Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

any atv magicians

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region' started by ramjet gmc, Jul 10, 2004.

1. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

I just picked up a ATV it is a Polaris trail boss 2x4 1988 well I got it cheep and it will not run and it is beet up too well it will not start I am going to spend some time on next weekend I have seen this atv run last year and he parked it and now it will not start ( the old owner got a new 4x4 Honda and just wanted the out of his way) well are their any atv magicians hear ????

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

First thing to do would be pull the spark plug either have someone hold it or hold it yourself against the block and see if it sparks. If you have a good spark move to the fuel system. Drain the old fuel out. Pull the bowl off the carb see if there is some buildup or old fuel in there. Clean that all out with carb cleaner then put some new fuel in the tank and see how she goes. My dad has a I think 88 trail boss and it had wiring issues when he got it.

3. ramjet gmc

well it has a strong spark and i pulled the carb and sprayed it out with carb cleener no start so i got some eather and speayed it right in and no fire so i called it a day and went to work at my real job /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif i am thinking read valve?? or bad compreshen /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

both good points. Check compression first then go for the reed valve. I'm actually thinking about doing some big work to my dad's trailboss. Port the block, cut the head down, polish it up, clutch work, new reed valve, little carb work, see if I can get that thing moving already.

5. ramjet gmc

i have been looking at some sites and i do not think it has a reed valve -- that is odd i needs something??? i need to do some more homework

6. ramjet gmc

i got it to fire up with erther today -- ti died dead after could be just a card??? ideas????

7. jimmy88

jimmy88 1/2 ton status

Are you using new gas or the old stuff that was in the tank for a while? When you sprayed the carb did you pull the bowl and check the jet(s) for gunk? After you try to start it many times, pull the spark plug and see if it is wet with gas or if is it dry. Does the quad have a manual choke?