Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any Chevelle owners here?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by JohnnyFresno, Jul 10, 2002.

1. JohnnyFresno

JohnnyFresno 1/2 ton status

I plan on buying a Chevelle as a project car or I might buy it and use one as a daily till I get my blazer to specs. Anyways I was wondering what your thoughts were on years? I particualy like the 67" Malibu I wont be buying a true SS too much for me. Have any of you done a resto on one? Just throw me all the info you can.

Thanks

2. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

I built up a 67 a few years ago...IMHO the best year for looks that Chevy made the Chevelle. Get a Year One catalog. That was the best move I made. Some people have had poor luck with them, but I found a good rep and it was smooth from there. I had a 68 SS396 as well, but didn't like it nearly as much as the 67.

3. mudrunner78

mudrunner78 1/2 ton status

I owned a 67 in high school, it was a SS, body had the normal chevy problem rear window rusting, and bottom of the doors, mine was a 396/th-400 ran really well but the #'s didnt match, we redid the interior and suspension, but body work cost scared me into selling the car, wished I never did /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif My wife owned a 70 454 SS clone when I met here totally restored great shape, but she sold it when we got married and moved to germany /forums/images/icons/frown.gif think she was scared that I would keep the keys. Chevelles are great cars if you can get one with a good body, your resto should be pretty easy, or if your a talented body person you'll be ok. Jesse

here are pics of my chevelle
    chevelle

4. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

i had a 69 el camino before i got the blazer...the front half from the doors forward are basicly the same...i liked that year for the shape of the dash and the grill...the 68 looked almost the same except for a few minor changes to the grill by removing the center bar where the chevy bow tie was and a few changes in the shape of the dash..if you get one and need parts there is a great place for parts...located in stockton... Jim Dyers chevy classics...all he deals with is chevelle, el camino and camaro parts he is kinda pricy but has every hard to find part you can think of...some new mostly used.. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

5. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

cough70-454SScough

my dream car lol.

6. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

My father-in law has a 70 454 SS clone. Its a sharp car. Its not totally restored, but it still is in great condition. Now if I could just get him to let me borrow it. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

7. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Had a '68 SS for a spell. I picked it up for the cost of towing. The interior was gone except for a brand new dash. The front fenders, engine and tranny were gone. I took it home, stuffed it in the garage and restored it somewhat. There was a hell of a lotta rust in the rear quarter panels and bottoms of the doors. I restored it to factory first...then after my buddy smacked up the arse end real bad I turned it into a drag car. It's still running local drags frequently. The guy still lets me run it once in awhile. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Anyway, it was a ton o' money but...I'd do it all over again! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

8. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

My dad bought a 68 SS396 new in 68! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif , As for me I always on the look out for that little old granny who has a 1970 Chevelle SS454 LS-6, with a Muncie M-22 Rockcrusher 4-speed, sitting in a barn for 500 bones /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

9. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

AHHHHH HAH HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif Well, I gues it COULD happen....NOT!!! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif Your funny! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

10. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

I am currently doing a conversion on a 1971 SS Chevelle. It is a clone, but nobody can tell unless you eat, sleep and breathe Chevelle's. Some of the pics are on my website. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif I will find some of the links that I have used in this project and post them later.

11. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

That's a nice rig! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

12. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

That Chevelle has been keeping me pretty busy lately. I have to replace the transmission now. The old one is about to let loose.

I will keep posting pics of all the mods and repairs that are going to be done. I am going to paint it this winter. (Like I need more projects.)

13. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i want a 71 chevelle SS 454. badly! /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

14. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

My bro-in-law has a '70 SS, 396, 4 speed, 12 bolt with 4.10's and posi.

None of the numbers match though. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

He got this car back when he was in 8th grade. He is 36 years old now. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

The original paint color was red with white stripes. When he got it in 8th grade, he picked out the colors for the guy to paint it before he bought it. It's gold with black stripes now.

The interior is the tan or beige color. Bucket seats, console, Hurst shifter, etc.

15. captain chaos

captain chaos 1/2 ton status

also wanting a 70.
    i do have for sale a factory 72 402 bb for a chevelle.
    72 and 73 only year's offered from the factory 402.

dave

16. JohnnyFresno

JohnnyFresno 1/2 ton status

There is a bad ass 67 454 SS on ebay right now. man I would give my left nut for that.

17. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Like your left nut is gonna do you any good nor is it worth anything? /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

18. loudnowlouder

loudnowlouder 1/2 ton status

hahaha funny that this is brought up...
    i live near NIH, the national institute of health, and theres a rumor thats been floating around my college for years that you can get paid for crazy medical testing....
    one of my friends earned like 3 grand doing a drug test, for a few months they'd pick him up at his house, drive him there, get him really stoned, and run tests on him to see what it does to the brain, then drive him back home....

but the big rumor involved them taking a perfectly functional nut from a donor, and the payoff was something in the neighborhood of 70 grand...
    so of course at one point or another all of us thought about it, the main point was, am i more likely to pick up a girl in a bar with both of them, or with only one while driving a new viper...
    we all knew the answer but never could go through with it...

19. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

This is a bit related, but not really....

When I was in high school, we were out playing football and my buddy Matt took a hellacious hit to the happy sack. One of his cashews got cracked. They had to remove it. They put a little silicone implant in so that he would look normal. It's been almost 15 years and to this day we all STILL call him wingnut! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif I still laugh like hell when I think about it! Musta hurt like hell though!

20. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I've had a 64, 66, 68, 69, and 70. My fav was the 69 with a 396/4-speed /forums/images/icons/grin.gifChevelles are fun cars !!!!! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif