Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any carb preferences??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bigjblazer, May 11, 2002.

1. bigjblazer

bigjblazer Registered Member

Im gettin a new carb this week, for my 84 K-5 with a 305, its got a rochester 4 barrel on it now, but dont really know what kind i need. Lookin for something in the $250 range. Ill be gettin a new intake manifold and headers in a few weeks too. Let me know what works good for you, or just what combo sounds the best. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

2. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Keep or rebuild the Q- Jet ( The best carb made for off road use) and get a Edelbrock Performer manifold.

3. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Sounds like you have a Quadrajet. That's maybe the best offroad carb around. The problem must people don't tune them right. If you can get a decent shop, a rebuild won't cost you that much and you'll be fine with that carb.

If it has worn shafts or something else that goes beyond repair, I'd recommend an Edelbrock Quadrajet. They are pricey, though (mine was more than $400), but they are definitely worth it.

At that time my combo was the Edelbrock Q-jet #1902, an Edelbrock Performer intake and a set of Flowtech Afterburner headers.

Right now I'm running the same carb in my 454, but a Greenwood chevy polished aluminum Performer clone intake and a set of Thorley headers.

4. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Summit sells rebuild kits. Buy that. They used to have a book on rebuilding and tuning quadrajets for around $20. I know Amazon has it because that is where I bought mine.

I'd rebuild because if you ever plan on playing with carburetors in the future you'll have the tools and literature needed to do it. Plus, it tells you how to get the maximum performance out of a quadrajet.

5. bigjblazer

bigjblazer Registered Member

well, thing is, i dont have to pay for the carb. Would it actually be better to get the old one rebuilt, or buy a brand new one? cause I can get a new one, as long as its under 250.

6. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

given those guidelines, have a reputable shop rebuild & tune the carb, or rebuild it yourself and keep the extra money, or pay for the other half of the new edelbrock Q.

If the carb is capable of running good. I.E. its original carb with the correct jetting for the engine, and the throttle shaft bushings are not problematic, then rebuild it yourself if you feel up to it. Its really not that hard and Ive had excellent results rebuilding stock Q's and they run great afterwards. not to mention its a good learning experience if youve never done it. What I recommend doing, if you are highly unfamiliar with the Quadrajet, is get a junk q-jet from a junkyard or ebay (sometimes they're almost free) and disassemble that, and see if you can put it back together. it will be MUCH easier the second time. OR if you get stuck during the actual rebuild, you can refer to the other carb.. Like I said, its not rocket science. If you normally do the work on your engine/truck then you can rebuild it easily and its cheap and have it back running that same day. The rochester carbs book by doug roe is nice to have too..

mike

7. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

i like my carter afb that i bought when i put in the new motor. however i think it was a little more than your budget (don't remember price), but you might also want to look into the "air gap" intakes??

8. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Who's paying for it then? I'll take a free $250 carburetor.

First off, get an Edelbrock or Carter one from Summit or Jeg's. Call them and ask them if anything is sealed (like the primary adjustment screws).

Whatever you do, don't buy a "remanufactured" or "rebuilt" one from the local auto parts store. 99% of the time everything is sealed and when they have to do machine work they make a mess out of the carb. Performance is not an option with these carburetors.

If you don't think can or don't want to rebuild it yourself you should get some quotes from the local shops. Make sure they're reputable. More often than not these places cut corners (because you can usually get away with it on a carb). If it's anything more than $75 tell them to go fly a kite in a lightning storm and go buy a brand spanking new one from Summit. Even a "junk" quadrajet can be rebuilt in an hour if you've done it before and a rebuild kit is only $30. If you do take it to a shop, I suggest marking the carb with a center punch in a choice area so you know you got yours back.

9. Lazydog

Lazydog 1/2 ton status

I bought a new Carter AFB for $290. It's a good street carb, but a few times while wheelin it stalled out on me. That's about as cheap as you can get for a new carb.