Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any ex smokers?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BLZN4FN, Jun 25, 2004.

1. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

Damm I need to quit smoking bad. What did everyone do/use to quit smoking? I was thinking about it the other day and damm
    started at age 14 and now i'm 33. 19 years of a bad habbbit
    I think its time to quit.

Bo

2. NerdBoy

NerdBoy 1/2 ton status

A few things that helped me.

1) I had to quit for myself. I had to remind myself of the benefits of quitting. (not just the living longer thing, either. I'm talking about how I could breathe again, and sleep better because of that.) Quitting because someone else wants you to will never work.

2) I had to realize how mental it really is. Took me a few tries at quitting to get to figure that out. When I realized that I could control my cravings with my mindset, I then knew that it could be done. When I got a craving, I would find something to take my mind off it, for a bit.

3) Unless you are the type of person that really cares about what others think, ignore that crap about "telling people about your decision to quit, for support" that so many "experts" tell you to do. I told only the people close to me, the time that I actually did quit. The previous times, before I figured out that mental thing, I told a few people, and, when I started smoking again, all it did was make me want to put my cigarette out on their left eyeball, when they made the comment: "I thought you quit smoking"

4) For a lot of people, it isn't about quittng cigarettes, as much as it is about changing habits. I smoked when I worked on cars. Overcoming that habit was the most difficult, but once that habit was broken, it became easier to deal with.

5) To break your habits, I suggest that you take a few days vacation. Go somewhere new, and quit there. It will keep your initial cravings down, as you won't be doing the same things that you normally smoke while doing.

Most of the "expert" advice I read was pure BS. It wasn't until I realized that overcoming smoking was mental, more than anything else, that I realized that I could quit, and be successful.

Best of luck, and remember, no matter what anyone else tells you, it really isn't that difficult to do. And, as long as you believe that, it won't be.

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

When my dad was still around he was trying to quit, what he did was he bought a whole bunch of mints to occupy himself instead of smoking, and if he still have the crave, he bought cigars, which have alot less nicotine in them. It worked for a dfew months, but when he found out he was going to die, I guess he sort of gave up and started cigarettes again. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Good luck, I have never smoked, but being with my dad the whole time, it would be really hard to smoke. And realize that if you try to quit, and keep away from cigarettes, you will have a bad temper because you can't handle not smoking. Good luck /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Smoking sucks, I still occasionally crave a cigarette. I quit after 9 years, have been smoke-free since 1/2001 (except a butt on 9/11). There are 3 things I attribute my quitting to:

1. In health class in high school, a teacher told us that after 10 years of smoking, permenant damage is done that your body cannot heal from. Pretty dumb, but I think I subconsciously remembered that and stopped where I'd drawn a mental "recovery" line.

2. God - Hard to explain, but I couldn't have stopped smoking if I didn't have faith in God.

3. The smell that constantly followed me.

I tore a half full pack up and threw it out, threw out my spares, and fought the strongest cravings for a couple days successfully.

The best advice I can give you is start when you're strong. When you're in the moment feeling "I hate this crap, I need to quit NOW", rip up and throw out all your butts and spares, screw the cost. Make cigarettes as inaccessible as you can, and don't play the "after this pack" game, cause it never ends.

5. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

I'm going on about 12 weeks now since I quit. This is the 8th time that I've tried to quit, the longest I've gone was the last time, whick lasted for 7 months. That time I started up again because... I don't know, just because, I guess. I had a cig one day with a freind because I thought that I was over it and I would be able to have one without a problem, and all those old feelings came back, it was all downhill from there.

This is the first time I've gotten help. I used the gum and it really did help. It still takes a lot of willpower, but at least when you have a really bad craving you can pop in some gum and know that your cravings are purely mental about 5 minutes later. For me, beating the mental craving is easier than the physical ones, because if the mental craving beats me it makes me feel weak.

I think that there are two things that are helping me this time. The first is that I allow myself to have a smoke every couple of weeks, and the second is that I have a real good reason to quit - my wife is pregnant with our first kid, and I always promised myself I'd quit before I became a Dad. On the occasional cig - I know that it goes against common logic, but every other time I've tried I've convinced myself that if I EVER have a cig again, it would be all over. This time I allow it on occasion, and it actually helps because I focus on the negatives while I do it - the nasty smell it leaves on me, the burn as the smoke enters my lungs (as a smoker this is a good feeling, but I focus on what it's doing to me), and also I think about my Dad, which relates to the second reason.

