Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any favorites in aluminum wheels?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bigk, Dec 2, 2001.

1. bigk

bigk 1/2 ton status

I still like a little shine, and the light weight would be great, too. Any advice on wheels that hold up well to abuse and large tires? I need 8 lug, either a 16x10 or 16.5x9.75. Will eventually run a 38 or so.

Karl
    Temporarily Unemployed Underwear Model
    87 3/4 ton

2. Lotsa_Faith

Lotsa_Faith 1/2 ton status

around here in dallas, it seems like one of the more popular wheels is the American Eagle 589 wheel...i think its a good looking wheel, and im pretty sure they're pretty light cause they're aluminum...don't cost too much either for the look...

Mike Dee

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

<font color=red>WELD RACING!!! <font color=blue>These have got to be the best wheels and also the strongest. These Super Single series wheels have some 3200 lbs. weight rating on them. Stronger than any other aftermarket aluminum OR steel wheel!! [​IMG] [​IMG]</font color=blue></font color=red>

I'm not picking my nose...I'm just pointing at my brain!! [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>The K30 Collection</a>

4. bigk

bigk 1/2 ton status

Wasn't that you a while back that said you had a crack in your Weld wheel and the company wouldn't stand behind it? I always thought they were the ultimate until I read that. Correct me if I'm wrong. It's happened before.

Karl
    Temporarily Unemployed Underwear Model
    87 3/4 ton

5. ImpalaSS

ImpalaSS 1/2 ton status

deffintly WELD RACING 589s if your on a budget

68 SWB 4x4 1 of 1,449 made 327, 465 4 speed, rockwell tcase, dana44, 14 FF, <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/68K10>http://communities.msn.com/68K10</a>

6. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

ummmm....I think you mean Eagle 589's[​IMG][​IMG]

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Welds. Rated for insane amounts of weight (already stated) and up to a 44" tire.

Also, look really good, but come with an equally high cost.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

8. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

when aluminum and rock colide the aluminum fails. Steel bends you can hammer a steel wheel back into shape enough to hold air most of the time. Also dirt cheap. Get some cheap steels for the trail and get a nice wheel for the street with a AT for nice maners.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

9. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

that was me....I had a Weld Super Single crack, just enough to leak air. I thought I had a leaky tire but it was the wheel. I called Weld and they said I was out of warranty period, which I WAS, but only by a few weeks. It might have been less, I have forgotton. Anyway, I thought they would be interested that their top of the line wheel failed in light usage, but they were totally uninterested. I sent the wheel to Stockton Wheel for repair. They said it was not repairable. end of story. I am running a set of unknown aluminum wheels gotten from junkyard at the moment.
    Steve

SteveB

10. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Nope, that was Steve 87K5. [​IMG]

I'm not picking my nose...I'm just pointing at my brain!! [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>The K30 Collection</a>

11. 87superblaze

87superblaze 1/2 ton status

I like the Mickey Thompson Classic II Rims. They are rated for up to 3,300 lbs!! The price is much nicer than Weld Racing too. I think it's around $130 each. It would be worth checking them out.

12. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Go with the Weld Racing wheels...they are forged and are mad strong in comparison to American Eagle wheels... I would get the Welds put they are a bit more expensive than The AE or American Racing wheels...

<font color=red>1987 Blazer K5, 4" Rancho Lift, 33" BFG AT, Dual Battery setup, AND MORE TO COME [​IMG]
    Was that a speed bump? No, just a Rice Rocket </font color=red>

13. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

I'm going to go to 16x10" rims and am going steel. I'm looking at some rockcrawler rims that are the star version. 70 bucks a wheel!

Don't hit me, Mr. Moderator... I'll go back on topic... I swear![​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer>www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer</a>

14. MITCH_89'

MITCH_89' Registered Member

American Eagle 589's!

BLAZE IT UP!!

15. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

No contest...WELD RACING. However, I also like the ORIGINAL Alcoas, not the cast aluminum ones. I just picked up a set of 15"x12" Alcoas and they are TWICE as heavy as a 15"x12" Weld. The Welds can also be hammered back into shape somewhat. I hate the look of a copycat aluminum rim...makes ya look like a cheap-a*s!!! LOL!!! But hey, that's just my stupid preference!!!

ken