Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any "Drifting" fans?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by dontoe, Jun 26, 2006.

1. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Was that on water? Still pretty impressive on a bicycle.

3. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

thats pretty awesome. I watched the new fast and the furious movie the other night. It was pretty cool but the car the guy drove in the beginning got me excited and those little rice burners just dont seem to cut it for me. I also learned that fullsize chevys dont drift well.:eek1::D

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I don't know why these idjets think "Drifting" is something new. 25 years ago we were doing the same thing in muscle cars only it was called "Powersliding".

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I always thought it was being "loose" . And if you don't know how to steer with the throttle in a RWD car , you aren't really an American male :thumb:

6. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

if you watch footage of drifting competitions over in japan and china, its not exactly what the dukes of hazzard were doing in the 70s and 80s... some of these guys have amazing control over the cars and are very accurate with how they turn, brake, clutch and throttle...

7. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

They may have great control , but its just not the same in a fwd car . I wish my wifes Impala was RWD . Whoever likes it , likes it . Just not my thing . Nothing personal to anyone , just cut my teeth learning to control my cars in wet parking lots and backroads in Arizona .

8. 1BadK-30

1BadK-30 1/2 ton status

hahah thats awesome, i remember one time we took the tire off my bike and ran i on the rim, we would lean forward and pedal as hard as we could, it wouls sit still and would slide the back end around. Makes me think if im still up to it :haha:

9. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

It is a hell of a lot harder to control a slide with the throttle in a RWD car, that it is with a rear brake lever in a FWD car. To me, what people are calling "drifting" is actually just using a rear brake lever to drag the tail ass end of the car around with a FWD car.

10. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Actually "drifting" cars are RWD... Dont think I've ever seen someone do comps with a FWD car. Thats why the Nissan 240SX's, RX7's, Supras, 180sx's, etc are popular.

I wouldn't mind having a nice S15 Silvia(240sx) with a 300z straight 6... :D

11. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Yep, and we also called it a "Brodie" for some reason. "Drifting" has also been around since the first offroad race when regular race cars were beefed up to run on dirt roads before the trucks and modifieds became so popular. You can still see it in action in lots of the European races.

12. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If you watch drifting I doubt any of us in our younger days had the control over our cars as these guys do. All drift cars are RWD, and not all are japanese cars, I have seen an El Camino that does really well several vipers a couple of Ferraris, mustangs, camaros, vettes and the usual compliment of japanese cars. Ever seen 10 guys do syncronized 360s, about 15 of them, all the cars rotating equally, it aint easy. Anyway it doesn't matter if its a japanese sport or an american sport or whatever its cool. Love to watch the competitions. I am helping my brother in law build an old z car with a 302 to do some drifting, hopefully I am as good a driver as I think I am:haha:

13. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

It's nothing new. I'm telling you, we did the same thing years ago. Sure, it wasn't organized like it is now, but you can believe we were in full controle of our vehicles.

14. ARAMP1

ARAMP1 Aviator Extraordinaire

I always wanted to know...

How does one compete in drifting? It's obviously not speed since you could set up a car to not lose traction around a turn and go faster.

15. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Drifting isn't about speed and cornering it is about showmanship and control.
    The cars race on a road course. Judging is done on a portion of the course with good corners.
    Basicly in competition, if you pass someone sideways and your tires smokin you rack up lots of cool points.
    Passing someone with the tires having full grip is a forfit.
    If you are the leader. Points are awarded on your lines thru the corners, angle of drift, tire smoke ect.
    You are awarded points by judges on your passes or your performance as leader of th race.. Driver with the most points at end of race wins.
    Speed is a factor too. But just thru the corners. The straights are pretty irrevelent on a drifting course no judging is done there.. The faster you go thru corners sideways, holding a good line, and tires smoking the more points are awarded.
    RWD cars are the most popular for drifting. The new Mustangs are doing well in the sport.
    http://www.gotmustang.com/Default.aspx?tabid=257

There are also drifting shows where drifting teams do their stuff. They are all about showmanship and stunts. Both FWD and RWD compete at these.

16. muddysub

you both obviously have no focking clue as to what we're talking about... have you ever even heard of drifting competitions? you'll probably never see a FWD car in competition... and who ever said it was anything new? yes you were probably pitching youe elcamino or monte carlo sideways before i was even born, woo hoo, thats not drifting, anyone can do that ****.

http://drifting2.com/

go to that site, watch the videos, educate yourself so you can remove your feet from your mouths...

thankyou!!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Jun 27, 2006
  17. muddysub

thankyou, thankyou, thankyou!!!! im so glad someone on this site knows something about it! ugh... this macho, "oh i was drifting 30 yrs ago in my elcamino, these jap guys arent anything special" ignorant, blinded, narrow minded attitude around here pisses me off!!!!

18. muddysub

we're not saying its anything new!!!!! wake up!! we're just saying these guys are amazing drivers, much better than your typical musclecar driving, middle american guy who thinks hes the **** cuz he can slide his car around a corner..... maintain that slide, with the tires smoking, through 12 consecutive corners, videotape it and ill believe you.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2006
  19. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

LOL.. Someone struck a nerve! ;) :haha: I do see a few posts on some of the sites that have a few FWD cars mentioned. But it just doesn't seem the same to me since it's all about controlling the drift with the rear end and smoke output adds points... And I mentioned mostly jap cars, but alot of RWD amercian cars compete too! :)

Rene posted a sweet vid not long ago of the drift done in the new Duke of Hazard movie in the General Lee! Thats take alot of talent! I'll see if I can find it..

20. muddysub

yeah, no where did i say american cars cant do it, the new mustang is doing very well in competition actually, its just predominantly import cars that kick ass at it.