Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any draftsmen out there?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Blaze, Aug 26, 2002.

1. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

Hey, I have a question for you guys. I'm currently working for Purolator as their head draftsman. I do SolidWorks, Cadra, and AS400 stuff. I'm the only draftsman they have. I'm working temp for another month and then am going on permanent. I think they might stick me on my pay, so I was wondering what kind of pay I should be looking for. I'm making $12/hr as temp, so it has to be better than that. I have no degree, but am working on it from NC State, only have 3 more semesters. 22 years old, and am REALLY good at what I do. Can anybody help me here? You can PM me if you don't want to post here. Thanks!

2. dogman

dogman 1/2 ton status

Blaze:
    Don't count yourself short, try to get all you can going from Temp to Perm.
    That's the time to get that raise. plus it should mean they want you.
    If you don't get a good increase going in the door, it will be a long time coming.
    As you jump jobs your rate should increase like your experience.
    To tell you the truth, they should kick you up some bucks.
    If you show that your running the software and producing the drawings.
    You have the leaning curve complete and thats worth something to any company.
    The time that Purolator invested to get you up to speed, is worth more than; someone who will replace you.
    Keep after it, get that degree and that should get the bigger bucks too.
    Solidworks has become a very will known software.
    I'v got over 30 year experience in the Engineering field.
    Don't let them keep you down, you have lots of room to grow.
    Keep a positive attitude, your self confidents is what your selling.
    Your best salary increases will come when you change jobs..

good luck..
    <font color="orange">dogman </font color>
    /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

3. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

Well, I was just a draftsman, but the head draftsman took another job, so they put me in his place. Everyone here tells me to be careful or they will stick me. I just wanted an idea of what me pay should be, then I can go to them with it.

Thanks for the positive response! I really appreciate that, bud.

4. Djroffroad

Djroffroad 1/2 ton status

When working as a temp, I have never had trouble getting more money going perm.

Wages vary greatly between states and occupations. In Oregon in the Civil Enginnering field, $12 is and entry level position.

The best way to do this is to call some employers and ask for an informational interview. Many are willing to do this. You don't ask for a job. Just information on their company and the carrer field.

5. dogman

dogman 1/2 ton status

Will if they gave you more responsibilty, then you should get the bucks for it.
    The agency you work out of should tell you what your rate should be at, out there.
    If you can ask what the last guy made (if he was temp) and he moved on for more.
    Your agency should fight for you to get you the extra bucks.
    The employer has already moved you up, ask for more; it can't hurt.
    What can they say? No. (nothing ventured, nothing gained).
    I can see your point. don't leave any money on the table, that should be in your pocket..

6. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

Well, the HR manager's wife runs the temp agency. They might not fight as hard as others.....

7. dogman

dogman 1/2 ton status

Bummer, sounds like a conflict of interest.
    Even still, the agency should inform you of the rate that is equal to the job requirement.
    That might be good for both your advantages, get her to sweet talk the old man.
    Because more income for you should be more income to her agency.
    Which means, Her increase will go under the same roof for them../forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

8. JROSS

JROSS 1/2 ton status

I use ACAD map and work for the city in Redding, CA. I work in the electric department, we do pretty straight foward drafting, no 3D, mainly distribution maps and other projects. Enrty level here is about $15.00. Hope this helps. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

9. NoAngel

NoAngel 1/2 ton status

My brother is a computer draftsman and he said they pay around $14-$15/hour to start.(in Mass.)

10. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

$12!!!!!!!!!!

I'm hiring in temp for a company here in Tulsa, part time MY TIME as I have a full time job and I'm going in at $25/hr. AND THAT'S A LITTLE CHEAP!!!!

Depending on the job, I've only worked for less than $15 once, and that was a part time temp when I was in college.
    DO NOT SELL YOURSELF SHORT!!! If they want you or HAVE you in the lead draftsman position, write down a list of your job requirements in that position, what they expect etc... then put down your goals in that position, such as cut down lead time, less revisions (if possible), cleaner more productive work etc....
    Show them that you want the job and that you are going to be the best person they ever had in that position. Make them give you some REAL money.

BTW, solid modelers in these parts are snagging in the $30's an hour range. I'm doing process and power work. Mainly P&amp;IDs in AutoCAD 2002 and CADWorx. I work for a reseller for a fulltime job and pick up extra work on the side. A lead piper around here can pull in the $40s, if he's got the smarts and experience. I won't go back to doing it fulltime for ANYTHING less than $32-$35 and hour.

Just my $0.02

11. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

You hiring anybody? /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

12. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

I'll keep that in mind, that helped me out a lot! I really appreciate the responses!

13. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

HOLY SMOKES, I should have blew school off and jumped the border for some solid modeling work. Man I love that stuff it's fun. but just wasn't any jobs for it when I was looking back home.. O well I'm at Tech now guess I should just keep my butt planted and focused, any idea what kind of companies to watch for solid modeling jobs?

14. 19Jimmy87

19Jimmy87 Registered Member

Do an internet search for "Occupational Outlook Handbook" It is a government sight that gives awesome info on the wages of all jobs degreed or not. I don't recall the url, but it is out there. The census bureau does it. If all else fails, take the experience, when you get your degree, you'll have all the aces when pay talks start.