Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any Alaska Folks?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by beefcake83, Jul 22, 2000.

1. beefcake83

beefcake83 1/2 ton status

Anyone on the forum up here in the last frontier? I got up here in May and love it! Air Force has me here for 4 years.

Gary Graham
    '83 GMC Jimmy 350 'Beefcake'
    Eielson AFB, Alaska

2. Wingnutt

Wingnutt 1/2 ton status

I was stationed up there from '85-'88, and have been trying to get back ever since. There are some good wheeling spots on Ft Wainwright land behind the base. Is the "Lady in the Lake" still there? Also don't try to drive to any of the small lakes on the left side of main gravel road heading to the impact area, as far as I know there is still two hummers burried there. :-)

A couple of safety things, make sure you travel in groups of at least three vehicles, use tow straps-chains break real easily @-40 degrees, keep a cell phone in your vehicle, or a good CB, and have a "survival" bag with you at all times.

On the good side, summer, breakup, 24hr daylite and temps in the lower 70's, the northern lites, making you own freeze dried coffie @ -45, driving out on the lakes, the fishing, the hunting, the Alaskan attitude, The Alaskan experience.

On the bad side, winter, 8 months, twightlite from 10:30AM to 2PM (make sure you go out for lunch or you won't see daylite for three months, -40 is kewl only for the first few weeks, metal gets real brittle at -70, drilling thru 8ft of ice to fish, the misquotes, hungry grizzleis in spring.

3. Todd78/87

Todd78/87 1/2 ton status

I'll be back up there in a few weeks!!! My brother and I own JTR's Electronic Sales and Service in Haines.

Todd 78/87[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Alaska Bound