Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any brave souls want to try out the Rhoads hydra solid cam.

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by POWERMAD, May 6, 2004.

1. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

I bought it and now am not gonna use it.
    I have all the hard parts for a 454 and am gonna build that instead of screwing around getting the 350 going.
    Since I was all ready to build the 350 just so I could see what the cam would do I'll install it for whoever buys it.
    Within reason of course. *will not fly to Kentucky*
    I paid $235 for it that's what I want for it.
    Along with the normal gasgets and such +.100" push rods are needed with this cam and lifter set. To be used with stock rocker ratio.

2. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

since I dont know... whats the dealio with the Rhoads hydra solid cam?

3. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Need some edu-ma-cation on this one man. Can you school us a bit? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

4. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

They call it a Hydra-Solid cam, with adustable lope and no ticking.
    It specs at 293/306 advertised duration and 218/227 at .050"
    with a lift of .440"/.460", RPM range is idle to 7000.
    Aparently it idles just like a stock grind but if you want a little lope to it then you set the lash a bit tighter on the exhaust.
    The lifters designed for this cam give 10deg less duration than their regular ones and restores to full duration and lift at 2500 RPM's.
    The cam and lifters are a matched set, no other lifter can be used with the cam same with the lifters.
    Rhoads has had variable lift lifters out for along time.
    I was lookin at their site gettin some info on them and seen they had a cam and lifter set.
    I was ready to buy one of Comp's grinds and use Rhoads lifters.
    But the Rhoads cam had a nice profile that was similar to the one from Comp.
    And since it was designed as a variable duration grind I bought it.
    They only make em for SBC's and the guy I talked to at Rhoads said they had no plans to design one for any other engine. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
    You can check it out at Rhoads lifters.com.
    What it means when ya stab it in is you will have a plant that idles smooth and has around 17" of vaccume.
    Good bottom and mid range and when ya bury your foot in it it will come unglued.
    With regular Rhoads lifters there is a noticeable ticking like you are running solid lifters.
    There is no ticking with this cam, but you do have to set the lash like a solid. .040".
    Or to get a lope at idle adjust the exhaust at .030"
    That's about all I know of it.
    I haven't seen anything on it yet.
    A good Q-jet sittin on an Ebrock RPM manifold with a decent set of heads (180-200cc intake runners) and around 9:1 compression should be enough to twist that mouses tail to around 6K.
    I was gonna take in and spin it in the drums to see what it put out.
    Shannons buddy has a chassis dyno where he works. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
    I think this cam would be an excellant choice for any SBC to 406CI.

5. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Sounds really cool. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

I'm going to have to rebuild the engine in my /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif soon. I kind of like what that cam has to offer. I wonder how it would do with an Edelbrock EPS intake, headers, and my quadra-crud. I'll be getting my heads worked on too. Kinda want to build a stout 350. I don't need to go monstrous on it. I want to build something strong and reliable that I don't have to tinker with all the time. When I built my 454, I ALWAYS had to tinker with it to get it to run right. Seemed like every time the weather changed it would run crappy.

Anyway, I'll keep this in mind for future reference. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Thanks for the education! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif