Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

any doubt about retreads.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gaspass, Sep 30, 2006.

1. gaspass

gaspass 1/2 ton status

I was actually considering getting some Hi-tec retreads until I saw some on E-bay this week with a huge patch of tread missing from "too much road use." Go to E-bay and search '35 mud tire' and look for the subtitle on retreads. That answers my question about whether they are safe to put on my family rig or NOT!

2. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

retreads if done right are better then originals. the problem is that some people will retread anything. Bandag is the number one retread company in the world. they x-ray there casings before capping them. there are millions of retreads on the road right now. most blow outs are not retreads but people lump them all together. tires are just like K5's, some of them are junk.

3. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I know it's different, but I've never had a virgin tire blow on a semi. Lot's of caps have peeled or blown though.

Of course they're not... how many people actually have re-caps on a car, SUV,
    or light truck?

4. obijuan

obijuan 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

as long as you keep proper inflation pressures and also the retread is only as good as the origional casing. get ones with as new DOT as possible, ans youll usually be ok.

5. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

6. muddermilitia

muddermilitia ThatTrazerGuy GMOTM Winner

haha I read the title quickly and i thought it said any doubt about retards:haha:

7. obijuan

obijuan 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

WHOA WHOA WHAO! thats junk to me, i could retread it again but thats from improper adhesion and depending on how much was buffed off it may not have a good chance at being another good retread because of not enough undertread. personally i would pass that up. or just buy use the two good ones and keep the third for a spare

8. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

and there is about 1/4 left of the tread. so thay had 3/4 of driven on them with no problems.

the cap is only as good as the guy capping them wants them to be. and casing quality is key in the prosses. most companys only cap up to 3 times on semi tires. and only so old on a casing for age of the casing.

and i have seen some that had 6-7 caps done. but to me thats not safe.

look in to hitec retrading some more. if thay do the bigger tires like the way i think thay are not retreads but remolds. made just like a new tire. but used a old cassing for the core guts.

9. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

I've got there muds with the Green Diamonds in 225/75R16 on my wife's '03 Suzuki Grand Vitara 4x4. Tread looks like the old Buckshot Mudders with the near continuous center zig-zag pattern and is consequently noticeably loud.

I'll give them this:
    They perform great. When we got this thing it had some Bridgestone "all seasons" that looked mild for a Subaru. Replaced them around Christmas with these and we instantly noticed it was much better in the snow and inclimate weather. The Green Diamonds really do grip the road. I have my own siping knife and haven't even thought of siping these, they don't need it at all. My wife loves them and has never had a problem with them on the road or in the little offroad we've done with the "still-has-a-payment-family-truckster".

The poor side of things:
    -HighTec took around a month to get them to us after repeatedly changing the arrival date. I ordered them before Thanksgiving '05 and they arrived the week before Xmas.
    -Their phone answering staff was positively horrible. This lady I always talked to was everything from evasive to rude and lots in between. It's my understanding that she's no longer with them though. The guys I talk to remind me of myself at my own work. Don't call me, I'm a warehouse guy, not a salesman. I bet they can retread a tire well but their phone skills are lacking.
    -The day after Christmas with 400 miles or so on them one had a tread failure. To HighTec's credit I simply took a picture, emailed it to them, and a week or so later received a new tire. Forget about any reimbursements for having to have the new tire mounted and balanced though. I brought it up during the phone call and in my email and both times it got completely ignored.
    -My wife recently pointed out that one tire...and then I noticed another one...have portions of the tread where the tread doesn't appear to be adhering to the carcass. The tread doesn't feel loose but around the sidewall where the new meets old there's a section that is loose. It's not flapping but it's not attached like the rest either.
    -I emailed them about these tires several months ago and got no reply.
    I called on Monday and they gave me some emailing instructions which I followed on Tuesday and they said they'd get back to me about them and their opinions on the tires' conditions. Going on a week and no reply...

Do I like the tires performance? Yes.
    Would I buy from them again? No.

For the money I spent for these I could have just saved a few more weeks and gotten some Kumho or Dunlop MT's from TireRack.com and probably never had ANY issues with them. Depending on what HighTec says about these tires...if they ever get back to me...I might just buy a new set of tires for it and toss these in the trash.

10. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

that service deff sucked bad. but there is no comarisoin to the green diamonds 1000s of carbide bits in the rubber threw all the depth.

but getting good service and quality can suck at time. i am luck in my area as we have the north easts only plant for green diamonds 5 min from me.

11. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

Yeah, we love those green diamonds. I wish they were more commonly available here in the States. I'd love some Interco TrXus MT's with the factory siping AND some green diamonds.