Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any climbers/hikers?

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by BurbinOR, Feb 28, 2004.

1. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Do a fair bit of hiking (done 34 of the 'Top 50 hikes in Oregon'), and we climbed Mt. St. Helens summer of '02. Pics of climb here

2. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Have done 5 or 6 of Colorado's 14'ers need to do some more, so far "Longs Peak" was the most challenging, I threw up at the summit. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

3. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I did a backpack trip ...man like 6 years ago in BC. summit was just a touch over 7K. I got to see the Northern Lights for the frst time, most meaningfull trip I have been on.

I can't wait to see what Boise has to offer. I already have my skis and bike loaded,LOL

4. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Before I had kids I did an awful lot of hiking and backpacking. My longest day distance-wise was 17.5 miles with a total elevation gain of 4000 ft with 70 lbs on my back!!!!

The most memorable trip I've done was a 3 nighter in Yoho National Park. Total distance was 39 miles. One section of the trail parallels a glacier for about 5 miles. I wish I had some pics uploaded that I could share of that one.....

Ahhhhh, the good ol' days. We still go hiking as a family, but with a 6 year old and a 3 year old in tow we don't get a chance to do anything too extreme anymore......

5. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

I used to hike Daniel Boone National Forest in eastern Kentucky. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif There are a suprising number of cliffs for rock climbing. I only do mild stuff now - camp - then local trails in the immediate area. Can't wander too far from the beer cooler, ya know. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

Mike

6. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

When I was in the Army a buddy of mine and I did a ton of climbing and hiking out in the Wildlife refugee North of post.
    I'd still do that if I hadn't trashed my knees so bad, now it's just some of the day trails around here in Southern Ohio.
    When the kids get a bit older we may do an overnighter once in a while.

7. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

My wife and I hike and backpack. We have several hundred miles backpacking each. We have been into ultralight for the last few years. We are considering doing the "highest peak in all 50 states" thing.

8. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Nothing too extreme, yet. The wife and I are working our way up to bigger & better trails. Some of the better ones we hiked were the last few miles of the Appalachian Trail (it runs from Maine to GA), I'd like to through hike the GA section next year (76 mi). Kennesaw Mountain, its close to the house, w/ some good elevation changes, but nothing extreme, we take my daughter's Brownie troop there regularly. My favorite so far is the Bear Hair Gap Trail. Great views, 1000' elevation change in 4 miles, its close to one of the best 4WD trails in GA and a natural waterslide, so it makes for a good w/e. The Coosa Backcountry Trail is on the same mountain range and is about 15 miles long. It starts at the same 2200' as the BHGT but tops out at 4200' only after dropping down to just under 900'. The trail is up and down the whole way so elevation change is around 3500'. The wife and I are doing this one as an overnighter in a few months.
    I’m going to come hike something w/ a little more elevation once I get my stamina built up a little better. We don't have the kind of elevation here that you CO guys do. The highest point in GA (Brasstown Bald) is just under 4800', IIRC.

9. bigjbear

My uncle climbed Mt. St. Helens back in the '70s before it erupted. He's got some cool pics framed in his living room from that trip. I guess I won't be able to do that one /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

10. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    We don't have the kind of elevation here that you CO guys do. The highest point in GA (Brasstown Bald) is just under 4800', IIRC.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I would have to hike down from the base parking lot a good ways to get to that elevation. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

11. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    I would have to hike down from the base parking lot a good ways to get to that elevation.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Amen! It's 7,050 feet in my driveway. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I do most of my hiking during hunting season. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

12. bigjbear

Yheah, yeah... I figured you guys would brag /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I havent hiked anything big since I left California. On the plus side its probably easier to get back into the swing of it here.

13. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

My bro and I attempted to summit Mt. Shasta in '02. I was outta shape big time! I got altitude sickness at 10k' and passed out. My bro dragged my ass back down to 8k' where I regained consciousness(sp?). So, needless to say I have a score to settle with Shasta. My bro and I are attempting it again on May 22.

Steve, climbing some of Colorado 14ner's is on my "goals for life" list(right under a threesome with Mandy Moore & Britney Spears /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif) When I first moved to CO, I thought there were only about 10-12 14ners there. Little did I know there's a helluva lot more than that! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BTW I live at 400'. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Hell, the highest point in the whole state is only 8751'(Guadalupe Peak)!

14. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

I didn't build a 4x to walk.

Besides HS Wrestling did in my knees. Sidehills have me hurting pretty fast.

15. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    My favorite so far is the Bear Hair Gap Trail. Great views, 1000' elevation change in 4 miles, its close to one of the best 4WD trails in GA and a natural waterslide, so it makes for a good w/e. The Coosa Backcountry Trail is on the same mountain range and is about 15 miles long.

[/ QUOTE ]were is this at and what 4x4 trail is it by I might have to check it out

16. bigjbear

Very close to Bisley Knob

17. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Do a fair bit of hiking (done 34 of the 'Top 50 hikes in Oregon'), and we climbed Mt. St. Helens summer of '02. Pics of climb here

[/ QUOTE ]

I did lots of hiking when I was younger actually from age 6 to age 32 I was hiking at least 5 times a year for 5-7 day trips at a time. My highest has been 12k feet and that was when I was living in the Middles east, now I am still trying to find buddies that would like to hke and so far I have been on some of the trails in Yosemite but I still plan on going higher and longer.
    I have back packed/hiked 30 miles a day for years and sometimes longer, I don't think I can do that much anymore though.

Getting close to the four O
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i hiked the appalation trail from somewhere in tennessee to hotsprings north carolina. its was suposibly the toughest section on the entire trail. 5 days/4 nights. was a blast, rained 2 days and had a few bears follow us for 2 days (that was fun /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif) i would love to go down there again and hike some more of the trail. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

19. kw48653

kw48653 Registered Member

i did from the start to hot springs (cool town!) myself. one of the best months of my life! i'd still like to finish some day.