Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any bolt on goodies that will give my 6.2 more ooomph?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by luvmud, Nov 20, 2002.

1. luvmud

luvmud Registered Member

Does anyone know of any bolt on goodies besides a Bank Turbo that will give my 6.2 liter in a 1988 K3500 some more pep?

Any info or website links is appreciated!

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

A bigger exhaust and better breathing.
    Just like the stinger system from Banks.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. calcide

calcide 1/2 ton status

Try doing a search, this topic has been discussed many times.

4. AzzKicker

AzzKicker 1/2 ton status

i thought i posted here my intake setup.

5. DieselBurb

DieselBurb 1/2 ton status

Just curious, AzzKicker, what kind of milage are you getting? With 33 inch tires, TH400, 4.10's, & a 6.2 I'm gettting about 11-12 MPG in my K20 burb. Is this bad for this setup?

Thanks

/forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

6. AzzKicker

AzzKicker 1/2 ton status

I dont have 33's /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif yet. I havent really checked out my mileage that well since I got the truck. but I'll post up when I do.

7. Txstruck

Txstruck Registered Member

I have an 86 K30 4x4 6.2L/TH400/NP208 and 4.56 gears with 31" or 33" tires and I get around 25-27 mpg /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

8. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

K30 w/4.56's and 31" tires pulling 25+ MPG? /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif You must never see a highway or drive awfully slow /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

9. AzzKicker

AzzKicker 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

Install that for a whopping 100 more HP /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif. actually since installing that, I get better pickup at higher miles. Off the line no difference though /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

10. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Learn to like it? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

11. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

This would sound silly if I didn't experience it first hand.
    Usually with a gas engine, more highway means more MPG.
    With my Perkins 5.9 TD I get 30MPG around town, and 20MPG Average on long trips. At first I thought I was doing the math wrong, but it was consistent, and now I hear your comment.
    Is this the case with everyone?
    By the way I have 3.08 gears with 35"tires, and an SM465.

12. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Check out my website for snorkel pics. 4" PVC pipe for my air breather system.

13. Txstruck

What kind of flex hose is that? I want to make some kind of CAI, but not sure exactly where I wanna run it yet. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

14. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

Did you cut the knock out behind the grill out? And do you get water in the in take?

15. AzzKicker

AzzKicker 1/2 ton status

Ya, that PIECE of crap S shape plastic thing I removed. I dont really worry about WATER around here. But I may installe a different setup to collect water, just in case. That S shape thing was just way too restrictive for me. Another idea i have is to make a setup similar to a MILITARY HUMMERS. And extendable piece on the passenger side of the hood. I'll draw a picture and post it.

16. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

mines metal!

17. DieselBurb

DieselBurb 1/2 ton status

Okay, so maybe the extra weight of the /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif is the reason. I would think that it wouldn't, though. Maybe something isn't just quite right. Any ideas short of a 6.5TD or a snorkel (altough I am considering it).

Thanks
    Diesel /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

18. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

Steve, I don't mean to offend, but the kind of mileage you're reporting is nearly impossible.

The only vehicles I've ever seen that could achieve that kind of mpg with a 6.2L, were in 2WD units with OD and 2.73 or 3.08 gears, cruising very lightly down the highway.

My 2WD 3/4 ton, 4.10 gears, 700 overdrive, and 27" tires never gets better than 19 mpg. I used to break the 20 mark once in a while when I had 3.42 gears.

My K-10, with 3.73 gears, 31" tires, and 465 non-overdrive tranny gets about 15-17 mpg.

How can your truck get 10 mpg more than mine? Without overdrive? Are you sure your speedometer is correct? Do you ever drive faster than 45 mph?

Casey

19. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

The reason mileage suffers at highway speeds on certain vehicles equipped with diesels, is that diesel engines have a much smaller working rpm range than gassers.

For example, the 6.2L has a peak efficiency rpm of around 1800 rpm, where the peak torque is. So, if your truck has low gears, it may get the best mileage at 55 mph when the rpms are lower. Take the truck up to 70 mph, and the engine rpms are higher, causing mileage to suffer. That is why extra gears work so well with the diesels.

My C-20 gets the best mileage around 60 mph. I see no improvements at 70 or 75, though it doesn't seem to drop much either.

It's all about keeping the engine in the "sweet spot." /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

For more info on fuel economy, read this article. Scroll down about halfway to where it talks about fuel mileage.

Casey

20. Txstruck

No offence at all Casey. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif But just for the record, I drive around 55mph max because when I was in the service and worked on these trucks, they were notorious for blowing seals because of the high rpms the guys ran them at thinking they had OD. I usually fill up on thursdays because my week starts fridays. I work from fri-mon (4 days) 38 miles one way to work and I usually dont have to fill up again until tues morning depending on the other running around I do during my work week. I only have a 20 gln tank. My mileage does fluctuate some but i normally average close to 24-25 mpg easy.