Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

any cops in here??

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MUD JUNKIE, Oct 19, 2002.

1. MUD JUNKIE

MUD JUNKIE 1/2 ton status

I was thinking on going to the police acadamy to be a police officer,got any info?

2. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

Pay attention to the revised statutes when they talk about then, you will need to know them on the post test. When you are issued your vehicle in the academy, keep it spotless and run a maintnance notebook on it. Don't cheap out on equipment, get the best you can, especially for weapons retention. Go to www.galls.com and look at the bianci equipment. Uncle Mikes stuff is not too bad either.
    Get some posters of busy scenes, like street scenes. Study them for about 5 minutes. Hand them to a friend and have them ask you questions about the posters, name of stores, what clothes people are wearing, the type and color of vehicles, names of stores, etc.

and above all, when you are standing keep your hands above you waist and towards the front, never interlock your arms.

Get some books on Gang identification. Email me and I will send you pages from a gang book that has many identies on Security threat groups (gangs)

Ask lots of questions during class, never right before a break or at quitting time. That is a good way of other candidates practicing pressure point control tactics on you...

John

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Just got out of the academy out here in Kali, still a wannabe though. Have you ever checked in on the boards over at Cop Website? Good info over there. Hopefully it will be worth it in the end cause ole Bubba Ray loves his donuts.

But really, make sure it's something you want to do. Are you married? And figure out your strongpoints and weakpoints. And be prepared to study your a** off.

4. NEOMASTINO2U

NEOMASTINO2U 1/2 ton status

my husband and i were both police officers for years, the academy is there to train you and teach you both physically and menataly, be prepared to work hard, there is a state acadamey and some counties have a post acadamy not all counties have a post (all the post academy is is extra training for that county) you can go into the state academy not knowing anything about police work and procedures usually that is the way they like it, sometimes they get reserves and explorer's that have made it to being a cop but then they have to break there bad habits that they picked up or bad training. most state academy's like a clean slate to work with so when you walk out of there you are a rookie but you are prepared for most situations the rest is learned at the department that has hired you and from your partner if you have one or from time and experience. if you have any other questions just pm me anytime okay me or my husband can answer your questions if you want. its a good career but watch out for the politics that end up in most departments and you will love the paper work! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    kelly

5. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Should a said canidiate go for any collage work? Like at the community collage level or would that be a waist of time and energy?

6. NEOMASTINO2U

Ufortunitly most departments now require some college course's, especially in criminal law, they will except 1-2 years of it, but some departments if you start out as a reserve without the college, they will have you take the test when they have an opening and if you score high enough then they will pay to send you to the academy without college courses. but if you are joe blow from off the street you can still do it without college background it is not a requirement but it does up your chances of getting hired by a department plus if you ever plan on being a detective or want to become sergeant or even chief you would need those classes to get ahead. like here in bothell they require a couple of years in college (criminal justice) before you can take the test or file an application. but like in mt. lake terrace as long as you are 21 with no criminal record you can fill out an application and pay to take the test and be put on there list, same as in lynnwood don't necessarily need college, but everett likes you to have college or have been a reserve officer or an explorer before they will look at your application and you have to fill out an application with any department and if they like you they let you know when and where testing is and if you past the test then you go to the physical test and if you past that and your background check and polygraph test and fingerprints check then they hire you after a long interview process with several people and once you are hired by a department then they send you to the academy for 16-18weeks depending on where you are at and then you get out and start working at the department that hired you. unfortunitly every department is different with there requirements, here in washington you can't go to the academy unless you are hired by someone, they do have a different academy for reserves that teaches you the basics the rest is learned on the job, but if you have an interest in law enforcement then try and get on as a reserve police officer first that will give you some knowledge and training and helps you get in the department faster than someone off the street plus it lets you know if you are going to like it or not. also some reserves do get paid for there work. hope this helped.
    kelly

7. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

I would do a reserve postion. But at this point in life, having a mortgage and bills to pay, I need income.
    Do you know if ride alongs are done here in Wa.?

8. NEOMASTINO2U

ride alongs are usually welcome in most departments, just call them or you can even go in and ask them if you could do a couple of ride alongs, then they will have you fill out some paperwork asking you why you want to and also you will have to sign a form stating you can't sue if you get hurt or shot and that they aren't responsible if you do. but then they will ask you when you want to do a ride along and if you have a preference on who you want to ride with so if you know someone in that department they will have you ride with them. unfortunatly they don't let you get out of the car on most calls you have to sit and observe but if you know the officer they will let you out of the car on non dangerous calls, but it does give you an idea what goes on, most of the time it actually is really boring even the paperwork is boring! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif but even if you work full time you can still be a reserve they have it when you can work on the days or nights you are available and it may take some scrimping and stuff and some hard work and long hours but if you want a career in it start as a reserve and work hard at being a good reserve and prepare yourself for the test and the physical test, then find out who is hiring and getting ready to have the test, the next step would be to put in an application and make sure you put down that you are a reserve officer and they will look at that even if you have only been one for 6 months then as long as you pass all the other requirments you will get hired then its off to the academy! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif but you will be able to come home on the weekends and i think they have changed things here in washington to where you get paid while you are in the academy its not much but if thats the career you want go for it, word of warning though officers don't get paid much these days unfortunitely, actually the pay sucks for putting your life on the line! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif put it this way our pay every two weeks was 1200.00 thats 600 a week after taxes and union dues and everything else you get taken out only plus is the benefits medical and dental and vision are really good in most departments. Lynnwood's police department had good bene's and okay life insurance but the union doesn't protect or help you with anything they just take your money, that and the rep sucks for union. any way good luck and any other info you need just let me know okay.
    kelly

9. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

I'm actually only thinking of this now because a few years ago I figured that state patrol was the biggest. Ha what a joke I wouldn't have even got outta the car for the pay they get(no wonder they're always in a pissy mood)
    But I was talking with a Redmond officer that is a buddys neibor and he said with the overtime and some other stuff you can make like 100K! I spoke to my buddy later and found out the dude made like over 100K! If I can do that I'm soooo in! Thats why I want to do ride alongs I wanna figure out if he is an icolated case case or what! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

10. NEOMASTINO2U

/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gifholy crap! i have never heard of a cop making that much a year geez if the pay had been that good i would of stayed same with hubby! maybe he made that much by being crooked! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif you can make alot more money but thats alot of overtime and doing side jobs like bars and night clubs will hire off duty officers to keep an eye on the place and people. if a cop made that much money he wouldn't have to work all the overtime and side jobs which would mean no life, you would be in uniform 24/7! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gifyou could get that kind of pay if you were chief of police. seriously look at the pay scale for them it really sucks! me and my hubby pulled alot of overtime i mean like 70 hours plus and still only brought home maybe 1600 every two weeks. trust me all the ot isn't worth not having a private life.
    kelly

11. TITAN

TITAN 1/2 ton status

I need phone numbers. I am still a reserve and always will be in Oklahoma. Help fill in gaps for small comunities around here when their guys need a day off, or when they need to use a sick day, if I can. But I would be more than willing to relocate to Washington to go back into full time law enforcement for that kind of money. WOW I have never heard of anyone other than a Sheriff or a Cheif of Police in a major metropolitan area makeing that kind of money, and accomplishing that takes mad ass kissing skills, and those I do not have. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif So I think that I am going to stick with what I do now, anything that pays, *LOL*. In the event that you do decide for a regular position in any department, remember (F7) in other words spell check, be very aware of an individuals constitutional rights they are like skating on thin ice, don't write it on anything if you do not wish what you wrote it on to become evidence and everything in it.

12. NEOMASTINO2U

if you are seriouse about it i could get you name and numbers of who to call, everett is hiring and so is lynnwood and i belive bothell is there are a couple of other derpartments to but they all have websights that you can look up and see who is hiring, and the pay scale which i did say is really crappy but its better than say flipping burgers at mcdonalds!LOL! i can get you the web addresses if you want just let me know.
    kelly

13. k5ntexas

k5ntexas 1/2 ton status

ok so i know who all the po-po's are in here. lol. later.

jacob

14. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Are you down around OKC?

15. TITAN

TITAN 1/2 ton status

No I am S.E of OKC. A little community in the middle of no where. I lve in Ada, Ok. now and help a few of the surrounding municipal departments that are around. I really like to help on Holidays. After my families do whatever it is that they are going to do on Thanksgiving, Christmas etc.. I go on call if they need anyone so that the employeed officers or full time guys can spend sometime with their families on the holidays. Sometimes it works out and sometimes it does not. I try though. Really it depends on who the Cheif of Police is at the time and wether or not htey will allow it, I have had some that don't and there have been some that welcome it.

As for the numbers and web sites I would more than appreciate having them. For that kind of money I would really concider going back to full time. Not really my first choice for employement but for that kind of money I am so there. Does Washington get OU games on ESPN?

16. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    holy crap! i have never heard of a cop making that much a year

[/ QUOTE ]

SCPD - Suffolk Long Island. Starting pay is 50K.

A couple SCPD get to bust crack houses, but most of them sit in their cars and write tickets all day.

NYPD starting pay is 30K, capped at 50K. And those guys actually get shot at...

17. JROSS

JROSS 1/2 ton status

For anyone interested,

http://ci.redding.ca.us/personel/poentry.htm

Link to job posting for a entry level police officer. $19.77 - $27.82 hourly, D.O.Q, 4-10 shifts.

/forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Just curious, cause there's always depts. up in the Panhandle hiring /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif.

As far as OU football here on the West Coast, it sucks!!!!!!! I've caught one game (South Florda) on TV, they were supposed to show the Texas game, but when I got home, they had some homos in brick red uni's with this stupid logo on the helmet with a guy wearing a broom, so it's mainly internet broadcasts. I'm sure if you got satellite, you could get one of those packages that show all the games.

19. TITAN

TITAN 1/2 ton status

Cool, at least there would be some way to get it. As for the Holy Crap, I was reffering to 100k a year. That is alot of dead presidents, and I am telling you that if there is not brass, and a fair of it on a collar, then they are probably not getting it, and I can guarentee you that there are not but a hand full here in Ok. that gets skins like that.

20. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

The dude just got a K9, I guess detail you would say. So he "gets" to take his car home. Which he says is better 'cause when hes in the car he is working, and dosn't have to go to the station first. Although he said he usually does.
    I talked to my buddy today and he said that the dude worked nights and during the day would do like court apperances, for tickets he'd written or something. Now he works days with the K9 and dosn't do much overtime I guess.
    Like I said I'm checking on it 'cause thats alotta bread. State patrol is totally out though, I'm not taking any heat for 35K!