Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any English majors in the house? sentence grammatically correct?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by XHitman396, May 4, 2007.

1. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

"I agree to an extent, some business classes' requirement for making an A are that you remain conscious for a class or two and show up for tests."

Disregard the content, but with respect to "classes'" is this sentence totally correct? Thanks..

2. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

Not totally correct. Although the plural posessive could be correct.

3. mr.smartass

mr.smartass 1 ton status Premium Member

I'm no English major, (business actually... you asshole. :D ) but as far as the plural possessive form of classes goes, you are correct.

4. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

More detail one my previous post :)

"requirement" doesn't agree with the noun. Since you list 2 requirements it should be two requirements - or list one requirement and change the noun to is.

And - I'm not an English major either - so just remember this may be akin to taking legal advise from Fumes...

5. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Better worded:

To an extent, I agree; showing up for one or two classes and tests are requirements for recieving an A in some business classes.

6. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

Fubeca, you da man. i knew something was wrong but for some reason couldnt put my finger on it. and i didnt write that, someone said that to me (online obviously), and the debate started because i knew that something wasn't right (what Fubeca pointed out) and she refused to accept it. yeah, i only spend my time doing things productive..:rolleyes:

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

shiat, if we are really going to go after that sentence lets start with how one goes about "making an A." Earning would work.... but "making"? If anyone is "making" an A, it's the prof. William F. Buckley Jr. would not be happy. :tongue1:

j

ps: yes, this is sarcasm. My written English sucks, unless I am writing a paper for school. When I type here on CK5.... I format things as if they are part of a conversation.... with lots of "....."s instead of the "ummmm"... "ahhhh"... "errrrs"... I would probably be making vocally in real life.