Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any Back Packers here?**More Questions on Destination**

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mtnman210, Oct 6, 2006.

1. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

I'm looking at packs but am lost on what I REALLY need. So far the most common I've seen are about 5000-6000ci's. It would be used primarily for 4-7 day wilderness trips where I would have to have everything I need with me. What CI's should I be looking at, or style, or company/brand. Also I'm looking into one for a female---that one I'm COMPLETELY lost on. So what kind does your significant other have/like.

oh and I don't want to break the bank on these. They'll probably only get used at most once a year. I'd like to stay in the $200 per pack range if thats possible. I've seen a few on ebay that are selling alot cheaper than retail

Last edited: Oct 7, 2006
  2. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Goverment surplus A.L.I.C.E.

3. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

I bought one of those back in Jr. High, and kept it until I replaced it with a better condition one in my senior year, which I still use. I've never had an issue, except for the quick release straps. I used them once, and now all they do is quick release. :doah: Get a frame too. Oh, and make sure it's the large one. I've got a medium, and I can pack clothes and stuff for 3 days- on top of my school stuff.

4. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

You know I think it's 84K5 that's really into backpacking the Sierras, you might PM him.

As far as size, it really depends on how long you're going for and what season. For a four day summer trip I can easily get by with 6Kci and have enough room to carry most of my wife's stuff (not that she'd actually go with me.)

As far as the pack for your girl, most of the better makers make them in sizes and some even in male/female. Some may disagree with me on this but I have always had good luck with Kelty in both price and quality. I personally would stay away from North Face as it is usually overpriced and underquality.

An ALICE pack is good for some, I think they're a little heavy myself, one of the newer MOLLE style packs are better, more ergonomic and lighter but more pricey (but still cheaper than commercial brands)

Hope that helps.

5. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have back packed and logged a few miles in my time.
    Tips
    1. The larger the pack, the more stuff you tend to take with you, and it makes it heavier for the trip.
    2. Alice packs are all right, not the greates in the world. They are alot better with the frame. the typical ALICE is pretty small. I traded mine in years ago for a mountain ruck. Same design as the ALICE but twice the size. I have logged around 100+ miles with 80+lb Alice or Ruck. Work Related
    3. MOLLE- ALOT better than an Alice. Individual compartment, ergonomic plaastic frame, and helps you distribute your weight better than an Alice. Again about 50 or so miles with 80+ lbs in this pack. Work Related
    4. I think the best pack I have ever used was a Columbia I think. Around 2000ci, internal frame. Lots of individual compartments which allowed me to keep my food, fuel, clothes all seperated. I hiked for about 50 miles a summer in that one. Boy Scouts

Go out and find an outfitters store and look for a pack, try them on, see how they feel and scope it out in person. Pictures can be deceiving.

If there are going to be a few of you, spread load your gear where possible and comfortable bt supportive boots are a must. Also must be pretty light especially if you plan a long hike until the next base camp.

6. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Go to an outfitter and try several. I have 2 Keltys that have internal supports bent to fit my back, and they fit me like a glove. I bent the supports myself. I can wear them all day. They are kind of like shoes - some people fit in Nike's, some in Reebok's, etc..

You might not buy from the outfitter, but once you know what you want you can generally get them for a lot less from www.sierratradingpost.com or www.campmor.com

7. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

internal fames are the best i think, i have a camptrails internal frame and i love it, i used it this summer, i spent 10 days in the mountians of new mexico and hiked 110 miles, like stated above campmor is a great place for pack, a sugestion thought go to a store and try a few different packs on find the one that fits right then order that same type for a lot cheaper than the store has it for

8. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

If you are just going once a year and staying on trail just rent them. It's not worth the money. People waste too much money to go hiking in the summer.

Anyways, I like opsprey packs. Durable, light, and comfy. I use a 4000ci pack for weekish summer trips and a 2500ci pack for 2-3 day trips. In the winter it depends what I'm doing, sometimes I need the 4000ci pack for a day trip if hauling butt loads of gear. I would guess the average person would want 4-5000ci for a week long summer trip.

Go to rei or similar. Walk around finding gear similar to yours and start packing different backpacks and try them on. Buy what you like that fits your gear.:wink1:

9. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Also, some large sporting goods stores will match campmor's price IF they have the same thing in the store. Gaylans used to be very good about this and would even match the close out prices. I haven't tried it since they got bought out by Dicks, though.

I can't help much packs. I'm still using the external frame Jansort my uncle gave me. It's old enough that it has been to the top (as in pre-eruption) of Mount St Helens.

As far as women's packs my wife almost bought a Kelty, but got sick before she saved up the $$.

10. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

Internal frames are nice - but they can be harder to pack depending on what other gear you have. My wife and I both have Kelty internal packs and they are great. Hers is a woman-specific model and she likes it much better than any she's had before.

I've had several internal and external. If I were you, I'd just buy well constructed, comfortable external frame pack. You can generally find them fairly cheap.

11. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

thanks for all the help. I have a better idea of a starting off point now.

12. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

A bit late, but I've got one of these that I use:

http://cgi.ebay.com/CFP-90-BACKPACK-LARGE-RUCKSACK-WITH-INTERNAL-FRAME_W0QQitemZ150039848185QQihZ005QQcategoryZ36071QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem To my knowledge those things aren't even issued anymore. The assault pack is worthless, extra weight for nothing.

Here's the one the others are talking about:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/lot-OF-3-MOLLE-ALICE-ARMY-USMC-BACKPACK-RUCKSACK-PACK_W0QQitemZ140037830004QQihZ004QQcategoryZ36071QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I have an REI internal frame pack, but when I go hiking, if someone is coming with me that doesn't have a pack, I let them use it.

I like the military pack in that it is shorter than most commercial large capacity packs...nothing to get hung up when going under fallen trees or through brrush.

The one bad thing about military packs is weight. They weigh too much for what they are, but at least some of that weight equates to strength. For once a year, I doubt that matters much, but a split pack doesn't make for a good hike. :)

Packing right is the key as mentioned...I used to hike with about 70lbs on my back, I've whittled that down to 45-50 for the same length trips. Trips are a heck of a lot more fun with less weight. 2-4 lbs is a big difference when you are carrying it on your back for a long period of time.

13. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

maybe this will help:

The trip that I'm planning this for a 4 or 5 day/nighter hiking into the grand canyon staying a couple nights in different places and then back out--packing all our stuff in and out. I don't know if this will make a difference or not.

Also does anyone know a good time of the year to do this trip there. I've never been so I don't know the area,climate,etc...

Eventually they will be used primarily in the sierras during the summer months again for about the same 4-7day length.

14. dyeager535

I'd certainly check weather trends and what not...I know it snows out there, but not when you really need to start being careful about it.

You decide to go in the summer, you can guarantee you won't be needing a bunch of heavy clothing at least. :)

15. dyeager535

IMO you can't really go too big on a pack, it's better to have too much space than too little. Mid-size packs are nice for day trips and so on, but inadequate for longer.

16. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have a large one (6500 cu. and 3500cu)and a mid size. The mid size is much better unless you really need the extra gear. The problem with the big one is the temptation to bring everything just because you can. Much like my suburban.

17. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I can tell you this much, as you go down it gets hot. You can use Phoenix's weather as a guide. We went in the fall of '02 and the weather was great. However, we did not go all the way down because we had only planed a day hike. Before you go do some checking. IIRC you need a permit to camp, and water is available seasonally if you are taking the Bright Angle trail. If you want to get away from the crowds you'll need to head to the North Rim.

18. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

In addition to being heavier a big pack is going to be a nightmare while bushwacking. They are even worse when climbing because they get wedged when you try to squeeze between rocks and they shift side to side a lot more. Even little things like when you go to turn around and the ****ing thing smacks into something is annoying IMO. External packs suck for the same reason...the frame gets caught on everything around you. But, like I said, if you are staying on a trail and just going once a year...rent!:wink1:

19. dyeager535

Yeah, renting is a good option for infrequent use. I wouldn't be surprised if REI rents packs and would probably have a good selection of them.

Should be one near any town in CA. :)

20. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

I'm a frequent camper, but an infrequent backpacker, but when I do backpack, I like to carry internal frame packs or drag a tobogan sled behind me and a regular backpack for things that I need to be readily available. I haven't bought a new one one yet (the one I use now is my wife's), but I've tried on many different packs during my various trips to REI, and I'm a fan of Kelty. When I buy a new pack, it will be about 5000cu in, and will be used for 3-4 day ventures when I'm hunting or camping with my family.

My biggest thing is tent camping, and the farthest I've walked from the truck to the camp site was about 3 miles, so thus far, except for my winter camping adventures when I really don't want to trek back to my vehicle, I haven't needed a big pack since I was in the Marines.