Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any emmission tricks? New Motor Fails horribly

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, May 7, 2003.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I just took my K5 in for inspection since I want it to have new inspection when it goes for sale. They didn't even bother inspecting because it didn't pass emissions. In fact it failed horribly. One score was 2 times the limit and one was 6 times the limit. The other was about 1800 points below the limit of 2000 something. This makes no sense to me. Can boring a blow and installing a real slight lift cam really affect emissions that much? I replaced my 305 with a 350 bored .030 over. You would think a 305 that burned a quart of oil a week would do way worse on the test than a fresh good engine. My cats are gutted and I am sure that would bring my score down a bit but the 305 passed with the same setup.

2. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

If the motor is really new you may need to run it a bit to make sure the rings are seated properly.
    Also adjust the carb before you go in to run really lean.
    They make some gas addative that is supposed to help too, but I don't know of anyone that has used it.

My suggestion is to move someplace w/o emissions checks!!

POOH

3. the cork

the cork 1/2 ton status

ive heard from some that if you get out on the highway
    and drive it enough to heat the cat up nice and hot
    before you take the test it helps, but im not sure if
    this is true or how much difference it makes, all i
    know is it sucks, /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

heating up the cats won't help they are both empty /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif. Some real ones would help but the 305 passed like this. I think it is running fairly lean. So I thought anyway apparently not. And yeah moving could help or talking to one of my friends with an inspection license /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Are you failing on the idle test or the dyno portion? My old 355 would always fail the idle test due to the longer duration cam. I spent $25 and had it hooked to a 4 gas analyser to confirm the carb was set right and see what everything else looked like before re-testing. The guy there bumped my idle speed up to 950 and you should have seen the numbers drop!

For three years after I installed that cam (Comp Cams 260HE) I'd turn my idle speed up for the test and then back down to 650 after it had passed.

My truck also had a 305 originally, and when tested had headers, no cats and flowmasters. The P.O. had removed anything that even looked like it was emissions related...it didn't even have a carbon canister anymore/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Rene

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I am idling a little low, probably 600 or so, think bumping it up to closer to 1000 would help? I have been trying to get my idle up for a while. I crank and crank and crank that idle adjuster and it never seems to change.

7. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Retard the timing so it still run's but just barely. Add about a gallon of Isopropyl alcohol to the fuel tank, [better if tank is about 1/4 full], remove air cleaner element, [reinstall after test], slow the idle down to it's minimum so engine still run's. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

8. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Yup. Isopropyl alcohol (Rubbing Alcohol) Works every time.
    Just make sure your engine tuned and is is warmed up good. And you have 1/4 tank or less of gas.
    I had a very radical Baja Bug with a hot 1835CC engine that because of the cam I ran would never pass smog. But if I leaned it out a bit added rubbing alchol or ran methanol it would pass no problem. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. 76SILVERADO

76SILVERADO Registered Member

dont use isopropyl alcohol....has water..... use denatured alcohol it will lower CO alot.. raising idle does help also, i usually back timing to 4 before TDC

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I am 4 degrees advanced right now idling at about 900 I think(tach broken). Don't have to worry about it. I am under 5000 miles a year so I am gonna get the exemption and be set. If you drive less than 5000 miles in a year you are exempt in my state.

11. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

You think your buddies "adjustments and modifications" to your carb from your post yesterday has anything to do with how rich your truck now runs? /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Maybe you should put your carb back together the way Rochester designed it to be.

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I don't really think so cause if anything it smells less of gas than it did before. It used to stink of raw fuel.

13. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Your sniffer is broken, please try a gas anaylizer !