My Dad was a chain smoker his entire life, probably still is, but not like I'd really know. My biggest memory of him is of him smoking all the time, and always smelling like stale cigarette smoke. He smoked in the house, in the car, on the plane when we went on trips (Yes, you used to be able to smoke on planes, for those young'uns that don't know), at the table during meals, he smoked literally everywhere. So now my wife is pregnant with our first, a boy. I don't smoke nearly as much as my Dad did/does, but even so, I don't want my son to have his biggest memory of me to be the disgusting way that I always smelled. Seems petty I guess, but it isn't to me, for some reason.

All of that aside, the biggest reason that I've always wanted to quit is because I hate *needing* anything. I felt like a slave to my cigarettes, if I ever left the house and forgot them I'd have a little mini-panic attack because I knew that in a couple of hours I'd be feeling like crap. Travelling by plane sucked too, 6 hours with no cigs and when you try to smoke in an airport people react like your a leper trying to hump thier leg. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif That was always a good reason to smoke though, because it pisses people off. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

SO yeah, in summary - You have to really really want to quit for yourself, or for a reason close enough to your heart that you truly want to quit because of it. Get some help, I recommend the gum because it's a physical thing you can do to help the cravings. It's kinda pricey but worth it, plus you won't use as much of it as the directions say to because after a week or so you'll start using less, only because it's not nearly as fun to do as smoking a cig. I bought one box, about $50, and still haven't used the whole thing. Lastly, when you quit, get rid of all of your cigs that are laying around, or just wait to quit until you've smoked them all. Vow to NEVER EVER buy cigs again, if you cheat every so often like I do, bum the smokes. This is an easy way for me to only have a cig on occasion sicne I smoke an unusual brand and refuse to smoke a different one, since they taste totally different. This won't really work for you if you smoked Marlboro lights and work or live with a bunch of other people that smoke. Eventually I hope that I'll wake up one day and realize that I haven't had a cig in a year, a that point I'll know that I've quit for good. Right now I still take it day by day, but 12 weeks in I'm still feeling strong.

Wow, that's a novel and a half...

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i quit when i was 20, smoked since 13, what i did for a whole week out here was stay out here and stay under vehicles day and night in the summer whhen it was actually decent out night and day, i even brought a TV outside and i was laid off at the time so i avoided any workers who smoked, and i also did not go to any stores or gas stations during that week, i just kept myself busy as hell all that week, smashed my cigs, didnt bum any off anyone who stopped by,

best thng i ever did so far, and ive not done very many right things, but this was one right thing at least.

smoking is the most nastiest stinkiest messiest most desrepectful to self and others habit,
    my brother smoked since around 14 or so, managed to quit a couple years ago til around last winter, now smokes full time again, his g/f smokes, so im sure that is why he does now again, /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif i hate being around the crap, but at least i wont let myself start up again, now way in hell,

good luck

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I quite for 4 months. Now I only smoke about 1 pak a day as where I was at almost 3 paks a day.

8. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Damn, I don't see how it's even possible to smoke 3 packs a day... 60 cigs, awake for about 16 hours, that's what, 4 cigs an hour or so, so every 15 minutes. I guess that's not as much as I thought, seeing as how my Dad used to light them one off the other, he'd use a lighter in the morning and not have to pick one up for the rest of the day. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

9. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

After watching my dad die from smoking, I decided I had enough and quit cold turkey.Once you quit kidding yourself and decide to put them down for good,, you will.
    All this "help you quit stuff" is a crock,no one is putting those things in your mouth but you. Put them down today and never pick one up again. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Your body will thank you. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

10. mudgirl1972

mudgirl1972 Registered Member

i am in the process of quitting also. yes it is very hard mentaly to quit smoking, what i have been doing is taking wellbrutin, it is a anti depressent that is also used as a drug to help quit smoking, generic is out now and its like 10 bucks for a month. it helps take the craving away, makes them taste like a dog [darn] in your mouth, needless to say i only smoke a-when my husband is driving and b-at work, i'm a nurse and very stressed. nictine is out of your system in 24 hours. it also helps that all my patients are vent dependent, the machine that breathes for you, seeing people who are 45 and will not live to see the end of the year.