Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any benefit adding lockout hubs to 90 k5?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bluboti, Nov 10, 2002.

1. bluboti

bluboti Registered Member

I have autolock hubs on my 90 k5,any benefit adding parttime hubs.I only see them advertised for the 203 fulltime.Hoping to gain some MPG.

2. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

You have part time hubs now. No need to swap to manual lock hubs unless you have larger than stock tires & play rough.
    Jim

3. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

i would go for the manuals personally, i just got mine, they are more reliable, and if you get into a situation where your stuck in 2wd and cant rotate your front axle, your SOL with auto's. or if you snap an axle shaft, you can't drive home with autos, jus my 2 cents...

4. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

I would definately get manual hubs. In my buddy's 85 burb, we used to have a heck of a time with the automatic hubs. Sometimes they would engage, sometimes they wouldn't. At least with manual hubs, you know they are locked when you turn the dial. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

5. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

yeap i would say reliability would be one reason to change, and as beast said, when you turn that dial, you know they are locked, your not guessing like my friend in his 91 k5, he shoved it in 4hi on the pavement, and turned, it just felt like it was in 2hi and he drove for a long time and they didnt lock. lol, well he is a painsy and never takes that thing off-road anyway, even tho he has a lightbar and 6 off road lights over all, 4 on the bumper and 2 on the light bar, its sorta ghetto, but he should really get lock outs, as should you if you off-road with it. i have them, they came stock on my truck in 87, i love them, lock em when you need em, turn the dial to unlock them when you dont need them. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif