Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any alternatives to the streetwires power distribution block?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by afroman006, Oct 12, 2003.

1. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Since I'm going to be running 3 amps I need something like this but I can't really justify the price. Anyone know of any others or how to make your own? Here's the one I'm talking about

block

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

The thing that makes that junction block so big and $$$ is that it also has the grounds built in. You don't need that (unless you are going for the Bling Bling look). I also don't see the need for a fused dist. block. There will be a fuse at the battery connection to protect you if any of the hot wire shorts to ground. The amps will all have fuses as well...do you really need 3 fuses in series? When you get down to that point the price will come down alot!

3. NetBlazer

NetBlazer Registered Member

Most of what you are paying for there is the name and the looks. Take a look at the link below for some other much cheaper options. Also, roam around the rest of the site for good prices on wires, fuse panels, caps, and the rest of the stuff you'll need to wire up your system.

Parts Express distribution blocks

4. afroman006

I'll be pushin about 700 watts total RMS so I think I need 1/0 gauge wire goin into the block. Will that one on the top accept cable that heavy? Thx for the site.

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    I'll be pushin about 700 watts total RMS so I think I need 1/0 gauge wire goin into the block. Will that one on the top accept cable that heavy? Thx for the site.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you are WAY oversizing the power wire for your application.....

700 watts RMS is substantial, but 1/0 is massive!!! That's what I'm using for a 1600 watt system....and it's probably overkill for that.

There are sites where you can get the correct wire sizing based on current demand and wire length. I'd start with a Google search on "AWG sizing" or "AWG Chart".... that should help you figure out what's needed.

The distribution block is just the beginning of the rediculous costs when you do the real heavy wire gauge stuff....I think the 1-0 AWG stuff I bought was about $7/ft!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Yet another reason to make SURE you really need it.......

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The distribution block is just the beginning of the rediculous costs when you do the real heavy wire gauge stuff....I think the 1-0 AWG stuff I bought was about $7/ft!!!! Yet another reason to make SURE you really need it.......

[/ QUOTE ]

That's why if you aren't going for "bling bling" you go to a welding supply store where you can get 1/0 awg for about $1-2 a foot.

7. afroman006

Lol well in that case do y'all think 4 gauge will work to the block then 8 gauge to each amp? I am not into bling bling so i dont need the translucent coated wire crap. Also, are all those fancy speaker wires worth the extra cost or will the speaker wire from radio chack work and sound just as well? Thx

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

If you just want a power distribution block really cheap, look under the hood of an '88 to '00 or so GM pickup (or '92 to '00 Suburban or Tahoe). On the firewall, above the a/c box, is a black plastic shroud that covers the fuel pump relay and a pretty nice 5-stud power distribution block. It isn't anything fancy, but it can handle a lot of current. I paid $1 for the one I picked up. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. afroman006

I just remembered the CUCV's I have all have 2 in the engine compartment. Problem solved. Free parts are cool.