Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any Difference in 1973 Longbed and 1991 Longbed??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 90blzr, Nov 19, 2004.

1. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Can I use a 1973-75 long bed on my 1991 crewcab? My bed is a little beat, and I found a CHERRY/MINT long bed that is line-x'd inside and has the bed caps along the rails etc for cheap. Just not sure if they will bolt up the same or if there are any differences. Both are dual tanks....are the gas doors in the same spot?

Tailgates should interchange no problem...I guess its mainly the tanks and the mounting points.

In case anyone is interested, there is a MINT 1991 GMC front clip and 73-75 cab also, all cherry.

Thanks

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

As far as I know they're all the same with the exception of the gas tank fillers, 73-77 should have an exposed gas cap / 78+ have the doors. The only thing I can think that might have changed would be the plug for the tail light wiring harness (just swap the harnesses).

3. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

exposed fillers/caps? Ahhhhhhhh....didnt think about that! Dammit!!

Do they look whack? I cant remember exactly how they look.
    Hmmmm... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
    I think I like the doors better, but this bed IS cherry. /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

4. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Can I use a 1973-75 long bed on my 1991 crewcab? My bed is a little beat, and I found a CHERRY/MINT long bed that is line-x'd inside and has the bed caps along the rails etc for cheap. Just not sure if they will bolt up the same or if there are any differences. Both are dual tanks....are the gas doors in the same spot?

Tailgates should interchange no problem...I guess its mainly the tanks and the mounting points.

In case anyone is interested, there is a MINT 1991 GMC front clip and 73-75 cab also, all cherry.

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty sure they interchange; my /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif is a '74 and has an early 80's bed on it, with the gas doors.

I'm partial to the door-less set up as original in '74 ... but hey, it was cheap.

In your case, I'd say go for it.

-- A