Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any differences between 400 SBC and 454 BBC flexplates?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by thatK30guy, Nov 20, 2005.

1. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Jan 12, 2001
    I got a new one for my 454, but it does not have the dual bolt pattern for the convertor. All 6 holes are the same pattern and none of them align to the holes on the convertor.

A friend brought a flexplate that came off a 400. It has the external weight like the BBC, but looks slightly different. This plate has the correct pattern to mate to the convertor.

Question is; can the external balanced 400 flexplate work behind the 454 without problems? Or are there some differences between the two?
  2. Jimbo*

Jimbo* 1/2 ton status

Mar 8, 2005
    No, they don't interchange. They are different part numbers, and the counter weights are different(weights). 400SB is, if I remember correctly, 1oz lighter than 454BB.
  3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Jul 24, 2003

I have used ones for both hanging on a nail in my shop--they are slightly different,the 454 has 2 additional small weights tacked over the bigger one..both of the ones I have are a bit wore out in the teeth department..I don't know why I save some of the stuff I do! :confused: --but I guess they would work in a pinch..both of them have the "dual" bolt pattern..

You are missing one of the bolt patterns??---thats weird,because if they drilled all six holes,that means it SHOULD have both the TH350 and the TH400 patterns in it..unless maybe its a weird one for one of those HD 6 bolt converters,which I've only seen once in a van that had a 292 six..or in diesels..

You can swap TH350 and TH400 converters ,to get the right bolt pattern,if that helps you.. :crazy: