Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

any electricians in the house?

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by jekbrown, Nov 11, 2004.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

finally ready to do some welding, at looong last... but first I need juice. Anyone here actually an electrician? To do things right, I'd be willing to pay a pro. Manual says I need a NEMA 6-50R type receptacle to plug into. The garage I'm using has been recently installed/wired, so everything should be up to code and junk. I also want the receptacle to be pretty close to the fuse panel (10' or less), so parts-wise, this shouldn't cost much at all to do. Just wanna guru to help me out. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

any takers?

j

2. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif 110v or 220v? Guessing 220v from the sounds of that plug. Wiring is easy. Are you going from scratch, adding a breaker and also the wiring?

I am not a professional electrician by any means, but have done a lot of wiring while remodeling houses n stuff. I just added this 110v wiring to my garage for my welder and other power tools. My garage is seriously underpowered, so I added a dedicated circuit for the welder, and another circuit for an extra light and extra outlets. Welding circuit is on a 20 amp breaker using 12/2 wiring, and the other is a 15 amp circuit using 12/2 wiring. I also used the commercial grade outlets since I will be running a lot of juice through them.

[​IMG]

3. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Dood..that's easy chit. One thing to ask is.....is the shop already wired for 220 anywhere? If so, it may be as easy as switching out a wall plug. If not, it still easy. But..before you do any of it. Get it in writing from your landlord that it's ok w/ her. If you don't and something goes wrong, they could come after you legally.

4. T-ROY

T-ROY 1/2 ton status

My neighbor has been an electrician for years and just opened his own company this year. He wired my garage for me and I'm sure that he would do your's too. I'll ask him what he would charge if you want. He is here is Vancouver, but I don't know what his company name is. I'm sure it wouldn't be much, my plug only took about twnety minutes to run.
    T-roy

5. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

/forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

6. jekbrown

yeah, actually there is a 220v outlet in there already. Its a different type rated at lower amps though. I'm gonna snap a couple of pics of what I have right now... brb.

j

7. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Hey now... /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif It's not like it a compressor or anything /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

8. jekbrown

lol! heres the pics of what I have. Work order inside my garage's fuse box says it was installed in 2002 so thankfully there isnt any 90 year old wiring to deal with. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Heres the fuse box, sorry for the blurry pic. The main breaker is rated at 60amps... hopefully with the welder plugged in I'll be able to have a light on at the same time. lol!!

[​IMG]

if not, I could always run an extension cord from the house. Anyway, attached to a 30amp fuse with some pretty beefy wiring is this thingy...

[​IMG]

...and the only thing coming out of it is the wiring leading to this 30A/250v twist-lock style receptacle...

[​IMG]

I can't just change receptacles because all the junk in the garage needs to be kept functional as it is right now because Im going to be sharing the space with the landlord and her hubby has some experimental fire-control system junk in there... not to mention that AFAIK I need a 50amp fuse for the welder, and the one connected to the line control thing is only 30amp.

j

9. jekbrown

[ QUOTE ]
    My neighbor has been an electrician for years and just opened his own company this year. He wired my garage for me and I'm sure that he would do your's too. I'll ask him what he would charge if you want. He is here is Vancouver, but I don't know what his company name is. I'm sure it wouldn't be much, my plug only took about twnety minutes to run. T-roy

[/ QUOTE ]

sounds like a plan, lemme know what he says. I'm sure he'd prolly need to see what I have now to give me a complete estimate, but yeah find out for me. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I thought about using help for other non-electricians who have done wiring (my dad wired our old houses basement himself) but then I got to thinking... this place is rented... if something goes wrong and "joe blow" did the wiring, Im so fawked its not even funny. lol!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif better have some kind of professional do the job just for liability reasons...

j

10. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

You'll need to add a dedicated 60A circuit for your welder. You'll need to determine what the wiring is coming into the shop. If it's not rated above 30A, you're hosed. No big breakers for you. If T-roy's buddy can't make it over, let me know. A good friend of mine is a contractor/journeyman sparky. He's licensed in WA and OR for residental and heavy industrial/commercial. He knows his stuff. He lives in Felida, so it's not like its all that far away for him to swing by and check it out.

11. jekbrown

roger wilco. Hopefully I'm not screwed on the whole 60a thing... lol! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

j

12. T-ROY

T-ROY 1/2 ton status

I'll try to get ahold of him tomorrow, as long as hes not doing the "soccer dad" thing.

13. k2-k5

k2-k5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

The main breaker is rated at 60amps... hopefully with the welder plugged in I'll be able to have a light on at the same time. lol!!

[/ QUOTE ]

If you only have 60 amps incoming service and your welder needs 50 amps, This seems very borderline. But I'm only an amatuer. Hopefully you only need 50 amps for welding very thick plate.

14. jekbrown

yeah, it is... on the other hand, I can run an extension cord in from the house for lighting... and there is nothing else "on" in the garage, just the welder. AFAIK, it oughta be ok... not to mention that I doubt I'd hardly ever have the thing cranked all the way up, unless i was cutting 3/8" plate with it or something. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

j