Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any Buick LeSabre owners out there?

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by bowtiepower00, Apr 9, 2003.

1. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

I'm looking at buying a mid 90's Buick LeSabre probably a 93-95 model. Anyone out there have any experiences with one? Anything I should look for? Thanks...

2. Klink K5

Klink K5 1/2 ton status

Look for intake gaskets leaking antifreeze around throttle body. Other than that, they are a nice car.

3. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

I have a '95 with 125K on it.
    Do highly recommend them. Get as good as 30mpg on the highway. The 3800 is one of the best engines made, IMO. '93-94 would have OBDI computer for easier diagnosis. My '95 has OBDII so I can't jump the terminals to check codes, minor detail however.

Mine is a Lesabre Limited. Dark metallic green, tan leather. Split bench, power both sides, like the 6 passenger ability and have used it many times. Dual zone climate control(C67) would have preffered the C60 standard system. Have the gauges package in the I/P, much better than standard, aluminum wheels(15"). The 15" give a better ride than the 16s.

There is a plastic nipple for the bypass hose under the alternator that likes to rot off. Easy to replace, as long as it's not on the side of the road /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif. If a bearing rumble is heard under the hood the two main culprits are the alternator and water pump.

4. bowtiepower00

Need a nice highway car, looking for either a Lesabre or a Caprice, either one will probably be OBD-1, as I will do the maintainence myself. Can't beat the prices or the drivetrain. Got a Honda CRX for now, it's not a bad car but not really my cup of tea.

5. fright89

fright89 1/2 ton status

i agree about the 3800. I have an 89 with close to 200,000 and it runs great no problems. realy takes off when you hit 2nd

its in the olds from my previous post.

6. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

So, have you found a LeSabre yet?

7. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I dont have a Le Sabre but I have a 93 Bonneville that I bought new. Its the same platform/engine(3800) as the Buick. Its a great car. 140000 miles and still running strong and uses no oil. Besides normal maint (brakes shocks ect) I have only replaced the water pump and 2 alternators and that plastic hose fitting that DD mentioned.
    Its a great highway car.
    Its made many round trips to grannys house (600 miles) at 85+ mph /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I just picked myself up a 2000 Buick Regal. All the goodies inside. Yes I traded my 1993 S10 with over 140,000 on it and blowing sh!t out the exhaust on it. I got 2800 for the truck so I ain't complaing.

Now the car on the other hand gets great fuel mileage, but I just have one problem. I am losing anti freeze soemwhere. The overflow tank keeps going down and I can't figure it out. Any ideas?

Sorry to hijack your thread!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Yea I agreee Thunder, these engines have some get up and go. Should I mention that I took her to the peg mark? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Smooooooth ride.

9. bowtiepower00

No LeSabre yet... Still looking around and getting my current car ready to sell. One of these days... Also considering a 9C1 Caprice, but I know I'll want to spend too much money fixing one of those up...

10. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Re: The slow water leak.
    When my Bonneville wae around 3 years old and just out of warentee. It did the same thing as your Regal. First thing I thought was OH S!#$! not the head gasket.But after checking things out real close I noticed it had a small leak where they joined the plastic side tanks on the radiator, to the core. The leak was at the very top so it didn't leak unless the engine was running and warm. I pulled the radiator and took it to a shop. They only charged 40.00 to put new tank gaskets in it. They told me it is a common problem with those plastic/aluminium radiators.

You also might want to check out the water pump bypass hose fitting as mentioned in eariler posts. It is the fitting that is on the engine side. Dont know if GM is still using the plastic one but they can get a hairline crack in them and leak small ammounts. When I replaced mine I got the metal HD fitting.

11. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

That would explain the smell only when the engine gets hot and smells really bad. Gonna have to check these thigns out since I am still under the GM Certified Warranty!!!