Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

any car recievers with audio input? speaker recommendations?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Bones454, Dec 3, 2002.

1. Bones454

Bones454 Newbie

well, im gonna try to revamp my bone stock 6-speaker system in my '94 GMC 2500 burb soon, and need some advice...

i was thinkin about the following 2 options:

-replace the stock equalizer and reciever with a new head unit, then run an output (if possible?) to a custom 5" LCD mounted where the original reciever was to have a visual audio output.

if this is not possible(anyone done this/knows about optical reciever outputs?) then ill try the following:

-run a miniATX computer in the center console, and have it output visuals to the 5" LCD and sound to the reciever(again, is this possible? i have an aiwa head unit with an auxilliary input jack but i was thinkin about a hidden jack for a cleaner look).

also, any recommendations for a quality 8-speaker system? im pretty fond of my 2 full-range RF punch 6.5's, but im keeping my options open... basically i need 6 solid speakers for the mids and highs and 2 10s or 12s in the back for some serious lows. im also looking for a good amp(d class?) and reciever to complement this setup. any suggestions? sorry for all the requests! /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I recomened that you contact BozoWise sence he runs a car stereo shop and deals with it everyday.

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Running home computer equipment in an automotive environment is never a good idea. A laptop computer is at least partially "ruggedized" for that environment but is still not good enough....

Considerations like shock, vibration and extreme temperatures mean that you are probably going to put that equipment beyond it's design specifications. If I had to guess....your biggest headaches would be with disk drives and any plug in cards that would work lose and/or break at the connector.

It's going to be cheaper and more reliable to solve your issues with products that are designed for the automotive environment. I'll echo what Z3PR said and suggest you PM BozoWise for suggestions....he owns an audio shop and is quite active on this board.

4. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

----replace the stock equalizer and reciever with a new head unit, then run an output (if possible?) to a custom 5" LCD mounted where the original reciever was to have a visual audio output.------

Ok correct me if I am wrong but your burb has the old style dash with the radio in the upper dash and the tape-eq under the airconditioner vents in the center. You can replace the eq with and aftermarket headunit, and then replace the radio with a monitor. I have done a monitor there, but it was a raw inch that we made a custom bezel for and the customer had us mount a rear view camera to it.

I am a bit confussed with some of your termenology though. Do you want a headunit with audio inputs in the form or RCAS? Because Clarion has alot of headunits with that. As far as audio visual outputs off a headunit you would have to have a headunit that either has built in dvd video or that controls a seperate dvd, vcr unit. Clarion also is the place to look.

Or save a lot of time and buy the Clarion 925DVD unit that is a flip out 7" monitor with touch screen controls and plays just about anything you can put on a cd. Then replace the factory radio with a pocket and through junk in it ;-) Check out Clarion's website and there multimedia area.

If you have anymore questions I'll try my best to help, but Clarion is one of the TOP's for multimedia.

5. AudioMaster

AudioMaster Registered Member

Your options are wide open. There are several ways to do what you want to do. Mobile Video is a piece of cake when you think through the signal chain. First, I am sure you want to maintain the functions that your regular deck has (cd, radio, ect.) You are in luck that you have a deck with an aux input already. So you already have something to pipe the audio to the rest of your system. Now you need a video signal to feed a monitor and an audio signal to feed the aux input. The most common solution to your question is to buy an external DVD player and mount it under the seat in your truck then wire the audio out to your deck and the video out to your monitor. There are several different brands of stand alone DVD players on the market that would fit your needs. A very popular choice is the Sony Playstation II. Not only do you get DVD movie capability but you also have a full blown game system i your vehicle. The second option is to buy a deck with a fold out video screen and built in DVD player. These decks will fit right into your dash (in your case where the sock tape deck and EQ are located). The common practice as was mentined above is to replace your stock radio with a cubby hole or storage bin as the stock radio will no longer be functional. This will give you some great storage. There are really 3 companies that are ahead of the curb on mobile video fold out screens you see them all the time in the best installs, Kenwood and Pioneer. They both offer decks with fold out screens and DVD players built in. These decks have video out that you can pipe to additional monitors in your burb. There are also several brands of video switchers made for mobile A/V that will allow you to put in mulitple sources, such as video games, ect. This is your most complete (and most expensive) route. But will allow you the most freedom in our system.
    Adding video to your car is easier and cheaper than ever before. Figure out exactly what direction you would like to go and how much you want to spend and we'll point you to the products that will fit your needs and your budget the best.

~AM