Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any body use one of these ??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by riz, Aug 27, 2001.

1. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple> A saw a infomercial today for a product called The Tornado and was wondering if anybody tried it ? It fits on top of your carb or in your air intake hose on fuel injected models and it increases your airflow by acting like a tornado ........they claim a big increase in power and gas millage ?? It's sounds like it would work by the way it was demonstrated ???? Anybody use one ?

L8r,
    . Riz . <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/rizmonkey>www.geocities.com/rizmonkey</a>

<font color=purple> BOW CHICKA BOW WOW !

2. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Is that the magnet thing you put around your gas line???????

If it ain't broke.......Don't fix it....

3. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

No i thnk its some kind of fan thing .......

1977 K5 Blazer [​IMG]
    GET IT AWN

4. gokartergo

Sorry, I didn't read the whole post. Duh It is getting late for me......Dan

5. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple> Nope, it's a fan like thing with angled fins to increase air flow ................it turns the air like a tornado and installs real easy.

L8r,
    . Riz . <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/rizmonkey>www.geocities.com/rizmonkey</a>

6. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

kinda like a pinwheel ? If it doesnt cost to much it probaly is worth a try

1977 K5 Blazer [​IMG]
    GET IT AWN

7. gokartergo

So it acts like a mini blower. Sounds good to me...Dan

8. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple> Yup, it sounds like it would work real well actually .......they're 70 bucks each though, but if they do what they say they do it might be worth it to try out !

L8r,

9. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple> They did a dyno with it and gained 20 horses too.

L8r,

10. gokartergo

Any time you get forced air. Your going to gain HP. The milage is a diffrent story.....Dan

11. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

The thing doesen't move (like a blower) it just sits there and swerls up air that flows past it. IMHO they would make a good paper weight (Even if it does kinda work I can think of alot of other things I could spend $70 on).

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>

12. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Finally a voice of reason. i would think it would actually inhibit and slow the intake charge. Its a fan and fans take power to spin. The velocity of the intake charge would be partially used just to spin this thing. So now we have air thats supposedly spinning, but is more than likely moving slower too. The atomized fuel will be more likely to drop out of suspension and wet the intake mainfold.

I suspect the dyno numbers were prolly reversed. it made 20 more HP without the tornado than with it. A little creative editing and presto it looks like a valid dyno run proves it makes more power. I hate infommercials, if the product is as good as they say it is then why isn't available in stores? If its so good let it sell itself, don't ram it down my throat![​IMG]

Even a Ram-Air set-up will only gain about 6-10 HP...at high speeds! I think good cold outside air for the intake will be the most beneficial. Leave the pin-wheels for the kids to play with.[​IMG]

There's my 2 cents...[​IMG]

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

13. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I think Steph picked one up on Ebay or something.... I never jeard what she thought of it though. I agree I think it is a total POS.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>

14. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple> There's no power to it so there wouldn't be any extra drag .it just sits in there and spins. I know it always seems to good to be true and it probably is.

L8r,

15. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I guess I didn't say it clearly before (it's late) but it does not spin. It has no moving parts at all.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>

16. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Those Tornados work great!I must have picked up at least 50 hp from adding the Tornado.
    I also put in a bottle of Prolong. Then drained all my oil out and threw in a hand full of dirt in the crankcase. Its been 5000 miles now and my engine still runs great. If my engine blows I can always put in a can of Engine Restorer and it will run like new.
    Magnets for the gas line????????? WHERE CAN I GET ONE OF THOSE??????????

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Thunders-Blaze>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Thunders-Blaze</a>
    <font color=orange>Charter Member of The Too Much Fun Club</font color=orange>

17. LittlePig

LittlePig 1/2 ton status

It does not move in any way. Supposedly it increases turbulence in the intake, allowing the fuel charge to become better atomized, by causing the air to take a roundabout path into the carb/throttlebody. This goes against about 30-40 years of hotrodders running velocity stacks to REDUCE turbulence so they can get more air into the engine (thus increasing the fuel charge and making more power). I personally can't see how adding restriction to the intake can increase power in any way. Maybe it would work with fuel injection, where the fuel is put in according to a computer, rather than relying on carburetor vacuum to pull it in, but on a REAL engine, I can't see how this would help.

Email: littlepig@keepandbeararms.com

18. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Right on, Thunder!
    Did you also know that you can upgrade your A/C to R-134a for only $30! And it will always work great! I'm gonna do that right after I seal up the massive leak in my radiator with Alumaseal for only 79 cents and fix my cut tires with an aerosol can. I know this stuff will work just as well as my "no spot" car wash soap and vinyl dash repair kit, so I'm pretty excited.

How about a little bit of logic here. Let's say that a little fan blade thingy in the intake or a magnet on the gas line actually gave you some noticeable improvement in fuel economy or power. Why are they missing from all new cars? Do you have any idea how hard it is for the OEM's to meet the increasing CAFE (Corporate Average Fuel Economy) requirements from the feds? They would kill for an extra 1 or 2 MPG on every car. And they could contract out 5,000,000 little fan blades for maybe 80 cents a piece and put them in every car for the cheapest, easiest gain they ever got. After all, this would be much easier than improved combustion chamber design, more efficient engine/fuel management, etc that they would spend millions developing. So why are these little gems missing from all the new cars? I think you already know...

<font color=green>"It is generally not adviseable to eject directly over the area you just bombed"</font color=green>

19. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

this thing is not forcing air. it is organizing air. all it does is make it go in a circular pattern. like a tornado. i can see how this would help a bit but i dont see 20hp out of it.
    Grant
    ps i will save my 70 dollars

1974 Chevy Blazer Cheyanne. but it is on 33's now, with saggy old springs. i am in Yuma Arizona if ya got any parts for me.

20. Chaz316

Chaz316 1/2 ton status

Well I will tell you what I did to mine to force more air into the intake. I went to CompUSA and bought 4 of the large computer case fans. I bolted them all together with the blades all turning in the same direction. I then mounted them in a PVC pipe and fitted it to the top of my carb(blowing into the carb). I then mounted a 10in aircleaner to the top of the pipe. Since the fans only need 12volts to run, I daisy chained them together and attached them to the ignition switch.

So now when I crank the truck I have four fans "Ramming Air" into the intake. And I only spent 30 bucks on parts! HP has immensly increased and I get about 20 miles per gallon.

The only bad side is on occasion the truck freezes up and I have to "reboot" it to get it going again. I figure if I add more RAM this should solve the problem.

But on a serious note I dont think the air need to be Tornadoed to flow better. The air is going to follow the path of least resistance and putting blades in the way to "Organize" the air seems a bit far fetched.

But if anybody tests this and it actually works I may have to try it...LOL. Who couldnt use more HP and MPG?

"If it aint broke don't fix it" is like a 4 letter word.
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.phatboy.alloffroad.com>PhatBoy.AllOffRoad.com </a>