Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any Body Know Of A Awsome Ac Bettter Than Stock

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K-5krazy, Aug 29, 2006.

1. K-5krazy

K-5krazy Registered Member

I got an 87 k-5. When My grandfather rides with me we always go shoot clay targets, and we use my truck to get there, because the caddy aint that good off road. I use the A.C. all the way there and back. Probably the only time I do use it. But he is more precious to me than anyone. It it is not acceptable for him to get hot. he is too old for that. I live in mississippi so its hot as crap. I don't care how much it cost. I just want the best Air Conditioner out there for my grandfather. Does LMC make anything

2. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

3. smalltowncowboy

smalltowncowboy 1/2 ton status

i would go grab a classic truck or hot rod magazine and look in the back at the ads.

4. muscatniall

muscatniall Newbie

I run my '86 in Oman in the Middle East and have the stock AC. Hot as crap doesn't even begin to describe the temperature out here on the edge of the desert, and the humidity sits at 90 -100% for two months of the year.

The stock AC does a pretty good job but for best results you need to give it a good chance. Have you insulated the floorpan, engine firewall and bonnet (hood) with a decent material? That makes a massive difference, the engine and exhaust give off far more heat than its surroundings. After that think about insulating the doors and cab roof, to cut down on heat from the sun, finally you might want to get a solar film (V-Kool etc.) of some type for the windows.

5. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

^What he said.

On another note, I have installed Vintage air units before and they are a breeze to put in. Kinda pricey though.

6. 1985_K5_Silverado

I'm happy with my OEM setup, but a guy told me that his AC performance improved when he removed his original condenser and replaced it with a more modern crossflow/parallel flow type condenser.

I have no idea if the idea has any merit, but the manufacturers advertise such condensers as ~1/3 more efficient than the old type, and also claim they can maintain R12=type performance after an R134 conversion (or make an R12 system even chillier). I imagine that an HVAC guru could say a lot more on the topic.

7. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

You didn't mention anything about your current A/C. What year of vehicle, type of freeon, and how old the system is.

One thing that really helped my A/C was dual electric fans. They made the A/C cold in what seemed like an instant of starting the truck.

8. LEEREED123

LEEREED123 1/2 ton status

i put a vintage air system in my 69 truck and loved it.

9. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

before you give up on your stock one, I think you might need to service your old one. What makes it not cold enough? If it isnt enough air being pushed, thats fan related, but after 20 years, the coils inside that the fan blows against is probably full of CRAP! consider taking it apart and using a fine computer vac and vac that thing clean.

Also, what helped me alot, is to insulate the lines- Go to home depot and buy regular pipe insulation. (the foam kind, not the fiberglass, it doesnt hold up as well, and holds moisture).

Cut to fit, zip tie in place.. made a HUGE difference in the performance of my AC, in every vehicle. Just think,if you can feel the AC pipe be cold, then its loosing that much cooling ability before even getting into the passenger area.

(Acutally, come to think of it, the unit isnt inside the passenger area, it should be right in front of the passenger side, in the engine bay- See if you can take it apart without opening up the system).

10. 1985_K5_Silverado

That's a good point to mention. I assumed that he'd had the system recently serviced, leak-checked, recharged, etc., and still found the cooling inadequate.

11. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Here is a bad ass AC unit that is fairly universal.
    [​IMG]

12. 58 apache

58 apache 1/2 ton status

vintage air... www.vintageair.com or hot rod air www.hotrodair.com or southern air.... vintage is absolutely the best 200 mph on the salt flats with the ac running. i do a little hot roddin and these steups will freeze you out. i have a 58 p/u and just ordered a kit like 1050 plus shipping. easy install heat and ac replace stock heaterbox or u can customize installation everything included

13. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

No matter what route you take on this, make sure you have either a great cooling fan or a pair of great cooling fans. You can't do any more cooling to the interior than you do to the condensor. Even a system that could use service can cool really well if it just has enough airflow.

14. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I think he forgot about his thread...:crazy: