Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any chance my transmission isn't dead?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by freakpower, Jun 10, 2003.

1. freakpower

freakpower Registered Member

Any chance my transmission isn\'t dead?

My '71 had been sitting for a few weeks, so I hopped in yesterday for a little spin around the block. I put her in drive, mashed the gas and started moving forward. Once the engine revved to the point it should've shifted into 2nd, it didn't. I let off the gas, then mashed again--this time nothing, no forward progress whatsoever.

So here's my situation, I still have reverse, but no forward. Any chance the transmission (TH350) isn't terminal? Could there be a simple fix, or am I looking at a costly rebuild?

Thanks.

2. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Re: Any chance my transmission isn\'t dead?

Hmm. Check the fluid level. Sounds like your a couple quarts low. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    Then check the linkage and make sure its not actually a little bit off and slips into neutral when you think it's in drive... Drop the pan and you'll probably find a bunch of black burnt clutch material at the bottom of the pan, maybe some sliver looking stuff too.... You put it in 1st 2nd and 3rd and no movement... And all you have is reverse? That sounds like the first time my TH350 went out. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    I drove home about a mile in reverse.... You shoulda seen the look on these people's face when i pulled up to the stoplight backwards and looking over my shoulder at the light. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. 72beater

72beater 1/2 ton status

it could also be the vaccum shift actuator thing on the right hand rear of the tranny.

4. freakpower

freakpower Registered Member

Well, I checked the linkage, and it seemed to be shifting past neutral. The vacuum thing looked intact; I wouldn't really know what to do other than inspect the hose for obvious damage. So, I took a deep breath and started unbolting the pan. . .

. . . And so you're telling me that all of this black and silver stuff isn't supposed to be there, like it's a bad thing?
    [​IMG] click here for a larger shot
    (I'm kidding, only because a buddy of mine took his 2002 F250 back to the dealer, because it had metal shavings in the oil--dealer said they weren't worried about it. Apparently miscellaneous metal in the vital parts of your engine don't always indicate a serious problem. Maybe that only applies to Fords!)

The sad truth to all of this is that I think my first K5 is dead to me. I just don't think the overall condition of it merits the expense of the rebuilt transmission, and it's not a project I feel like trying myself.

Now, if anybody out there wants to give it a go, you can have it, cheap. Maybe a good parts truck. Haven't had a lick of trouble with the 350 motor. Make an offer--I have plenty of pics I can send you, or I can post a URL if there's interest, and I promise to answer any questions honestly as best I can. If you're near Chattanooga, TN you're, of course, welcome to come see it in person.

I'd wanted a 1st gen. Blazer for a long, long time, but never had the money when I saw one, or never found one when I had the loot. One day the planets aligned, I had some spare cash, saw her for sale and jumped. Wish I'd found this board before--I might have realized that I could've been a little more selective. Not that she's totally trashed, just that she turned out to be more of a project than I really wanted.

The biggest issue is that she has the cancer--maybe not terminal, just more than I can really deal with. I've had her for two years, and until now haven't had any serious problems. But now I'm faced with rebuilding the transmission for almost what I paid for her, and I think that, for my situation, I might be better off putting that money, plus some, toward another truck that might require less major work. No regrets though, she was even a daily driver for several months.

OK, I'm getting misty-eyed, so I'll quit. The bottom line is that it's time for my truck to go. I realize the good folks here are true connoisseurs, so maybe mine isn't for y'all, but I can't bear the thought of sending her to a junkyard--if there's a good home out there, there's no better place than this board to look. Shoot me an email if you're even vaguely interested.

And finally, if you know of anyone looking to sell in the $4K to $7K range, let me know.

Thanks, I'll be back soon.
    BSJ

5. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Reverse/Low Clutch pack is fried, it'll have to be pulled, and rebuilt. It will still work in reverse because of the lower gear ratio, low however wil not apply, too much gear ratio.

Note: The Reverse/Low Clutch pack is the last thing out of the trans. case, and the first to go in. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif