Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any Cheap & Easy ways to relocate Rear Shocks Inboard ??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 88Silverado, Feb 13, 2004.

1. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Im looking for ideas on relocating my rear shocks inboard.
    I know 55Willys use to make a mounting setup and a new Mo-Offroad setup is out of my price range with shipping (although it does look pretty easy)

Anyone else make their own?? Ideas??

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

You may want to have a chat with Stephen Watson about this before you go too far, especially if this rig gets driven on the street. When you move the shocks inboard they lose most of their ability to help stabilize the rig in corners because they are then too far away from the ends of the axle housing, which is where most of the movement occurs at that time. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I think that Toby (moneypit) also noticed a huge difference in handling when the gang at ORD moved his shocks back towards the ends of the rear housing.

3. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    You may want to have a chat with Stephen Watson about this before you go too far, especially if this rig gets driven on the street. When you move the shocks inboard they lose most of their ability to help stabilize the rig in corners because they are then too far away from the ends of the axle housing, which is where most of the movement occurs at that time.

[/ QUOTE ]

That might be a viable deal, but why is it that you look at all ford and dodge trucks and all there shocks are inboard stock from the factory?

4. 88Silverado

Mine is a daily driver. My concern is after I did the 4" lift, I got 8403 shocks for all corners. There isnt much room for upward travel (especially with the rubber stop) and am afraid of breaking the mount. Maybe I need to go to a shorter shock or cut the stop off.

Im sure if the shocks were mounted way inboard there would be some problems. Just like I dont think the stock setup can be layed back any farther. Looking for some ideas,
    Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. rock.monkey

rock.monkey 1/2 ton status

Yup ,coppied it from someone on this site. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cost............nuthen

Truck still rides and corners fine and I dont bottom the shocks out (i think there rs5012's)

6. 88Silverado

Interesting....
    What are the lower mounts?? Are they just welded on?

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Check out the pics that rock.monkey posted. As the shocks get on a steeper angle, they will move less for a given amount of axle motion, reducing their ability to do their job. The more vertical they are then the better they will work.

As for the Ford and Dodge question above... Look closely next time. See that big sway bar that they come from the factory with? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

8. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

I pretty much copied the pics that Rock Monkey posted. Only thing was I put the mounts on the axle behind the tubes, so they wouldn't get crushed. Madeb the top mount out of 1.5 .120 tubing, then mounted the studs in the tubing. The mount has brackets that bolt to where the bumpstop rivets were.

As far as the shock angle, If your building your truck to carve corners then don't do this mod. But if you do like most everyone else, your not going to be road racing, and believe it or not I can hardly tell the loss I had in dampening. I almost think it rides better now. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

If you want the longer shocks, and don't want to cut into the floor for towers, do it. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

9. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

email me since I'm blue, but I'm in the process of moving to Boise,ID so I'm going through all my stuff and selling what I have laying around, I can probably round you up one. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

-Jeremy

10. rock.monkey

Bottom mounts are 3" channel. I drilled a hole in them to bolt the stock mount into them then welded them to the tubes.

The top mount is just bolted to the bump-stop brackets.

As for handling, it's better now.

If you need larger pics, let me know.

11. 88Silverado

Larger pics would be great!

Thanks

12. DougK20

DougK20 1/2 ton status

Here's my set-up. Total cost $12. Does it handle differently? yes. Is it worth the extra flex? Hell, yeah! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

*Note: I added zero-rates since this pic and cured bottom-out. (They were part of plan all along)

13. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Here's my set-up. Total cost $12. Does it handle differently? yes. Is it worth the extra flex? Hell, yeah! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

*Note: I added zero-rates since this pic and cured bottom-out. (They were part of plan all along)

[/ QUOTE ]
    What did you use for the cross member at the top? Any more pics of how they are mounted?
    Bill

14. DougK20

DougK20 1/2 ton status

I made the crossmember from 2" angle iron. Cut, drilled, and painted. Then I drilled through the upper frame to mount it. I found some small brackets at a local 4x4 shop and welded them on the tube (thx muddinmike!).

15. rock.monkey

I put some larger pics. up in my members section the names on the larger pics. start with rear. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

16. 88Silverado

Wow...that looks simple enough. Have any closeup's of the crossmember frame mount?

Also..is that a 14SF rear?

17. DougK20

DougK20 1/2 ton status

Sorry, no close-up shots. Just scoot your chair really close to the monitor! /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif Yes, it was really easy and I enjoyed building it. Thanks for asking!

BTW, it is a 14bsf w/Detroit

18. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

btw, i DD my truck with the shocks set like this /\ everyday. It handles fine. I also have no sway bar or any kind of stabilizer on the D60 frontend. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif