Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

any experiance with POR-15?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dodgetruck91, Jan 18, 2004.

1. dodgetruck91

dodgetruck91 Registered Member

just wondering if anyone has had any experiance with POR-15? if so how do u like it? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

I did the floorboard from the pedals to where it goes up in the back 2 years ago and it seems to be holding up. I did the part of the bed by the tailgate and rockers 3 years ago no new rust.

I also used there engine paint last year and it took a week to dry but its as shiny as the day it was painted.

3. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Do a search, this has been brought up numerous times...usually people like it but it's expensive... /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

4. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

When I did my narrowing job I found some pretty impressive rust. I plan on using it as it seems to overall get good reviews.

5. b55baron

b55baron Registered Member

I've sprayed it with good results. I buy the 4 oz. cans because once a can is opened, it has a fairly short shelf life.

6. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Did my frame and axels with it with great results /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

My shelf life has been pretty good- I got the larger quart sized sucker, and just sealed it back up and put it in the fridge. Been there for at least a year, just used it on some rusty brackets and tools, still works good. Taking a piss long time to dry in freezing weather.

8. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

i agree, the shelflife is good. the key is that skin that develops. we buy qrts at work, as long as you clean the seal area up like new it lasts a long time. leave some down in the seal and you practically have to mangle the can to get it open again.. i've seen guys try using saranwrap under the lid, etc, doesn't work... ya just gotta clean it good..

9. mastercraftkpk

mastercraftkpk 1/2 ton status

POR-15 is the best.

There is another product called Rust Bullet (just like POR-15 at the same price), and another "primer" type product that must be topcoated made by a company called Wasser (Wasser MCMIOZINC) that is 40% cheaper than POR-15. All of these are moisture cured urethanes.

A small step in ability, but a big step in cost down from there is a product called ZERO RUST. It is not as mean as a moisture cured urethane, but is adequate for what you will prob. need and is a lot cheaper. It also comes in a spray can for those hard to reach areas if you don't have spray equipment.

COSTS

POR-15 $95.00/gal
    Rust Bullet $95.00/gal
    Wasser miozinc $58.00/gal (must be topcoated)
    ZERO RUST $36.00/gal $6.25 in aresol can

I have used them all in the past 6 months.

POR-15 and Rust Bullet are nice because they are a 1 step, mean-ass, never have to do it again product.

The Wasser is good as well, but needs a topcoat of something (any spray can topcoat will do). It gives you POR-15 results @ a little less $$.

Zero rust is a close second to the moisture cured urethanes at a lower price, and leaves you w/ more beer $$$.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

10. ryoken

hmmm, we pay about 16 a qrt for POR 15 if memory serves me correctly... guess we're getting a decent discount then... i'll have to remember to check retail next time i order it.

tell ya what, that stuff goes a long way..

11. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

[hijack]
    i want to use por-15 on my frame and im trying to figue out how much i need. a 4 ounce can covers 12sq ft. i think i need 1 quart and 1 pint, 48 ounces. think this is enough or should i buy a gallon? oh yea im doing a long bed and probably the axles also.
    [end hijack]

12. Sidepipes

Sidepipes 1/2 ton status

I sprayed my Vette's new frame with rust bullet then top coated it with stain black paint.

I haven't ever used POR15 so I don't know about its durability versus Rust Bullet.... but I have my own test going on in the back yard and the rust bullet seems to resist rust fairly well--- a lot better than normal paint and it is significantly harder than normal paint.

I bought Rust bullet because it was cheaper than POR15(only by a little) and Plus it is aluminum coloured so I can paint paints and leave them aluminum or buy some cheap topcoat and paint them a different colour.

P.S. I used 1.5 quarts when I sprayed the frame.... with a lot of waste( I tried to use a garden sprayer to spray the inside of the frame rails)

13. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

The por-15 is so tough I spilled Aircraft stripper on my frame after it was finished and it did not hurt the por at all /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. ryoken

Sidepipes, just so your aware for the next time, if you want to try out the POR 15, it is available in silver. probably very similar to the Rust Bullet i would assume..

15. widowmaker

widowmaker Registered Member

por-15 is great used it on my axles and even the road salt can't touch it but i warn use dish washing gloves cause once its on you it takes quite some time to get off the skin and the can will last long if youdont use it all if you put a plastic bag between the lid and the can hope ever thing works out /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. stretch67

stretch67 1/2 ton status

por-15 is the $hit i did my frame and axles with it. it is very tough! as for coverage i put 2 coats on a lwb truck frame inside and out including all xmembers and spring hangers as heavy as i could and it took about a half a gallon! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

17. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

how did you apply it?

18. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

19. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

How much of a PITA was it to do the whole inside of your K5? If you had to do over again, would you have done the whole inside or gone another route?

Kris

20. stretch67

stretch67 1/2 ton status

i used a brush! it is self leveling even on vertical surfaces. you can spray it but it sounded like a pain and don't use the ggod spray gun ! also don't let it dry on your skin (don't wear shorts when applying i never said i was smart! they should call it does not come off skin when dry !) /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif