'm excited about moving forward.. could you help me get a handle on your expectations for the person in this position?

What you want is to get and keep them talking, all the while you point out your skills and abilities that will solve their problems..

if you make it all about them, you'll seperate yourself from all of the other candidates..

Ask " open ended" questions.. in other words, ask things that require more than a "yes or no" answer..

Point out things in the job description, and then point out your relevant experience, skills, or willingness to learn them.. if you dont have a job description, even better - make him verbally give you one, while you write it down, then keep asking questions..

As you go, you'll both discover whether or not you are a fit.. if you like what you hear, do not be afraid to ask for the job.. say something like
    " based on what we've talked about, I'm ready to go.. do you see anything that would keep me from getting this position"? any answer other than "you start next week" should be met with, " what about my background isn't a fit?" then answer whatever concerns he has

You can also ask," who else is involved in the interview process?".. ask to have that guy brought in while you are sitting there.. even if you HAVE to wait 2 weeks for an answer, they won't forget you.. and always send a thank you email or letter..

Being as young as you are, I will pass along the following advice - the world belongs to the man who is proactive and learns to talk to people.. I owned my own headhunting business for about 5 years, so I've prepped lots of people for interviews.. Trust me, if you learn good interview habits, you'll be able to land any job you want, and actually move up in whatever company you work for..

I've met a lot of "tough guys" who won't talk to anyone - they just fill out an application and hope for the best, and on the interview, all they care about is vacation, benefiits, and salary, and otherwise don't actively participate in the discussion..and they can't figure out why they can't find fulfilling work.. it comes down to fear - too scared to go out and really look for it, and too scared to ask for it when they find it.. don't let that be you..

If you want, PM me with some specifics about the position - I'll see what I can do about some tailor made help.

Tom

3. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

thats some very good advice there for anyone looking for a new job. :waytogo:

4. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Wear an Engineer Bob hat like the one Steve Martin wore in The Jerk with a 2 foot long bill..........

5. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

That my freind is some good advice. Ive been practicing what to say. I feel i have a good head on my shoulders and that i shouldnet say anything to stupid but all i can do right now is hope for the best and try not to let it freak me out.The way it works is there will be about 20 of us in a room, the reps from union pacific will completely go over the job, then they give us a test. Then whoever passes the test gets called back in for the interview one by one. Then they say that they will give you a call later that night if they want you to come back the next day to fill out the new hire paper work. I sure hope i get the call. Ive gone to one of these before about a year ago. and waiting around for the call is nerve wracking. so im hoping for the best but not getting my hopes too high.

6. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

If that's the situation, then I'd take a bunch of notes during the initial meeting..when you have a moment, make a quick note as to your relevant experience in regard to a particular duty..when you meet the interviewer
    ( I'm optimistic you'll pass the test) you'll have notes to go by so you won't leave anything out. then you can ask him about expectations, and whatever else hasn't been discussed yet.. then you ask for the job, and then leave him both your notes and your resume..( people like it when you do their thinking for them) then follow up with a thank you letter.

Tom

7. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

do you have an idea what you are applying for? They are real big on safety too...

8. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

The positon is Train Service. From what i understand (yes ive read the job description several times) I will be simply riding on the trains waiting for stuff to brake. ANd when it does i go fix it and if its too big of a job for me to fix i call in a biger crew that actually comes to help me fix it (this is fine casue im good at fixing stuff and have a greate deal of comon sence)Its not a 40 hour a week job your basicly on call 24/7, and can be away from home for days on end. Here I have the advantage over the married man becasue i have no significant other to tie me down. Its not an office job(i cant stand being stuck behind a desk) Its somthing diffrent everyday(i dislike repetativeness) I have good comitment to a job and am not a flake. In fact in the last 6 months i havnt called in sick once. The job requires moving heavy parts(couplers and such) this is ok too because i am young and decently strong. I am completly able bodied. I Guess im just trying to think of things that id like to mention in the interview right now. So 4by4bygod I am really liking what you said about asking them questions. So your saying a good thing to say is maybe like this
    me: So you say this job will require me to be away from home for extended periods of time eh?
    Union: Thats correct you could be away from home up to thee days at a time.
    Me: That wont be a problem as i am not curently married and have no family commitments that requre a 9-5 type schedual.
    That would be what you mean correct?

If not could you possibly give me an example of somting more along the lines of what your thinking?

9. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Good advise so far. I just have one thing to add about your " Coming off like you are 30 statement." Don't be something you're not. be yourself a 19 year old young man. Be respectful, Dress well, Not a suit and tie but casual/work slacks(dockers?). a nice shirt and tie will really help.
    You are 19. Don't act like you are 30. you got the interview because they may be looking for someone just like you. Ma by not a lot of experience. But a smart young man who is willing to work hard, do what they are told without complaining and learn your job from your more experienced co workers/supervisors without the "attitude" many teens have.
    Don't be afraid to tell them your goals in life. How you would like a secure job where you could work hard and advance with a good company you could stay with till retirement.
    At your interview. Be yourself, be as honest as possible, be respectful, be friendly.

10. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

I wouldn't focus on the hours, or any question that could be answered by reading the job description. For example, if the job listing says that you would be away for days, on call 24/7, there is no point in asking a question about it. If I were an employer, I would assume that because you are applying for the job, you are willing to work the hours.

11. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Your example is the right idea -- but you can also do it this way:

in dealing with the time away from home issue, you can phrase it as a statement to them: " Sir, the position sounds like it calls for me to be out on the trains for what could be a few days at a time - I want you to know that I can handle that schedule, as I'm single, and my only focus would be the job"..

You would make similar statments regarding the other known duties of the position... the statements you make will vary from " yes that's me", to " I'm ready to learn that as soon as you're ready to teach me", but you get the idea..

The real key is to always dovetail their need with your experience and qualifications, whether you are making statements or asking questions..

As far as questions:

You would ask questions for several reasons - to learn what's NOT in the job description.. you could ask for example " What are your expectations of me while I'm on the train between breakdowns?" 'Am I going to utilize a pre departure inspection procedure? " How would I monitor the equipment while we're enroute"? " When I'm not on the road, will I be apprenticing in the shops"? " etc.

You would ask questions in order to bring up parts of your background that you feel are relevant - for example, you could ask " Will I be part of a preventative maintenance program on the rolling stock? I'm asking because I've not only built my truck, I'm fanatical about maintaining it.. not that they're comparable, but you won't need to teach me how important it is, or ride my ass about doing it right"

Just so you know, don't overlook anything in your background.. I once placed a guy in a VP of sales position for a huge software company.. the guy had all of the product knowledge, but what clinched it for him was his 4th degree black belt in tan soo do.. the president of the company who hired him was a retired marine, and he valued discipline, and he really liked the fact my candidate could finish what he started lived his martial art, and was a man of honor.. so, the point is, if you can make it relevant, it's relevant.

Again, ask for the position..here's where you have the edge, bro.. half the people out there your age don't have a work ethic, and the other half can't pass a drug test.. you have to show them you already have what they can't teach, and that you can learn what they can teach you..

I'm glad you're getting something out of this.. if you have any other queations, fire away..

Tom

12. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

excellent advice! having spoken with my supervisor a year after i was hired, that's precisely the reason i was hired. i'm young, have goals in life, and an interest in the general field. my mechanical ability didnt hurt me either.

13. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

That is true. I cant thank you guys enough for all the advice so far. It verywell could have made the difference in getting this job. I guess i'll just start puttin some ideas together, practice and hope for the best and see what happens. Its this coming thursday so i'll let you know how it turns out.

14. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Don't show up with a beer in hand:D :haha:

15. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

:D Or a HOOTER!:D

16. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Don't go free balling while having a hole in the crotch of our pants:eek1: :haha: