Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any electricians here?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by fordeater, Mar 19, 2005.

1. fordeater

fordeater 1/2 ton status Premium Member

ok, so i just bought my new compressor. Only problem is i have to wire a new breaker and wire to the garage from the breaker box in the house. I have no problem doing this, i just don't know what amp breaker or what size wire to use. I don't know how you determine this either. Here is the compressor i got, so maybe somebody can look at it and tell me what size breaker and wire i need to get.
    http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00916561000&subcat=Stationary+Tank+Compressors

2. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

If I were doin it I'd use a 30 amp double pull breaker and at least ten gauge wire if it's 240 single phase. How many feed wires come into your breaker box?

3. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

well the amps are what you need to determen the size wire, if i were you i would run a 6 gauge 3wire to the gerage and wire it up to a pony pannel.

that will be enuff for 60 ams, that will let you run a lot of stuff off it.

the air compressor will prob need 30 ish amps so 8 gauge

4. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Yea actually a pony panel wouldn't be a bad idea. But you still need to know what your feed to the house panel is.

5. fordeater

there are 3 wires coming into the breaker box. This is a duplex, so i want to run the wire, but not spend a ton of time and money on the project since i'm renting.

6. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Some additional info is required to properly size the wire. How far from your house panel to the compressor is it? Besides the listed amp draw of the compressor, the distance from the breaker panel will determine your wire size. But in general, #10 copper wire with a 2 pole 30A beaker is what is required. Anthing larger will be a waste of money.

7. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

What Derf said. You only really have to worry about the distance from the panel to the garage if it is over 200 feet, which is probably not likely. A 30A two pole breaker and #10 AWG wire will be sufficient as long as your compressor draws 24 amps or less. DON'T FORGET TO PULL A GROUND!

edit: I just looked at the specs on your compressor. It says the motor draws 15 amps. You should put it on a 2 pole 20A breaker and run #12 wire to it. Even with the inrush (starting) current, which is calculated at 125% of the running current, you only draw 18.75 amps, so a 20 amp circuit is good to go. FWIW, when you but a receptacle and a cord cap, you're going to need a NEMA 6-20R (receptacle) and a NEMA 6-20P (plug). If you have to supply your own cord as well, get a 6" length of 12/3 SO cord, the appropriate sized cord grip, and have at it.

8. fordeater

its only about 20 or 25 feet from the breaker box to the garage, so not far at all

9. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

At 20-25ft mofugly13 is correct.