Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any advice?.

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by shaun, Sep 18, 2003.

1. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

I am going to pull my 327/sm465/dana 20 this weekend and was curious if any one knew the best way. I have pulled all these off my 85 but it was an auto and I dont know if there is a difference with a manual. Also should I pull the transfer case and tranny as one piece or pull them seperate?
    /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

2. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

I'd pull em seperately. Less chance of the whole shebang, falling on you, or crushing a hand, etc. It's a little messier, [oil and goo] but it would be easier, IMO. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

My advice is to unbolt the tranny tunel and drop the hole thing out from the top with a chery picker. When I rebuilt my TH350 I dropped it with a tranmission jack (along with a floor jack under the 205) It was hard getting under there to unbolt stuff and hard to balance.

When I put it back in I bought a chery picker from Kragen and lifted it up from the top. The hoist fit right in the door and left the hole under side of the truck free to work under. My th350/np205 combo balanced right where the adapter bolted to the trans with a chain around it. To tilt it into place I just had to put a small ammount of pressure on it. If only GM kept the removable dog house...