Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any Drummers Here?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BlazerGuy, May 14, 2004.

1. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Anyone a drummer? I wanna learn how. What's the best way?

[​IMG]

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I've wanted to learn my whole life and I have a 5 piece drum set although it is missing some parts.

One day I'll learn. I wish there was an easy way but I really don't think there is.

3. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I wish there was an easy way but I really don't think there is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Figures... /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif....I've been looking at new drums sets...I almost sh*t a brick! That sh*t is expensive! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif Time to hit up ebay...

4. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I started playing drums in 5th grade... Picked up my first drum set used for $300 after graduation from HS. A cheap used starter set is good enough to learn on. I learned the most when sitting in with a friends band during practice. Just like anything it takes practice to learn /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. 78GMC1/2TON4x4

78GMC1/2TON4x4 1/2 ton status

i got a set im wanting to sell! great beginners set with a new snare drum head on it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Does anyone know a good beginner's website? It seems every time I ask someone to teach me, it's like teaching someone to work on cars--the terminology really blocks me from understanding.

Many times I've done searches only to find few sites with info for more advanced players.

One day before I die, I'm going to learn to play. I'll definitely admit that while wrenching has come easily to me, trying to learn to play the drums was probably one of the most challenging thing I ever did--in the one lesson I had from a buddy. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

You can take lessons. Check with local music stores. They usually know who teaches in the area. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

My 4-year-old son has a kid-size drum set from First Act It's pretty decent quality for the price and he's already getting pretty good! I've been teaching him how to get the beat going with the bass, then add some cymbal, snare, and some rolls here and there. I took him to the drum room at Guitar Center a couple of weeks ago and let him play a big set, with LOTS of drums. The folks that work in the store were amazed at how well he could play. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

As for price, look for used sets, or watch the sales. Guitar Center had a 5 or 6 piece Yamaha set on sale last month for $399. Of course, you still have to buy cymbals, stands, hi-hat, etc. So yeah, you can drop some serious coin on drums!

8. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

*raises hand*

/forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

I have a Tama 5 piece, a couple other toms, gibralter double kicker pedal, zildjian cymbols, 3 crashs, ride, 15" high hat.
    I started playing in 5th grade also. Bought my first drumset in 6th grade.. Started a garage rock band in the 7th grade.. I took private lessons for a year.. I'd bring in my favorite cd's and get my teacher to show me how to play those insane double bass riffs in pantera songs. Double bass is what i'm best at. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif
    In High school we had a full on rock band, we'd get guests to sing for us, and jam with us at our performances.. even had a dude play trumpet with our band for sublimes 'date rape'.. another time had this other performer come out and freestyle rap over our band playing an old steve miller song.. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif we won battle of the bands, played at the talent show.. several parties.. Had a few original songs, but mostly covered Metallica, Hendrix, Sublime, Led Zep, a few other good songs.. Was a good time. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

9. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Beginner drum sets aren't too bad...about $500 in Musicaians friend. $500-1500 for a drum set is relatively cheap. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif It's an expensive hobby, My electric guitar rig cost me around $2,500. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

10. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    *raises hand*

/forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

I have a Tama 5 piece, a couple other toms, gibralter double kicker pedal, zildjian cymbols, 3 crashs, ride, 15" high hat.
    I started playing in 5th grade also. Bought my first drumset in 6th grade.. Started a garage rock band in the 7th grade.. I took private lessons for a year.. I'd bring in my favorite cd's and get my teacher to show me how to play those insane double bass riffs in pantera songs. Double bass is what i'm best at. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif
    In High school we had a full on rock band, we'd get guests to sing for us, and jam with us at our performances.. even had a dude play trumpet with our band for sublimes 'date rape'.. another time had this other performer come out and freestyle rap over our band playing an old steve miller song.. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif we won battle of the bands, played at the talent show.. several parties.. Had a few original songs, but mostly covered Metallica, Hendrix, Sublime, Led Zep, a few other good songs.. Was a good time. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!!!!!! We need to jam!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif
    My name isn't RJFguitar for nothin'... /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

11. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

One of my best friends back in Omaha drums for Slipknot.

12. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

no kiddin? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif to /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

13. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

i want to get the first act drums for my three year old. he has the guitar and loves it,he walks around playing and singing into his kareoki mike.i have digi pics i'll try to get up.he loves drumming though ,my wife said he got to play the big set at church one time.back when i still rented a house and was single my friend kept his kit at my house,he had the cage and everything about $3.100.00 worth of sh!t. he was a badass drummer ,but he's on the wrong side of the sod now. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

14. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    no kiddin? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif to /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

[/ QUOTE ]Yeap, no kidding.

15. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

sit down and bang on them! I did that and was decent til I couldn't fit the drums in my new place, so my brother fooled around on them at my mom's house, and he's kickin arse and takin names now. He's got a full rock band thing doing gigs and all that.

Just sit down and jam with yourself. Only drawback to that is that when you sound dumb, the whole neighborhood knows cause they're so friggin loud...

16. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

just got done jamming to Zep's Kashmir. I have twin Yamaha 500 watt amps in my system and had it cranked!!!!! Bonzo Rules /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif