Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

any dewalt owners?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 84gmcjimmy, Sep 2, 2005.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I just bought a dewalt cordless drill/driver for 100 bucks on sale. It is 12v.
    For some reason the charger flashes red light like this : * * * * * * * (*=interval)

It says on the charger when it does that to replace the battery. But the batteries are new???

Anyone know?

2. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Charger flashes like that when it is charging the battery. When it is red, no blinking, the battery is fully charged.

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

wow really? it never said what it does when its charging so I will belieive that.
    Thanks

4. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Depends on how fast. A slow blink is charging ... a fast blink is the battery is shot. The difference is fairly hard to tell. :(

-- A

5. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

Ditto :waytogo:

6. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

if it is blinking fast, (no pause with light on, just on off onoff) indecating the replace pack, try unplugging it then plugging it back in, mine does it every once and a while and i just pull the batt and drop it back in and it goes away.

i use my 18v all day every day

7. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Easier to tell by the fact that it runs out of juice in a few minutes use than by a nebulously fast blinking light. Or it doesn't work anymore after ya drop it and split open the case, then duct tape it back up but drop it a lot more, then it only works for a few minutes before needing a charge.

8. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Hey, that sounds like what I did to my Sawzall ... split the cast aluminum case and didn't notice for a week :doah:

-- A

9. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

x3

I have to show this fairly often at work. I've called DeWalt and told them they need to program a more visible time difference in their indicator flash...

10. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

eh! Figured it out with some help from ck5! After a while of leaving it blinking, I walk over and its a solid red. So it charged! Yipee!

Darkshadow, I wanted an 18v, but they didn't have any. I don't think I will need that anyways...just some small home stuff.

thanks guys and girls

11. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

yeah 12 is fine for home stuff after a day of it you feel the wight of the drill 18v dewalt is heavyer they most drills

Last edited: Sep 3, 2005
  12. dodgedude99

dodgedude99 1/2 ton status

does anyone else have the 18v XRP packs and think their run time is a joke?

i have the 3 speed 18v drill, i get maybe an hour out of it drilling small holes.

i used it for the preluber on my motor, after a full charge, it was dead in 5 minutes.
    these are new/newer packs, i had gotten it this past xmas.

i had bought the Dewalt 18v recip saw for junkyard trips. same thing.
    i had found a 97 dodge 3/4 ton that still had the front axle.
    with full charge pack, i made it thru 2 1/2 control arms (just cutting them in half) before they went dead. needless to say, i took it back, it wasnt worth the $200 for 5 minutes of cutting with a 60 minute charge time.

13. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

the batterys are sensitive even thought they are better then old school ones.

YOU SHOULF NOT RUN YOUR BATTERYS DEAD. you need to wil old school ones but you should start chrgeing as soon as you notice a desernable drop in power.

as a batterys power is going down the volts drop, but if your still drawing on it the amps go way up and you can fry your battery.

you need to follow there instructions, charge befor storage, ect.

the 18volt dewalt is great for me i sugest you get some new batterys ( i need some too) i fire tech screws in all day and it still lasts along time (even though my batterys are half killed)

and yes the sawz all sucks back they juise fast, not for ripping all day but they are nice for little jobs.

14. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Cordless sawsalls and crooks..

The cordless sawsalls are not much good for cutting steel parts in a junkyard--not enough "run time"...but they are a boon to crooks breaking into houses--they run plenty long enough to saw thru a deadbolt lock,or padlocks..best thing since sliced bread for burgulars!..police often find a cordless sawsall in their bag of "burgulary tools" here when they arrest such crooks..right next to the bolt cutters and crowbar.. :mad: :crazy:

15. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

DeWalt 14 bolts are pretty good, I think the 18v weighs too much if you have to use it all day long, my favorite is the Panisonic it's a very good cordless drill but you cannot generally find them at the Home Depot, Lowes type of place, I have only found them at contractors supply stores.

16. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

yeah panisonic is a good drill also, a two guy shave the 15 volts at my work and they work good, a nice light drill to.

plus i hurd they are the ones who make all the coardless batterys out there.

17. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

we run tons of cordless stuff at work... being out on the docks most of the time its a nescesity.. our stuff goes thru some hardcore abuse..

i run Crap On in 18v for my Impact, Drill, flashlight, etc, they've held up well.. i also run the Dewalt 12.6 right angle drill.. the right angles go thru some serious use with us.. we have 4 in the company...

my boss just picked up like the 6 piece Dewalt 18v set.. right angle, circular saw, sawzall, drill, flashlight... they're a godsend for us... and have held up quite well.. no probs yet.. i'd really like the 4 1/2" grinder..

what i'd really like is the radio/charger that milwaukee has, but i don't think the Dewalt radio is a charger too...

18. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

Dewalt gives away free 18v batt's at nascar races
    that is all

19. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

The ones I sell at Lowe's are.

As stated above, the DeWalt XRP batteries are a bit sensitive. Follow the instructions, and they'll work fine for you. Disregard them, and you'll kill the cells in the pack and get 5min. runtimes. If you do a lot of 1-hour charges, you really should put the batteries on an overnight charge once a week. The DeWalt charger has some logic in it that "conditions" the cells better on the longer charge cycle, and that helps with runtime and battery lifespan.
    Apparently, DeWalt took quite a beating when the XRP's first came out due to the "fragile" nature of the batteries, but they seem to do a good job of educating the pro users at the contractor appreciation days at my store.

Again as stated above, Panasonic and Sanyo make 90% of the individual battery cells sold in the cordless tool market. They make the best batteries for voltage vs. runtime, and this is why professional R/C car racers (yes, there is such a thing...) use only Sanyo or Panasonic cells for their electric cars.

20. gambit420s

gambit420s 1/2 ton status

y'all should look at the new 28v lithium-ion tools milwaukee is now selling,
    i saw them demo'ed at a trade show and they were bad ass and lighter than their old 18v packs and a little lighter than dewalt's 18v,
    plus the runtime is much better with no fade till its almost completely dead