Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any body work on furnace/heaters?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 90blzr, Nov 24, 2004.

1. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Got a problem. its a wall furnace, propane operated.
    Turn on the thermostat and the furnace clicks on...when looking inside the access panel, you can see the three 'burners'. Only one of them starts glowing red for about 2 seconds and then goes out. The other two burners dont do anything at all.
    Obviously the system just blows cool air.

Got any ideas? really need to get this fixed.
    Thanks!

2. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

The red glowing part is the igniter- Hot Surface Igniter. It is supposed to glow for about 5-10 seconds then the gas valve will open. The HSI stays on for about another 15-25 seconds for the flame to light (all times vary per manufacturer). If it only stays glowing for 2 seconds, then that is most likely the problem- either the control board senses low amperage through the circuit, or more likely that the HSI has a small crack in it (very common), and the crack widens as it heats and current is interupted.

You can buy them at a HVAC supply house, but the problem is that they typically sell only to wholesalers. Sometimes the counter guys will sell to walk in customers as long as you appear to know what you are doing.

If you feel comfortable, pull out the HSI and inspect it. Just like working on our truck, pay attention to parts you remove (maybe take pics). Also, make sure you turn off the power to the furnace first. If you do pull it out, be careful not to touch it, and it is very fagile. It will break easy. Look at the HSI for any cracks or burned spots. Send me a PM with your phone number if you would like me to talk you through it.

3. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Damn that was fast! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif
    yeah that glowing part HSI I guess, is only staying on for MAYBE 3 seconds and then just fades out.

So when that gets hot enough....THEN the gas valve opens?
    That would explain why I never smell propane then huh?

Propane is on, valve coming into the heater is on, but no 'spark'.

Hmmm. What are common HVAC stores where I might be able to find these? And they are called an HSI?

How much do they usually cost...ballpark?

Also, where exactly is the HSI located?

You can send me a pm if you want. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Is your tank full and is the valve turned on?????

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Coast Appliance has stores all over Cali . They sell to anyone . Most appliance stores carry basic a/c and heat stuff . They could probably match it for you . Hell , sometimes in certain applications they are the same as dryer ones . If you were in my town I'd sell you one /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Not at first, but yes propane is on now and tank is at 75% /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Landlord went and showed me the tank and turned the valve. Next day I told him the heater wouldnt work, he said did you go turn the propane on? I said now, I thought you did? Anyways, yes, propane is now on.

Could something have blown out at first because there was no gas getting to it? Kind of like running a motor with no oil?

7. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

I'll check into it once I pinpoint the problem. What sucks is its Thankgiving and not sure how many places will be open on the weekend. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

8. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

dude you live in so cal, land of the perineal sun /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

9. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    Not at first, but yes propane is on now and tank is at 75% /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Landlord went and showed me the tank and turned the valve. Next day I told him the heater wouldnt work, he said did you go turn the propane on? I said now, I thought you did? Anyways, yes, propane is now on.

Could something have blown out at first because there was no gas getting to it? Kind of like running a motor with no oil?

[/ QUOTE ]Since the gas was off maybe the line is full of air. You might have to cycle it a few times to purge this air out. A lot of heaters have a trial ignition period then it will lock out if the pilot flame does not light.

10. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Yeah but when you live in a brick house and havent had the chimney cleaned yet, and no heater and its 5 in the house and 39* outside....it doesnt matter how much the sun is out/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif*

11. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Hmmmm...I have been talking with another member of this board on this also. I will also run it by him and see what he thinks.

The furnace is newer...I mean it literally looks brand new. Thats why its hard to believe it doesnt work.
    How would I go about finding out if there is air in the line?

12. blazerpunk

blazerpunk 1/2 ton status

Probably safe to asume you got it going already but it sounds like you have air in the lines. Just turn off the power for a few seconds, turn it back on, wait a couple minutes. Repeat until you got heat. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif