Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

any advice on transporting a hardtop?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tp85, Sep 19, 2002.

1. tp85

tp85 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I'm taking my pickup truck to pickup the original hardtop for my blazer. When I bought the blazer, the hardtop was off, and I didn't want to bother with it at that time. But now I have to get it before the PO tosses it.

Any recommendations on how to load it in the pickup? I'm not sure how flexible the tops are (I think it is a double wall top). I'm assuming that I don't want it to flex too much.

I was going to mount two 2X4s across my pickup bed, one in the front and one in the back. And then lay the hardtop on the wood (facing backwards). I figure this will be better than having the top sit on an angle hanging over one side of my pickup.

Also, will the sides want to flex/bow outward as I strap the top down? If so, then I guess I could add some blocks to 2X4 ends to prevent the hardtop walls from spreading.
    Thanks.

2. 71RestoRod

71RestoRod 1/2 ton status

My advice would be to bolt your top to the 2x4s using the existing hard top mounting locations (so that the sides don't splay out) and then fasten the whole thing to your pickup rails. I have mine mounted to 2x4s this way now so that I can work on it, tip it up, suspend it from the rafters, etc.. w/o fear of cracking.

3. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

i flipeed mione upside down in the bed of a full size truck and tied it down. worked good. my .02

nathan

4. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    My advice would be to bolt your top to the 2x4s using the existing hard top mounting locations (so that the sides don't splay out) and then fasten the whole thing to your pickup rails

[/ QUOTE ]

Took the words right out of my mouth.

John